PDA

View Full Version : Re: Using Flatscreen Digital or LCD Monitor with GeForce 2 Ultra

Builder
June 30th 03, 10:39 PM
most flat screen monitors will either allow analog or digital cable
connection. However if your going to spend the money on a flat screen I
highly recommend getting a video card that outputs digital. They can be had
very cheap. I think you can get a ti 4200 for under 100 dollars. As for the
flat screen I would recommend the kds rad 9
"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> I have a Creative Labs Annihilator 2 card. It only has the standard
> analog monitor output on the card. I know it probably won't connect
> directly to a digital flatscreen (isn't that LCD?) but do they make
> adapters? My current monitor is looking worse and worse all the time
> and I think it's time for a new one. Black looks like a hazy green.
> It's a shame because this monitor is only about 2.5 years
> (micronpc.com).
>
> So I'd like to replace it with a lighter, crisper monitor that doesn't
> double as an old fashioned radiator as it's hot enough in my room
> without having this huge 19" monitor filling the air with more heat.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Damaeus

Martin Eriksson
June 30th 03, 10:41 PM
"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> I have a Creative Labs Annihilator 2 card. It only has the standard
> analog monitor output on the card. I know it probably won't connect
> directly to a digital flatscreen (isn't that LCD?) but do they make
> adapters? My current monitor is looking worse and worse all the time
> and I think it's time for a new one. Black looks like a hazy green.
> It's a shame because this monitor is only about 2.5 years
> (micronpc.com).
>
> So I'd like to replace it with a lighter, crisper monitor that doesn't
> double as an old fashioned radiator as it's hot enough in my room
> without having this huge 19" monitor filling the air with more heat.

Just get an LCD screen with both analog and digital connectors (VGA & DVI).
That way you can upgrade later. Most LCD's come with either VGA or VGA+DVI.
Almost none come exclusively with DVI.

I can recommend the Hitachi CML174 LCD's. They are very nice and not too
expensive. If you want stylish design you should probably go with Samsung.

/M

Martin Eriksson
June 30th 03, 10:54 PM
"Martin Eriksson" > wrote in message
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > I have a Creative Labs Annihilator 2 card. It only has the standard
> > analog monitor output on the card. I know it probably won't connect
> > directly to a digital flatscreen (isn't that LCD?) but do they make
> > adapters? My current monitor is looking worse and worse all the time
> > and I think it's time for a new one. Black looks like a hazy green.
> > It's a shame because this monitor is only about 2.5 years
> > (micronpc.com).
> >
> > So I'd like to replace it with a lighter, crisper monitor that doesn't
> > double as an old fashioned radiator as it's hot enough in my room
> > without having this huge 19" monitor filling the air with more heat.
>
> Just get an LCD screen with both analog and digital connectors (VGA &
DVI).
> That way you can upgrade later. Most LCD's come with either VGA or
VGA+DVI.
> Almost none come exclusively with DVI.
>
> I can recommend the Hitachi CML174 LCD's. They are very nice and not too
> expensive. If you want stylish design you should probably go with Samsung.

Also, as the other poster says, get a new video card. A GF4 440 or better,
or a GF FX 5200 should be cheap and get you a DVI signal and a much better
VGA signal too!

/M

NuT CrAcKeR
July 2nd 03, 12:35 AM
uhhhhmmmm WRONG!

I have 2 Compaq TFT5010i displays (running in a dualhead config) and they
only have DVI in the back. The cables I use have DVI plugging into the
display, and D-Sub (VGA) that plug into the cards. They came that way from
Compaq.

Be very careful when making uninformed, blanket generalizations like that.

NuTs