PDA

View Full Version : Re: De-scramble Cable with A PC

Peter Gottlieb
July 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for all you
know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace. But not, I
imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to use a high level
language for such a function.

"Dale Green" > wrote in message

> Go buy yourself Visual C++ and show us how it's done.
>
> Anyway, North America is moving towards encrypted MPEG digital cable.
Have
> fun doing that in real time in software.

J.Clarke
July 3rd 03, 07:15 PM
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:39:23 -0400
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote:

> Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for
> all you know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace.
> But not, I imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to
> use a high level language for such a function.

Earth to Peter--the days of hand-tuned assembly code are long past. C
and its derivatives are used for just about everything these days
including digital signal processing.

OTOH, decryption by brute force isn't going to work in realtime with any
language.

> "Dale Green" > wrote in message
>
> > Go buy yourself Visual C++ and show us how it's done.
> >
> > Anyway, North America is moving towards encrypted MPEG digital
> > cable.
> Have
> > fun doing that in real time in software.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Peter Gottlieb
July 4th 03, 04:47 AM
"J.Clarke" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:39:23 -0400
> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote:
>
> > Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for
> > all you know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace.
> > But not, I imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to
> > use a high level language for such a function.
>
> Earth to Peter--the days of hand-tuned assembly code are long past. C
> and its derivatives are used for just about everything these days
> including digital signal processing.

Don't go crying that something can't be done when you won't write critical
real time parts of the code in assembler and rely instead on high level
languages that effectively slow your processor by an order of magnitude.

Or maybe programmers have grown lazy and can't be troubled to understand the
hardware enough to talk directly to it with custom device handlers?

I'm not saying everyone can do this, but for those who can, the raw power of
these microwave frequency processors is astounding. Whether you can do it
in a closed source OS like Windows is another matter.