PDA

View Full Version : AGP question agp pro or agp 8x


jhgd
July 5th 03, 03:03 PM
does a agp pro are compatible with agp 8x card
or should i get a mobo with a real agp 8x?

KSlater
July 5th 03, 04:27 PM
Get something with real AGP 8X support.
"jhgd" > wrote in message
...
> does a agp pro are compatible with agp 8x card
> or should i get a mobo with a real agp 8x?

Blaedmon
July 5th 03, 04:54 PM
as far as relevence - AGP2x will do for years to come. But if youre
insistant on wanting 8x then agp8x (not pro) would be a better choice.
Again, anything above 2x/4x is useless, its merely there to wow people who
dont know what the hell theyre wow'ing about.

"jhgd" > wrote in message
...
> does a agp pro are compatible with agp 8x card
> or should i get a mobo with a real agp 8x?

Egil Solberg
July 5th 03, 07:12 PM
"jhgd" > wrote in message
...
> does a agp pro are compatible with agp 8x card
> or should i get a mobo with a real agp 8x?

AGP Pro cards are mainly professional videocards that need more power. They
get that extra power from the AGP Pro slotīs extra connectors.
Speed has nothing to do with this.
If your mobo has a slot designed for AGP8X cards, but is in addtion the
extra connector needed for AGP Pro it is obviously better that a slot that
is AGP8X, but not AGP Pro.
This will mean that with the first one, you can use AGP Pro cards (I havenīt
seen one yet, and I doubt you will as well), on the other board, not.
Performancewise the videocard, AGP8X and non-Pro, will function the same in
the two boards.

Egil Solberg
July 5th 03, 11:07 PM
"Blaedmon" > wrote in message
...
> as far as relevence - AGP2x will do for years to come. But if youre
> insistant on wanting 8x then agp8x (not pro) would be a better choice.
> Again, anything above 2x/4x is useless, its merely there to wow people who
> dont know what the hell theyre wow'ing about.

Very true. Someone that praises AGP8X over letīs say AGP4X does not have a
clue on whatīs going on. Now weīre moving to PCI express, so much for that
AGPXX hype.
Guess weīll start seeing PCI Express-hype now :(

Jef
July 5th 03, 11:26 PM
> AGP Pro cards are mainly professional videocards that need more power.
They
> get that extra power from the AGP Pro slotīs extra connectors.
> Speed has nothing to do with this.

I am curious what is then the difference between nonpro cards and pro cards.
The speed is the same, so why do they need extra power? Do they just turn it
into extra heat or do those pro cards have other advantages.
This may sound sarcastic but it is not, I am really curious for I don't know
what the difference is between the cards that are used for gaming and
professional cards.

Greetings,
René

Egil Solberg
July 5th 03, 11:36 PM
"Jef" > wrote in message
...
> > AGP Pro cards are mainly professional videocards that need more power.
> They
> > get that extra power from the AGP Pro slotīs extra connectors.
> > Speed has nothing to do with this.
>
> I am curious what is then the difference between nonpro cards and pro
cards.
> The speed is the same, so why do they need extra power? Do they just turn
it
> into extra heat or do those pro cards have other advantages.
> This may sound sarcastic but it is not, I am really curious for I don't
know
> what the difference is between the cards that are used for gaming and
> professional cards.

http://www.3dlabs.com/product/wildcatvp/vppro/index.htm

Thatīs an example of an AGP Pro card. Its power requirements are bigger than
usual AGP spec.
Note that current ATI cards also exceed the AGP spec, therefore they are
equipped with the extra floppy power connector. As not every mobo has AGP
Pro slot itīs necessary for ATI to do this.
I guess the solution with the extra floppy power connector can deliver even
more power, so maybe thatīs the reason AGP Pro isnīt used more than it
currently is.
I donīt know more than this.

Egil Solberg
July 5th 03, 11:39 PM
Good explanation here:

http://www.3dlabs.com/product/compatibility.htm