PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading an GeForice 4 MX440 to FX 5200?

Bobby
July 4th 03, 04:54 PM
Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I appreciate
that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to my
graphics performance?

Cheers.

Bobby

Dave
July 4th 03, 06:23 PM
The 5200 is good for about a 30% gain in frame rate over a GF4mx400. But
other things need to be considered. What CPU do you have?
Dave

"Bobby" > wrote in message
> Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I appreciate
> that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
my
> graphics performance?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Bobby
July 4th 03, 07:36 PM
Hi Dave, I have an Athlon 2000XP with 540Mb RAM and 60Gb (ATA 133) HD.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> The 5200 is good for about a 30% gain in frame rate over a GF4mx400. But
> other things need to be considered. What CPU do you have?
> Dave
>
> "Bobby" > wrote in message
> > Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I
appreciate
> > that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
> my
> > graphics performance?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Bobby

Bobby
July 4th 03, 07:38 PM

"Dave" > wrote in message
> The 5200 is good for about a 30% gain in frame rate over a GF4mx400. But
> other things need to be considered. What CPU do you have?
> Dave
>
> "Bobby" > wrote in message
> > Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I
appreciate
> > that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
> my
> > graphics performance?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Bobby

Jared Richardson
July 4th 03, 08:37 PM
I just made that upgrade... very well worth it ~if~ you play games (I play
UT)... also OpenGL screen savers, etc are much nicer and smoother. :) Not
the best reason in the world to upgrade though... depends on you.

"Bobby" > wrote in message
> Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I appreciate
> that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
my
> graphics performance?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Bobby
July 5th 03, 12:05 AM
I play games Jared - have you noticed much improvement in UT?

"Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
. com...
> I just made that upgrade... very well worth it ~if~ you play games (I play
> UT)... also OpenGL screen savers, etc are much nicer and smoother. :) Not
> the best reason in the world to upgrade though... depends on you.
>

> "Bobby" > wrote in message
> > Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I
appreciate
> > that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
> my
> > graphics performance?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Bobby

Martin Eriksson
July 5th 03, 11:24 AM
"Bobby" > wrote in message
> Is it worth replacing my MX440 (64Mb) with an FX5200 (128Mb)? I appreciate
> that this FX is bottom of the range. But would it make any difference to
my
> graphics performance?

I guess so, but most importantly you will get DX8 features making your games
nicer (DX9 is hardly supported by any games yet but you get that also).

/M

Dave
July 5th 03, 07:50 PM
2000+? Definately go for the upgrade. If you are a serious gamer then you
might want to spend a little more and get a GF4ti4200 or even a GFX5600
Ultra.
Dave