PDA

View Full Version : Not a test, do not ignore, FX5200...


Mike Wyman
July 1st 03, 02:05 AM
Hi there, sure hoping someone can offer some advice. Been doing some
upgrading and now am running a Soyo Dragon Lite with a Pentium
4-2.4gig. When I upgraded the video from a GF2 32Meg to an FX5200 with
128Meg and went from 98 to Xp, I started having problems with the
drivers (according to XP}. With the GF2 and XP, all the drivers I
found were not "signed". My box would spontaneously reboot during
games, sometimes in applications as well. Also, the Monitor makes a
clicking noise and blacks out for a moment; like the resolution has
just been changed. I decided to go with the FX5200 because it was
cheap and Nvidias latest drivers are signed for the FX series of
cards. Well, upon installing the new card and the newest Detonator
drivers, I found that XP no longer complained that the drivers were
unsigned but still have all of the same old problems, as described
above. I'm thinking that maybe its a simple switch in the BIOS that
might be the culprit but am reluctant to start experimenting because
of the extensive individual changes that are available and no
descriptions of what most of them do. Hope someone might help.

Mangyrat
July 1st 03, 06:26 AM
try lowering the agp to 2x for a few days to see if it still crashes
"Mike Wyman" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi there, sure hoping someone can offer some advice. Been doing some
> upgrading and now am running a Soyo Dragon Lite with a Pentium
> 4-2.4gig. When I upgraded the video from a GF2 32Meg to an FX5200 with
> 128Meg and went from 98 to Xp, I started having problems with the
> drivers (according to XP}. With the GF2 and XP, all the drivers I
> found were not "signed". My box would spontaneously reboot during
> games, sometimes in applications as well. Also, the Monitor makes a
> clicking noise and blacks out for a moment; like the resolution has
> just been changed. I decided to go with the FX5200 because it was
> cheap and Nvidias latest drivers are signed for the FX series of
> cards. Well, upon installing the new card and the newest Detonator
> drivers, I found that XP no longer complained that the drivers were
> unsigned but still have all of the same old problems, as described
> above. I'm thinking that maybe its a simple switch in the BIOS that
> might be the culprit but am reluctant to start experimenting because
> of the extensive individual changes that are available and no
> descriptions of what most of them do. Hope someone might help.

jhgd
July 1st 03, 11:43 PM
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:39:26 -0400, Folk > wrote:

-On 30 Jun 2003 18:05:39 -0700, (Mike Wyman)
-wrote:
-
->Hi there, sure hoping someone can offer some advice. Been doing some
->upgrading and now am running a Soyo Dragon Lite with a Pentium
->4-2.4gig. When I upgraded the video from a GF2 32Meg to an FX5200 with
->128Meg and went from 98 to Xp, I started having problems with the
->drivers (according to XP}. With the GF2 and XP, all the drivers I
->found were not "signed". My box would spontaneously reboot during
->games, sometimes in applications as well. Also, the Monitor makes a
->clicking noise and blacks out for a moment; like the resolution has
->just been changed. I decided to go with the FX5200 because it was
->cheap and Nvidias latest drivers are signed for the FX series of
->cards. Well, upon installing the new card and the newest Detonator
->drivers, I found that XP no longer complained that the drivers were
->unsigned but still have all of the same old problems, as described
->above. I'm thinking that maybe its a simple switch in the BIOS that
->might be the culprit but am reluctant to start experimenting because
->of the extensive individual changes that are available and no
->descriptions of what most of them do. Hope someone might help.
-
-Is this a clean install of XP, or an upgrade over 98? From the
-description you give, it sounds like an upgrade. If so, that is more
-than likely the source of your problems.
-

Have you set some kind of security temperature that reboot your computer
after the video card had heat-up a bit... like smart doctor or some other
kind of program like that ...

Mike Wyman
July 1st 03, 11:50 PM
Folk > wrote in message >...
>>
> Is this a clean install of XP, or an upgrade over 98? From the
> description you give, it sounds like an upgrade. If so, that is more
> than likely the source of your problems.


I wish it were that simple. This is a clean install of XP Home
Edition, with all updates.

Beowulf
July 2nd 03, 05:16 AM
I'm not too familiar with the Soya mobos. I have noticed some issues
with XP sp1 and graphics stability, even in 2D. Given the headaches
I've had to help solve, I'ld recommend dropping back to Win2K sp3 as a
gamer platform. With recent updates (BIOS, chipset etc) its rock solid
for OPENGL and most dx/D3D games. Xp just isn't there yet as a stable
platform sp2 should fix that. Its very telling when corporations start
considering Linux or BSD over XP when planning the next upgrade from 2k.
I wrestle with a few XP system (data acquisition, 2D graphics) that ,
although don't bsod, apps lock up or XP refuses to load them for no good
reason - must reboot. This is on HP, Compaq, Dell, and various others.
So far 2ksp3 has been a rock. Run it at home with a wide variety of
games on G1DDR to G4Ti4200 - occasionaly a few tweaks are needed.
Unless you need the XP GUI eyecandy, go with 2K. Check the version
numbers - 2K is NT 5.00 and XP is NT 5.1 I really think that MS blew it
on Xp and i banking on $ and hype to carry through to the next OS.

Mike Wyman wrote:

>Folk > wrote in message >...
>
>
>>Is this a clean install of XP, or an upgrade over 98? From the
>>description you give, it sounds like an upgrade. If so, that is more
>>than likely the source of your problems.
>>
>>
>
>
>I wish it were that simple. This is a clean install of XP Home
>Edition, with all updates.
>
>

Doug Whitesell
July 2nd 03, 10:19 PM
"Beowulf" > wrote in message ...
<snip>
> So far 2ksp3 has been a rock. Run it at home with a wide variety of
> games on G1DDR to G4Ti4200 - occasionaly a few tweaks are needed.
> Unless you need the XP GUI eyecandy, go with 2K. Check the version
> numbers - 2K is NT 5.00 and XP is NT 5.1 I really think that MS blew > it on Xp and i banking on
$ and hype to carry through to the next OS.

Problem with 2000 is, to my knowledge, it is not as good for gaming as WinXP
(insert_random_version_here) is. I run XP Pro on my home systems and have never had any troubles
with it, but I had a massive amount of trouble with 2000 Professional when I used it for my game
box.

-----
Doug Whitesell
Exiled Lab Technician
"As computers get faster, the operating system overhead must increase in proportion."
zigspalffy33 [at] verizon [dot] net

Mike Wyman
July 3rd 03, 12:58 AM
jhgd > wrote in message >...
>
> Have you set some kind of security temperature that reboot your computer
> after the video card had heat-up a bit... like smart doctor or some other
> kind of program like that ...

Nope, nothing at all pertaining to any programs that monitor
motherboard or video temperatures...

Mike Wyman
July 3rd 03, 01:00 AM
Beowulf > wrote in message >...
> I'm not too familiar with the Soya mobos. I have noticed some issues
> with XP sp1 and graphics stability, even in 2D. Given the headaches
> I've had to help solve, I'ld recommend dropping back to Win2K sp3 as a
> gamer platform. With recent updates (BIOS, chipset etc) its rock solid
> for OPENGL and most dx/D3D games. Xp just isn't there yet as a stable
> platform sp2 should fix that. Its very telling when corporations start
> considering Linux or BSD over XP when planning the next upgrade from 2k.
> I wrestle with a few XP system (data acquisition, 2D graphics) that ,
> although don't bsod, apps lock up or XP refuses to load them for no good
> reason - must reboot. This is on HP, Compaq, Dell, and various others.
> So far 2ksp3 has been a rock. Run it at home with a wide variety of
> games on G1DDR to G4Ti4200 - occasionaly a few tweaks are needed.
> Unless you need the XP GUI eyecandy, go with 2K. Check the version
> numbers - 2K is NT 5.00 and XP is NT 5.1 I really think that MS blew it
> on Xp and i banking on $ and hype to carry through to the next OS.


Thanks for the advice. Never considered Win2k. Food for thought...