PDA

View Full Version : Good Entry Level Video Card ($50-$75)

Harry Muscle
July 2nd 03, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a good entry level (ie:
cheap) video card? I don't want to spend more than 50-75 dollars on the
video card. My only requirement is that it can support DVI and TV
connections (as well as a normal VGA connection).

I was looking at the FX5200 (not Ultra) ... about $75 on ebay. I like the
fact that it supports DX9 in hardware (so I'm not getting something
outdated, etc.), however, from the reviews it's not exactly the best
performer. Then again, what can one expect from such a cheaply priced card.
I was wondering though, if I should maybe go with a DX8 card but with better
performance, if something like that exists in my price range? Any feedback
is highly appreciated.

Harry

P.S. I'm more of an office user than a gamer, so the most I can justify
spending on a graphics card is $75 bucks.

Larry Roberts
July 2nd 03, 09:42 PM
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:10:18 -0400, "Harry Muscle" >
wrote:

>I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a good entry level (ie:
>cheap) video card? I don't want to spend more than 50-75 dollars on the
>video card. My only requirement is that it can support DVI and TV
>connections (as well as a normal VGA connection).
>
>I was looking at the FX5200 (not Ultra) ... about $75 on ebay. I like the
>fact that it supports DX9 in hardware (so I'm not getting something
>outdated, etc.), however, from the reviews it's not exactly the best
>performer. Then again, what can one expect from such a cheaply priced card.
>I was wondering though, if I should maybe go with a DX8 card but with better
>performance, if something like that exists in my price range? Any feedback
>is highly appreciated.
>
>Harry
>
>P.S. I'm more of an office user than a gamer, so the most I can justify
>spending on a graphics card is $75 bucks.

If that's your budget, then the GF FX5200 would be the card.
The GF3, or ATI 8500 cards are either on par, or better (depending on
what GF FX5200, GF3, and ATI 8500 you compare), than the FX5200, but
they are DX8 cards, and the ones with DVI, and TV connectors seemed to
be priced higher than the FX5200 with the same connectors.
Why get a card from Ebay? At www.pricewatch.com, there is the
Prolink Pixelview FX5200 starting at $72.00 shipped. It is clocked at
275Mhz core, and 500Mhz memory out of the box, and has DVI, and TV
connectors. There other brands priced as low as $62.00 shipped, but
you have to be careful your not getting a 64bit memory bus instead of
the 128bit memory bus card, and that it has all the connectors you
need. Make sure you know what your getting when buying an FX5200.

KSlater
July 3rd 03, 01:34 AM
I'd go with the FX5200 hands down.

Dave
July 3rd 03, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I like the Prolink 5200. GF3 speed (GF4 ti4200 speed when AA is
turned on) and DX9.
Dave

"KSlater" > wrote in message
a...
> I'd go with the FX5200 hands down.

jhgd
July 3rd 03, 01:52 AM
-
- If that's your budget, then the GF FX5200 would be the card.
-The GF3, or ATI 8500 cards are either on par, or better (depending on
-what GF FX5200, GF3, and ATI 8500 you compare), than the FX5200, but
-they are DX8 cards, and the ones with DVI, and TV connectors seemed to
-be priced higher than the FX5200 with the same connectors.
- Why get a card from Ebay? At www.pricewatch.com, there is the
-Prolink Pixelview FX5200 starting at $72.00 shipped. It is clocked at
-275Mhz core, and 500Mhz memory out of the box, and has DVI, and TV
-connectors. There other brands priced as low as $62.00 shipped, but
-you have to be careful your not getting a 64bit memory bus instead of
-the 128bit memory bus card, and that it has all the connectors you
-need. Make sure you know what your getting when buying an FX5200.

How can i know if my fx5200 is a 128 bit mem or a 64 bits mem.
on my box and in the user guide there is no information on that point.
it a gffx5200 magic ( non ultra) 128megs 333mghz

AnybodyŽ
July 3rd 03, 04:56 AM
My Rant.........
I picked up the Asus V9520/TD (FX5200) and I love it so far, granted I was
using a Geforce2 mx400 before, but I did try a ati9100 and personally find
this card far more desirable. The 5200 plays all my games-Unreal 2, UT2003,
Quake 3, NWN, Americas Army, etc perfectly.

"Harry Muscle" > wrote in message
> I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a good entry level (ie:
> cheap) video card? I don't want to spend more than 50-75 dollars on the
> video card. My only requirement is that it can support DVI and TV
> connections (as well as a normal VGA connection).
>
> I was looking at the FX5200 (not Ultra) ... about $75 on ebay. I like the
> fact that it supports DX9 in hardware (so I'm not getting something
> outdated, etc.), however, from the reviews it's not exactly the best
> performer. Then again, what can one expect from such a cheaply priced
card.
> I was wondering though, if I should maybe go with a DX8 card but with
better
> performance, if something like that exists in my price range? Any
feedback
> is highly appreciated.
>
> Harry
>
> P.S. I'm more of an office user than a gamer, so the most I can justify
> spending on a graphics card is $75 bucks.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

wired and confused
July 3rd 03, 09:03 AM
This is great card for the price . I say get this card there is nothing much
in this price bracket that is better all others are low par cards .With
128mb this will help in video memory bandwith . It has 128bit bus like all
Geforce 4 cards with dx 9 support I would gather this card a good card . And
with GREAT quality of drivers with nvidia leaves plenty of room for tweaking
.. I also suggest checking for bios upgrades for the 5200 to get best
performance with geforce cards I did this to a TI4600 ANd man it was
astonishing afterward. This can add frames and can sometimes optimize cards
performance.
"AnybodyŽ" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> My Rant.........
> I picked up the Asus V9520/TD (FX5200) and I love it so far, granted I was
> using a Geforce2 mx400 before, but I did try a ati9100 and personally find
> this card far more desirable. The 5200 plays all my games-Unreal 2,
UT2003,
> Quake 3, NWN, Americas Army, etc perfectly.
>

> "Harry Muscle" > wrote in message
> > I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a good entry level
(ie:
> > cheap) video card? I don't want to spend more than 50-75 dollars on the
> > video card. My only requirement is that it can support DVI and TV
> > connections (as well as a normal VGA connection).
> >
> > I was looking at the FX5200 (not Ultra) ... about $75 on ebay. I like
the
> > fact that it supports DX9 in hardware (so I'm not getting something
> > outdated, etc.), however, from the reviews it's not exactly the best
> > performer. Then again, what can one expect from such a cheaply priced
> card.
> > I was wondering though, if I should maybe go with a DX8 card but with
> better
> > performance, if something like that exists in my price range? Any
> feedback
> > is highly appreciated.
> >
> > Harry
> >
> > P.S. I'm more of an office user than a gamer, so the most I can justify
> > spending on a graphics card is $75 bucks.

> > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Strontium
July 3rd 03, 09:47 AM
-
wired and confused stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> This is great card for the price . I say get this card there is
> nothing much in this price bracket that is better all others are low
> par cards .With 128mb this will help in video memory bandwith . It
> has 128bit bus like all Geforce 4 cards with dx 9 support

I wasn't aware that 'any' GF4 cards were supporting DX9, hardware-wise...
Maybe I'm on crack, too.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there at all.. And, I want to get free..."

John Smith
July 3rd 03, 12:46 PM
How do you know if its 64bit or 128 bit memory bus.Is it
down to it having 64mb or 128mb memory?
Ta
Smiffy

Dave
July 3rd 03, 05:40 PM
No, I have seen at least one 128mb card that has 64 bit bus.
Dave

"John Smith" > wrote in message
> How do you know if its 64bit or 128 bit memory bus.Is it
> down to it having 64mb or 128mb memory?
> Ta
> Smiffy

Ron Merts
July 4th 03, 09:15 AM
I agree with Larry, the FX5200 is a great card for what you are looking at.
Make sure it has 128Mb of RAM and you will be good to go. I would recommend
that if it only has a passive heatsink that you replace it with a heatsink
and fan if you get into the graphics much. It's not a great performer
compared to a FX5600, 5800 or 5900; but it is a respectible entry-level DX9
video card.

Ron