PDA

View Full Version : TV-Out with TNT: problems

Martin Eriksson
July 3rd 03, 12:10 AM
I think I need some help from a TV-Out expert. I'm trying to build a
cheap-ass DVD viewing system from a P2 400 with Windows XP and a Riva TNT.

The TNT has VGA, S-Video and Composite output.

The problem is that I get a nice picture until XP initializes the display
driver, then I just get interference OR sometimes I get something that looks
like parts of the picture, but just in b/w and very garbled (stretched and
overlayed on itself several times).

I'm remote-controlling the system through WinVNC so I can do stuff even if I
don't see anything on the TV.

It's not the Composite / S-VHS problem (where picture gets b/w but is
otherwise OK). It's not the cables (tried several). It's not the drivers
(tried 12.40 and 41.09 and 44. something). I've tried every setting in
nVidia drivers and TV tool but couldn't get a picture, just the garbled
"shadow" of a picture.

I'm starting to believe that for some reason the TNT card outputs in 60 Hz
although my TV only supports 50 Hz (PAL-B i think).

Any suggestions? Buying new stuff is not an option.

/M

timeOday
July 3rd 03, 05:38 AM
Martin Eriksson wrote:

> I think I need some help from a TV-Out expert. I'm trying to build a
> cheap-ass DVD viewing system from a P2 400 with Windows XP and a Riva TNT.
>
> The TNT has VGA, S-Video and Composite output.
>
> The problem is that I get a nice picture until XP initializes the display
> driver, then I just get interference OR sometimes I get something that
> looks like parts of the picture, but just in b/w and very garbled
> (stretched and overlayed on itself several times).
>
> I'm remote-controlling the system through WinVNC so I can do stuff even if
> I don't see anything on the TV.
>
> It's not the Composite / S-VHS problem (where picture gets b/w but is
> otherwise OK). It's not the cables (tried several). It's not the drivers
> (tried 12.40 and 41.09 and 44. something). I've tried every setting in
> nVidia drivers and TV tool but couldn't get a picture, just the garbled
> "shadow" of a picture.
>
> I'm starting to believe that for some reason the TNT card outputs in 60 Hz
> although my TV only supports 50 Hz (PAL-B i think).
>
> Any suggestions? Buying new stuff is not an option.
>
> /M

Is your windows desktop resolution 640x480? And you're sure the TV-out is
PAL not NTSC?

Martin Eriksson
July 3rd 03, 07:53 AM
"timeOday" > wrote in message
> Martin Eriksson wrote:
>
> > I think I need some help from a TV-Out expert. I'm trying to build a
> > cheap-ass DVD viewing system from a P2 400 with Windows XP and a Riva
TNT.

> > The TNT has VGA, S-Video and Composite output.
> >
> > The problem is that I get a nice picture until XP initializes the
display
> > driver, then I just get interference OR sometimes I get something that
> > looks like parts of the picture, but just in b/w and very garbled
> > (stretched and overlayed on itself several times).
> >
> > I'm remote-controlling the system through WinVNC so I can do stuff even
if
> > I don't see anything on the TV.
> >
> > It's not the Composite / S-VHS problem (where picture gets b/w but is
> > otherwise OK). It's not the cables (tried several). It's not the drivers
> > (tried 12.40 and 41.09 and 44. something). I've tried every setting in
> > nVidia drivers and TV tool but couldn't get a picture, just the garbled
> > "shadow" of a picture.
> >
> > I'm starting to believe that for some reason the TNT card outputs in 60
Hz
> > although my TV only supports 50 Hz (PAL-B i think).
> >
> > Any suggestions? Buying new stuff is not an option.
> >
> > /M
>
> Is your windows desktop resolution 640x480? And you're sure the TV-out is
> PAL not NTSC?

I've tried 640x480 and 800x600 and PAL and NTSC and PAL60 etc etc.

/M

Paul Greer
July 4th 03, 12:27 AM
I tried getting TV out working on a GF4MX and had to select 1024x768 to get
it working properly. Also if you have a system that old, I would expect you
have an OS to go with it. It might be an idea to try Win9x rather than an NT
based system.