PDA

View Full Version : Re: debating

NoRemorse
July 4th 03, 05:52 AM
"Thomas Jarboe" > wrote in message
> I currently have a Geforce 4 ti 4200 se 128mb card. I just bought a ATI
> Radeon 9800 pro 128mb and am wondering, is this a really good card? Or
> should I have gone with a Geforce FX series card?
> Thanks.
> Tom

And why are you wondering this? Are your games not playing on the new card?
Are you having driver problems? NVidia fan boys bothering you?

The 9800 pro and the FX 5900 are evenly matched. One can win some benchmarks
and the other can win other benchmarks. No significant difference.

--
[This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

Thomas Jarboe
July 6th 03, 07:01 PM
Why am I wondering this? Well, I wanted to know before I opened the box to
the ATI card. Well, I finally opened the box, installed the 9800 pro, and
gotta say I love it. Battlefield 1942 really runs a LOT smoother. And the
reason I picked this over Nvidia cards is PRICE. Nvidia Cards are WAY OVER
PRICED IMHO. Sure, Geforce line of cards are good. But When it comes down
to price, the ATI 9800 pro was well worth my money. I'm sure I would have
said the same thing if I shelled out another $100 for the Nvidia equivalant.
But now I am a Really Happy camper.
Something I just noticed on Tech TV. They said both cards are almost
identical when it comes to graphics rendering, but none of the games out
right now take full advantage of these cards. So, finally after many years
of comuting/gaming, I feel I'm kinda of ahead of the game this time. :)
Tom

"NoRemorse" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Thomas Jarboe" > wrote in message
> > I currently have a Geforce 4 ti 4200 se 128mb card. I just bought a ATI
> > Radeon 9800 pro 128mb and am wondering, is this a really good card? Or
> > should I have gone with a Geforce FX series card?
> > Thanks.
> > Tom
>
> And why are you wondering this? Are your games not playing on the new
card?
> Are you having driver problems? NVidia fan boys bothering you?
>
> The 9800 pro and the FX 5900 are evenly matched. One can win some
benchmarks
> and the other can win other benchmarks. No significant difference.
>
> --
> [This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

neopolaris
July 7th 03, 02:28 AM
By the time anything comes out to use those features, other cards will take
their place. I think you wasted your money considering what you were using.
A GF3 on a 2GHz+ machine is plenty. The rest is icing though like you
said.
"Thomas Jarboe" > wrote in message
> Why am I wondering this? Well, I wanted to know before I opened the box
> the ATI card. Well, I finally opened the box, installed the 9800 pro, and
> gotta say I love it. Battlefield 1942 really runs a LOT smoother. And
the
> reason I picked this over Nvidia cards is PRICE. Nvidia Cards are WAY
OVER
> PRICED IMHO. Sure, Geforce line of cards are good. But When it comes
down
> to price, the ATI 9800 pro was well worth my money. I'm sure I would have
> said the same thing if I shelled out another $100 for the Nvidia
equivalant.
> But now I am a Really Happy camper.
> Something I just noticed on Tech TV. They said both cards are almost
> identical when it comes to graphics rendering, but none of the games out
> right now take full advantage of these cards. So, finally after many
years
> of comuting/gaming, I feel I'm kinda of ahead of the game this time. :)
> Tom
>
> "NoRemorse" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Thomas Jarboe" > wrote in message
> > > I currently have a Geforce 4 ti 4200 se 128mb card. I just bought a
ATI
> > > Radeon 9800 pro 128mb and am wondering, is this a really good card? Or
> > > should I have gone with a Geforce FX series card?
> > > Thanks.
> > > Tom
> >
> > And why are you wondering this? Are your games not playing on the new
> card?
> > Are you having driver problems? NVidia fan boys bothering you?
> >
> > The 9800 pro and the FX 5900 are evenly matched. One can win some
> benchmarks
> > and the other can win other benchmarks. No significant difference.
> >
> > --
> > [This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

Strontium
July 7th 03, 02:38 AM
While this may be true, the card will last for a while. Just as the GF3
Ti did/will. And, in addition, he will be able to take advantage of any
games that use DX9, that are released this X-Mas. I'm not sure any newer
architecture cards will be out, that soon. If there are, they will be
just as high-priced as the 9800, FX5900 are, now, anyway. So, he could've
waited for the price drop. Or, he could have a sweet card now. His
money.

-
neopolaris stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> By the time anything comes out to use those features, other cards
> will take their place. I think you wasted your money considering
> what you were using. A GF3 on a 2GHz+ machine is plenty. The rest
> is icing though like you said.
> "Thomas Jarboe" > wrote in message
>> Why am I wondering this? Well, I wanted to know before I opened the
>> box to the ATI card. Well, I finally opened the box, installed the
>> 9800 pro, and gotta say I love it. Battlefield 1942 really runs a
>> LOT smoother. And the reason I picked this over Nvidia cards is
>> PRICE. Nvidia Cards are WAY OVER PRICED IMHO. Sure, Geforce line
>> of cards are good. But When it comes down to price, the ATI 9800
>> pro was well worth my money. I'm sure I would have said the same
>> thing if I shelled out another $100 for the Nvidia equivalant. But
>> now I am a Really Happy camper.
>> Something I just noticed on Tech TV. They said both cards are almost
>> identical when it comes to graphics rendering, but none of the games
>> out right now take full advantage of these cards. So, finally after
>> many years of comuting/gaming, I feel I'm kinda of ahead of the game
>> this time. :) Tom
>>
>> "NoRemorse" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> And why are you wondering this? Are your games not playing on the
>>> new card? Are you having driver problems? NVidia fan boys bothering
>>> you?
>>>
>>> The 9800 pro and the FX 5900 are evenly matched. One can win some
>>> benchmarks and the other can win other benchmarks. No significant
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> --
>>> [This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."