PDA

View Full Version : ASUS PCI-V3800

lndk
July 2nd 03, 01:07 PM
Hi

I'm able to run ASUS PCI-V3800 16MB with version 12.xx of the ASUS driver
(On Win98SE). If I try to upgrade to a newer version of the driver (31.40H
or 44.03) my screen is black and the PC freeses during windows boot.

Does anybody successfully run a simmilar configuration (PCI 16MB and a new
ASUS driver on a Win98SE machine) or knows if there is any
incompatibillities in my setup.

Thanks in advance
Leif

Strontium
July 2nd 03, 02:44 PM
May I ask your reason for wanting the later drivers?

-

--
Strontium

"Please don't take my heart. It's all I have left. Even though it's
broken."

lndk
July 2nd 03, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Cause I hope to increase performance, and some games require updated OpenGL
drivers - and because I always do :-)
And before i start a long debugging session in my eager to get the newest of
the newest I just wanted to know if it's possible or not.

There are no other pleasures for guys with old hardware than to update it.

Leif

"Strontium" > skrev i en meddelelse
> May I ask your reason for wanting the later drivers?
>
> -
> lndk stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm able to run ASUS PCI-V3800 16MB with version 12.xx of the ASUS
> > driver (On Win98SE). If I try to upgrade to a newer version of the
> > driver (31.40H or 44.03) my screen is black and the PC freeses during
> > windows boot.
> >
> > Does anybody successfully run a simmilar configuration (PCI 16MB and
> > a new ASUS driver on a Win98SE machine) or knows if there is any
> > incompatibillities in my setup.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Leif
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Please don't take my heart. It's all I have left. Even though it's
> broken."

lndk
July 4th 03, 09:13 AM
God dam it!

The 44.03 NVIDIA driver works! That's really "great"... especially when I'm
running solely on ASUS hardware (MOBO & VGA).
It is amazing that NVIDIA gets it right while ASUS screws up the customized
driver FOR THEIR OWN PRODUCTS - is this normal??

I have been quite fond of ASUS because of there quality and their way of
distributing ONE driver for almost all ASUS VGA cards, but I must say it is
disappointing, that they claim compatibility with old TNT2 cards if this is
not the case in real life.

Any comments - please
Leif

"Strontium" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Understood, and understood. I have no personal experience, with that
card.
> But, I will offer my take. I've found that the newer drivers 'are'
> backwards compatible. However, it seems (at least, to me), only to a
> certain degree. You've got and OLD card. I can't say that I'm surprised
> that the newer drivers are hosing your system. Also, are these the 'Asus'
> versions? Or, the nVidia detonators? If the former, you might try the
> detonators (nVidia's version).
>
> -
> lndk stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Cause I hope to increase performance, and some games require updated
> > OpenGL drivers - and because I always do :-)
> > And before i start a long debugging session in my eager to get the
> > newest of the newest I just wanted to know if it's possible or not.
> >
> > There are no other pleasures for guys with old hardware than to
> > update it.
> >
> > Leif
> >
> > "Strontium" > skrev i en meddelelse
> >> May I ask your reason for wanting the later drivers?
> >>
> >> -

> >> --
> >> Strontium

zEnterHacker
July 4th 03, 05:35 PM
Next problem:

The V3800 no longer powers off my monitor in suspend mode. It blanks the
screen, but it does not feature a complete power off of the monitor, so I
guess either V or H sync are not put in the right state. DAM it!

Any updated clues ( I know this has been an issue for the Detonator drivers
for a long time)

Regs