PDA

View Full Version : Freezing in windows with new card

Daniel Rigby
July 1st 03, 11:50 PM
Just installed (or tried to), a PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB card
into my system
(Athlon 1100, 128 MB Ram, MS6340 Motherboard, SB Live 5.1, Win ME),
and i'm getting odd crashes.

It freezes every time I try and access the nVidia tab on the
Display/Settings/Advanced tab of Control Panel, sometimes within
Internet Explorer, and sometimes just on the desktop.

I've tried all drivers I can find, but still nothing changes, and am
running DirectX 9.0.

Can anyone help, I'm going nuts!!

TIA,

Dan

PRIVATE1964
July 2nd 03, 12:49 AM
I had the same problem when I was running win98 at least I think its the same
problem. The only way I could solve it before I got WinXP was to disable
something from Nvidia under the startup tab in MSconfig. I can't check now
because I'm on XP. If your familiar with MSconfig you shut off everything for
Nvidia to see if that fixes the problem. The only thing they are needed for are
the special features of the video card or the overclocking tab. By special
features I mean dual display, or digital vibrance controls ETC.

Ron Merts
July 2nd 03, 08:14 AM
Try and make sure that nothing else is sharing IRQs with the video card. If
you're not using COM1 or COM2 you can disable them and get 2 free ones then
look in (i believe) PNP/PCI of the BIOS and reset the configuration NVRAM
(usually it's an Enable/Disable setting that resets to Disabled once it has
cleared itself once) then reinstall the GeForce card. Also you are probably
going to want at LEAST at 300W power supply, 400W or more is preferred.

Ron

"Daniel Rigby" > wrote in message
om...
> Just installed (or tried to), a PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB card
> into my system
> (Athlon 1100, 128 MB Ram, MS6340 Motherboard, SB Live 5.1, Win ME),
> and i'm getting odd crashes.
>
> It freezes every time I try and access the nVidia tab on the
> Display/Settings/Advanced tab of Control Panel, sometimes within
> Internet Explorer, and sometimes just on the desktop.
>
> I've tried all drivers I can find, but still nothing changes, and am
> running DirectX 9.0.
>
> Can anyone help, I'm going nuts!!
>
> TIA,
>
> Dan

Keith Clark
July 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
I think the clue here is that he's running Microsoft Windows Millennium
Edition.

It's almost universally regarded as the worst/buggiest OS that Microsoft
ever came out with.

I'd recommend backing up the hard drive and replacing the OS with Win2K or
XP.

--Keith

Ken Wright wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2003 15:50:37 -0700, (Daniel
> Rigby) wrote:
>
> >Just installed (or tried to), a PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB card
> >into my system
> >(Athlon 1100, 128 MB Ram, MS6340 Motherboard, SB Live 5.1, Win ME),
> >and i'm getting odd crashes.
> >
> >It freezes every time I try and access the nVidia tab on the
> >Display/Settings/Advanced tab of Control Panel, sometimes within
> >Internet Explorer, and sometimes just on the desktop.
> >
> >I've tried all drivers I can find, but still nothing changes, and am
> >running DirectX 9.0.
> >
> >Can anyone help, I'm going nuts!!
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Dan
>
> 1.) Device (IRQ) conflicts?
> 2.) Power supply not adequate?
> 3.) Graphics card not seated in slot properly?
>
> # 1) Remove all cards except the VGA and try to run the system.
> (If you have onboard network and/or audio, disable in BIOS) If
> this is stable, try adding the cards back in one at a time to
> determine which is the problem device.
>
> # 2) If you have another P.S. try a swap. If not, you may want to
> purchase a newer model. (The GeForce 4 series are serious power
> hogs)
>
> # 3) Take out the GeForce and reseat it in the AGP slot, check
> clearances to make sure it's not hanging up on something. (Some
> systems have physical conflicts with memory modules or capacitors
> on the M.B.
>
> __ __
>
> Web links page - http://home.att.net/~wright.ken/
>
> All yahoo.com and hotmail.com mail is directed
> to /dev/null
> Under consideration for blocking,
> netscape.com - email.com

Doug Whitesell
July 2nd 03, 10:09 PM
I had a (worse) problem with a PNY Technologies card, and it was a combination of power and
motherboard standards. I used to use a (never buy ever again) Compaq Presario similar to the one you
describe. It was an ASUS VIA chipset, 1.0ghz Thunderbird Athlon, 768MB with onboard audio. The
problem was twofold: the AGP standards were different (whatever the old stanard was, it didn't like
the new card) and the power supply--which the box of the card said would've been sufficient, was
not. I wound up blowing my AGP controller, PSU, and motherboard.

Best bets? I'd say it's a hardware power or resource problem. Open up device manager and make sure
that there aren't any little icons (like a ! or a ? by the card's name under Display Adapters).

Good luck.

---
Doug Whitesell
Exiled Lab Technician
"As computers get faster, the operating system overhead must increase in proportion."
zigspalffy33 [at] verizon [dot] net
"Daniel Rigby" > wrote in message
om...
> Just installed (or tried to), a PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB card
> into my system
> (Athlon 1100, 128 MB Ram, MS6340 Motherboard, SB Live 5.1, Win ME),
> and i'm getting odd crashes.
>
> It freezes every time I try and access the nVidia tab on the
> Display/Settings/Advanced tab of Control Panel, sometimes within
> Internet Explorer, and sometimes just on the desktop.
>
> I've tried all drivers I can find, but still nothing changes, and am
> running DirectX 9.0.
>
> Can anyone help, I'm going nuts!!
>
> TIA,
>
> Dan

Daniel Rigby
July 3rd 03, 12:31 PM
I'll try some of these suggestions tonight, thanks.

What confuses me is that the pc ONLY crashes in windows, as far as i
can tell.

- Nearly always at Nvidia tab of display/settings/advanced,

- sometimes in IE

- sometimes when showing control panel

but if i get as far as being able to run Unreal Tournament or
Medieval: Total War - no crashes in these programs!?