PDA

View Full Version : Dying for any help or advice! Horizontal streaking with my nVidia GeForce DDR

Jim Keyes
July 6th 03, 12:12 AM
And by "horizontal streaking", I don't mean that I'm running down the
street buck-naked. Ha. (Sorry my frustration with this problem is
making me loopy.)

That's streaking as in dark parts of any image seem to "smear" to the
left and right, all the way across the screen.

The monitor (a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200) works fine when plugged
into a different computer. But when it's plugged into this one, it's
screwy.

I *used* to use a keyboard-video-monitor switch (one that would
sometimes do odd things to the systems). But I pulled that KVM-switch
out of the equation today. The monitor plugs right into the PC now,
and I'm STILL getting these horizontal dark streaks.

Any ideas? Did I irreparably hose my graphics card, perhaps? Can I
reset it?

Thanks, all!

--Jim Keyes

neopolaris
July 7th 03, 07:03 PM
It sounds like you may need to contact customer support of the manufacturer.
Tell them just what you posted here. There isn't a way to reset the memory
on a video card. Hopefully they will treat you right.

neopolaris
"Jim Keyes" > wrote in message
om...
> > Sounds like bad mem chips on the board possibly.
>
> Thanks, neopolaris. You're talking memory on the graphics card, right?
> Is there a way to...I don't know...reset them somehow? Or do I just
> replace the whole card?
>
> --Jim Keyes
>

> "neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
> > "Jim Keyes" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > And by "horizontal streaking", I don't mean that I'm running down the
> > > street buck-naked. Ha. (Sorry my frustration with this problem is
> > > making me loopy.)
> > >
> > > That's streaking as in dark parts of any image seem to "smear" to the
> > > left and right, all the way across the screen.
> > >
> > > The monitor (a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200) works fine when plugged
> > > into a different computer. But when it's plugged into this one, it's
> > > screwy.
> > >
> > > I *used* to use a keyboard-video-monitor switch (one that would
> > > sometimes do odd things to the systems). But I pulled that KVM-switch
> > > out of the equation today. The monitor plugs right into the PC now,
> > > and I'm STILL getting these horizontal dark streaks.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? Did I irreparably hose my graphics card, perhaps? Can I
> > > reset it?
> > >
> > > Thanks, all!
> > >
> > > --Jim Keyes
> >
> > Sounds like bad mem chips on the board possibly.

Beowulf
July 9th 03, 06:33 AM
Sorry dude, your card is fried. I had a Geforce DDR with the same
problem. One day the GPU fan literally fell off the heat sink and I
didn't notice until later when the streaks appeared. The card was
overclocked (about 10% only) the night before for gaming and I forgort
to reset it. My wife fired it up, left the house, it was a hot day and
the AC was off. I had another case fan but had not yet installed it.
Turns out he memory was not any hotter to the touch than normal, but
the GPU was scorching!

If your card is under warranty, send it back; otherwise buy a new card.
No user serviceable parts inside (the chip)