PDA

View Full Version : Re: Newbie, shopping for video card

Paul Greer
July 4th 03, 06:48 AM
In that price range I think the GeForce FX5200 or maybe 5200Ultra would be
the card for you. I'm not totally sure on the exact prices, being a pommie
and all, but a google search, or a visit to newegg should confirm my
suspicions, or possibly just make me look silly. Anyway, the non-ultra
should be no trouble.

"Robert Bindler" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a new video card, preferably nVidia, but I have no
> idea where to start. My current card (TNT2) is getting a little slow
> for even older games.
>
> The problem is, I'm not familiar with any newer products, and the
> names aren't helping any. GeForce3? GeForce4? FX? TI? 4000? 4900? Does
> anybody have a guide or FAQ I could read?
>
> I'm not hoping to run Doom III at insane fps, or anything like that.
> I'd just like a card that can play at least last year's games. I'm
> looking to spend around $60-$80, if possible (online of course). my
> mobo supports AGP up to 4x.
>
> Another thing - are there any cards with TV-out in this price range?
> If so, how good is the image quality on larger TV's? I'm interested in
> playing some DIVX movies on it.

Ron Merts
July 4th 03, 10:02 AM
Look for a 128Mb FX 5200 card. Should come in around $80-$100 and give you
DirectX 9 compatibility and performance to run last years' games and some of
this years' games at decent speeds. Make sure your power supply is at least
300W, preferably 350-400W and you should be fine. The 64Mb cards are
cheaper but use a lame 64-bit datapath which severaly hampers performance,
so stick with the 128Mb models. If you want something with considerably
more uumph for under $200, look at the FX 5200 Ultra models. They generally
perform around 40% faster then their non-ultra counterparts, have 128Mb of
RAM and will power even most of today's games at acceptable speeds - not top
speeds or anything approaching some of the insane framerates I see people
wanting, but definitely acceptable.

Ron

"Robert Bindler" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a new video card, preferably nVidia, but I have no
> idea where to start. My current card (TNT2) is getting a little slow
> for even older games.
>
> The problem is, I'm not familiar with any newer products, and the
> names aren't helping any. GeForce3? GeForce4? FX? TI? 4000? 4900? Does
> anybody have a guide or FAQ I could read?
>
> I'm not hoping to run Doom III at insane fps, or anything like that.
> I'd just like a card that can play at least last year's games. I'm
> looking to spend around $60-$80, if possible (online of course). my
> mobo supports AGP up to 4x.
>
> Another thing - are there any cards with TV-out in this price range?
> If so, how good is the image quality on larger TV's? I'm interested in
> playing some DIVX movies on it.

jhgd
July 4th 03, 06:42 PM
I have find this card the geforce fx 5200 magic tdh
it'a as a 256bits graphic core .
http://www.shentech.com/lewia3tdhgef.html

[...]
-
-Ron
-

Beowulf
July 4th 03, 07:28 PM
Also, check out www.tomshardware.com

Not everyone likes them, but they put out decent comparision charts for
vid cards on both high end CPUs and mainstream CPUs