PDA

View Full Version : Re: OK Time for a better Vid Card

Dave
July 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
A 1.8 ghz P4 should be fine. Maybe he has one of the cheapy 64 bit memory
bus cards. Maybe drivers aren't loaded properly. What OS and what video
driver are you using, Dennis?
Dave

Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Your CPU/memory is your bottleneck. That card should rock.
>
> -
> Dennis stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Sytem:
> > P4 1.8
> > 768 mgbr
> > GFX5200
> >
> > Ive started playing StarWars Galaxies, (great game) and my frame
> > rates are around 12 FPS. It drops to around 8 in busier areas. In
> > short they suck! I dont even have the graphics cranked 1/2 way.
> > Even while playing WWIIOL I noticed my FPS did not improve much over
> > my previous GEF400MX. So I am budgeting to spend a little more
> > money, OK the Wife says I can spend $200.00 or under. So what would
> > you guys recommend is out there to fit in that budget and be the
> > optimal card for games. I really will need something to take my
> > another year or so down the road, performance wise. (Please no ATI
> > references I simply will not use them). so a GeF4200? or GeF5600....
> >

> > Dennis
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
> there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Strontium
July 3rd 03, 06:31 PM
I see your KillFile threat, was idle...what a loser.... Where is your killfile,
asswipe? With a name like 'Les', I'd think it was with your butt-toys :)

-

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Les
July 3rd 03, 07:18 PM
"Harrie" > wrote in message
e...

:
: I think that people disagreeing about something is what makes usenet
: interesting. But I do not think that there was a need to be impolite
here
: (or anywhere).
:
: Sincerely,
: René
:
Thanks for the input René. I'll take it under advisement

Strontium
July 3rd 03, 07:30 PM
This idiot is a troll.... and a nym-shifter...blehhhh

-
Les stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> "Harrie" > wrote in message
> e...
>

>> I think that people disagreeing about something is what makes usenet
>> interesting. But I do not think that there was a need to be impolite
>> here (or anywhere).
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> René
>>
> Thanks for the input René. I'll take it under advisement

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Flow
July 3rd 03, 08:48 PM
Don't buy the fx5600 it's not so fast as you would think.
If you have money to burn go for the fx5900 ultra or take the cheaper
ti4200.

"Dennis" > schreef in bericht
> Sytem:
> P4 1.8
> 768 mgbr
> GFX5200
>
> Ive started playing StarWars Galaxies, (great game) and my frame rates
are
> around 12 FPS. It drops to around 8 in busier areas. In short they suck!
> dont even have the graphics cranked 1/2 way. Even while playing WWIIOL I
> noticed my FPS did not improve much over my previous GEF400MX. So I am
> budgeting to spend a little more money, OK the Wife says I can spend
$200.00
> or under. So what would you guys recommend is out there to fit in that
> budget and be the optimal card for games. I really will need something to
> take my another year or so down the road, performance wise. (Please no
ATI
> references I simply will not use them). so a GeF4200? or GeF5600....
>

> Dennis

Dave
July 4th 03, 12:45 AM
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc5
I'd say it's fast enuff. It looks like ti4600 speed to me.
Dave

"Flow" > wrote in message
news:wM%[email protected]
> Don't buy the fx5600 it's not so fast as you would think.
> If you have money to burn go for the fx5900 ultra or take the cheaper
> ti4200.
>
> "Dennis" > schreef in bericht
> > Sytem:
> > P4 1.8
> > 768 mgbr
> > GFX5200
> >
> > Ive started playing StarWars Galaxies, (great game) and my frame rates
> are
> > around 12 FPS. It drops to around 8 in busier areas. In short they
suck!
> > dont even have the graphics cranked 1/2 way. Even while playing WWIIOL
> > noticed my FPS did not improve much over my previous GEF400MX. So I am
> > budgeting to spend a little more money, OK the Wife says I can spend
> $200.00
> > or under. So what would you guys recommend is out there to fit in that
> > budget and be the optimal card for games. I really will need something
> > take my another year or so down the road, performance wise. (Please no
> ATI
> > references I simply will not use them). so a GeF4200? or GeF5600....
> >

> > Dennis

Lyle
July 4th 03, 01:17 AM
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:48:01 +0200, "Flow" > wrote:

>Don't buy the fx5600 it's not so fast as you would think.
>If you have money to burn go for the fx5900 ultra or take the cheaper
>ti4200.
>
>"Dennis" > schreef in bericht
>> Sytem:
>> P4 1.8
>> 768 mgbr
>> GFX5200
>>
>> Ive started playing StarWars Galaxies, (great game) and my frame rates
>are
>> around 12 FPS. It drops to around 8 in busier areas. In short they suck!
>> dont even have the graphics cranked 1/2 way. Even while playing WWIIOL I
>> noticed my FPS did not improve much over my previous GEF400MX. So I am
>> budgeting to spend a little more money, OK the Wife says I can spend
>$200.00
>> or under. So what would you guys recommend is out there to fit in that
>> budget and be the optimal card for games. I really will need something to
>> take my another year or so down the road, performance wise. (Please no
>ATI
>> references I simply will not use them). so a GeF4200? or GeF5600....
>>

>> Dennis

i have a athalon 1600xp(1.4 ghz)
1gb ram
geforce fx 5900 non ultra

and star wars galaxies rocks on my system, and i have all the options
cranked to max.

Ron Merts
July 4th 03, 09:32 AM
I would bet the CPU/Memory is as much of a problem as the video card. The
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra is around $189-$199 but you are going to need
something with more CPU power to really pick up any performance gain. Is
your P4 the 1.8 (256K Cache, 400Mhz FSB) or the 1.8A (512K Cache, 400Mhz
FSB)? If you can get up to the 2.4Ghz range you will see a big improvement,
especially if you can use the 533Mhz FSB model. Also, is your system memory
PC-133 (SDR) or PC-2100 (DDR)? The original 845 chipsets with PC-133 memory
were horribly crippled with anything that used a lot of RAM.

Ron