PDA

View Full Version : Re: help! my GF4 ti4200 128 keeps causing system instability

Blaedmon
July 5th 03, 02:08 AM
the gf4 range is a power ninja, it sucks up a bongload - so your default
300watt PSU may need replacing, thats just 1 thing.
As for your 'locked' bios, screw that - you should be able to get into it.
Perhaps its admin passworded?
And check your cpu heat - is it up to the 55-60c's? Thats too hot. Durons
will run hotter than pentium, so their fans need to be better.

"Frank Bradshaw" > wrote in message

> Hi there - I'm having a load of errors and problems on the computer
> since I installed this card - it is definately the card at fault because
as
> soon as I remove it and place the old one in, everything is fine. Okay,
here
> is a breakdown of my system:
>
> 1.2ghz Duron;
> Gigabyte 7IXEH motherboard
> 384 mb ram
> twin 8gb hdd
> 1 x 52 speed cd
> 4 x 8 x CDRW
> 56k modem
> Network card
> Extractor fan on one PCI slot mounted above fan of video card
> 4 x AGP slot
> Internal case fan
> 300watt PSU
> XP Home
>
> There was two major system crashes which XP recovered from which it
firstly
> reported was a problem with Sentinal.sys (Which I then upgraded from
Rainbow
> Technologies.) and next time, the Microsoft help site/error reporter said
it
> was graphics card driver problem. I have installed the latest drivers, but
> the problem seems to keep reoccuring.
>
> In the bios heat monitor section, I did find the processor at 59degrees C
at
> one point. I literally picked up the case fan and placed it near the
> graphics card and the CPU temp dropped within a minute by 12 degrees C. :)
>
> So heat is one problem and the other seems to be drivers.
>
> My problem is this is a home built PC. I can't flash the bios as it says
it
> is locked. I've updated the VIA drivers and the motherboard drivers to no
> avail.
>
> Should I just take everything out and buy a bare-bones pc with a better
CPU
> and newer motherboard and plug everything in? Is it just that everything
is
> just incompatible?
>
> cheers
>
> frank

\(\) \(\)
July 5th 03, 02:54 AM
My GF4 ti4200 runs fine on a 250 watt power supply

"Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> the gf4 range is a power ninja, it sucks up a bongload - so your default
> 300watt PSU may need replacing, thats just 1 thing.
> As for your 'locked' bios, screw that - you should be able to get into it.
> Perhaps its admin passworded?
> And check your cpu heat - is it up to the 55-60c's? Thats too hot. Durons
> will run hotter than pentium, so their fans need to be better.
>

> "Frank Bradshaw" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hi there - I'm having a load of errors and problems on the computer
> > since I installed this card - it is definately the card at fault because
> as
> > soon as I remove it and place the old one in, everything is fine. Okay,
> here
> > is a breakdown of my system:
> >
> > 1.2ghz Duron;
> > Gigabyte 7IXEH motherboard
> > 384 mb ram
> > twin 8gb hdd
> > 1 x 52 speed cd
> > 4 x 8 x CDRW
> > 56k modem
> > Network card
> > Extractor fan on one PCI slot mounted above fan of video card
> > 4 x AGP slot
> > Internal case fan
> > 300watt PSU
> > XP Home
> >
> > There was two major system crashes which XP recovered from which it
> firstly
> > reported was a problem with Sentinal.sys (Which I then upgraded from
> Rainbow
> > Technologies.) and next time, the Microsoft help site/error reporter
said
> it
> > was graphics card driver problem. I have installed the latest drivers,
but
> > the problem seems to keep reoccuring.
> >
> > In the bios heat monitor section, I did find the processor at 59degrees
> at
> > one point. I literally picked up the case fan and placed it near the
> > graphics card and the CPU temp dropped within a minute by 12 degrees C.
:)

> > So heat is one problem and the other seems to be drivers.
> >
> > My problem is this is a home built PC. I can't flash the bios as it says
> it
> > is locked. I've updated the VIA drivers and the motherboard drivers to
no
> > avail.
> >
> > Should I just take everything out and buy a bare-bones pc with a better
> CPU
> > and newer motherboard and plug everything in? Is it just that everything
> is
> > just incompatible?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > frank

Lester Piglet
July 5th 03, 03:30 AM
"() ()" > wrote in message
> My GF4 ti4200 runs fine on a 250 watt power supply

But then again, what other hardware are you running?
The more hardware the power is consumed.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a

Strontium
July 5th 03, 05:50 AM
A good quality PSU will do fine, with the minimum recommended wattage for
the CPU. If anything, perhaps OP's PSU is just not very good
quality-wise.

-
() () stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> My GF4 ti4200 runs fine on a 250 watt power supply
>
> "Blaedmon" > wrote in message
>> the gf4 range is a power ninja, it sucks up a bongload - so your
>> default 300watt PSU may need replacing, thats just 1 thing.
>> As for your 'locked' bios, screw that - you should be able to get
>> into it. Perhaps its admin passworded?
>> And check your cpu heat - is it up to the 55-60c's? Thats too hot.
>> Durons will run hotter than pentium, so their fans need to be better.
>>

>> "Frank Bradshaw" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi there - I'm having a load of errors and problems on the
>>> computer since I installed this card - it is definately the card at
>>> fault because as soon as I remove it and place the old one in,
>>> everything is fine. Okay, here is a breakdown of my system:
>>>
>>> 1.2ghz Duron;
>>> Gigabyte 7IXEH motherboard
>>> 384 mb ram
>>> twin 8gb hdd
>>> 1 x 52 speed cd
>>> 4 x 8 x CDRW

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."