PDA

View Full Version : Are two cards better than one?

Koert
June 30th 03, 09:03 PM
After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
two options:

Get a new

My setup includes a P4 2.2
with an unknown brand AGP GeForce4 MX440 (Medion computer with MicroStar
mb). The existing video card will be used for my secondary monitor and the
television.

I want to add a second video card (PCI) that will connect to my Dell 19" LCD
and I'm not sure which card to buy. Should I get another MX440? Will using
the same driver make the system more stable?

The Dell monitor has both vga and digital inputs. Should I try to find a
card with dvi, or is the image difference negligible? This will be mostly
for business stuff and and Paint Shop Pro - no games.

Sure would appreciate any recommendations for the second video card.

Thanks.

Koert
June 30th 03, 09:11 PM
Oops! Premature Posting!

Let me try again:
After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
two options:

Keep my existing unknown brand GeForce4 MX440 in the AGP slot and use it for
the secondary monitor and the tv. Get a new card with DVI for the primary
monitor.

-or- scrap the existing card and get a new card, probably a Gaiward Ultra650
GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb.

The question: In terms of performance, and most importantly stability, is it
preferable to have one card handling two displays, or is it better to have a
separate card for each display? The costs are about the same.

Thanks

Lester Piglet
June 30th 03, 10:02 PM
Well, I would say, the less you have the less there is to go wrong.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a
"Koert" > wrote in message
> Oops! Premature Posting!
>
> Let me try again:
> After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
> two options:
>
> Keep my existing unknown brand GeForce4 MX440 in the AGP slot and use it
for
> the secondary monitor and the tv. Get a new card with DVI for the primary
> monitor.
>
> -or- scrap the existing card and get a new card, probably a Gaiward
Ultra650
> GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb.
>
> The question: In terms of performance, and most importantly stability, is
it
> preferable to have one card handling two displays, or is it better to have
> separate card for each display? The costs are about the same.
>
> Thanks

Martin Eriksson
June 30th 03, 10:49 PM
"Koert" > wrote in message
> Oops! Premature Posting!
>
> Let me try again:
> After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
> two options:
>
> Keep my existing unknown brand GeForce4 MX440 in the AGP slot and use it
for
> the secondary monitor and the tv. Get a new card with DVI for the primary
> monitor.
>
> -or- scrap the existing card and get a new card, probably a Gaiward
Ultra650
> GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb.
>
> The question: In terms of performance, and most importantly stability, is
it
> preferable to have one card handling two displays, or is it better to have
> separate card for each display? The costs are about the same.

I recommend the GF4 Ti4200 single card.

I think 3D acceleration gets disabled when using two cards, but I could be
wrong. But anyway, one of these cards will be running on PCI which degrades
performance a little. A single card with several outputs gives much less
hassle too, draws less power, generates less heat, etc etc.

You'll have a hard time finding a single-output DVI card anyway (most come
with VGA+DVI or VGA+SVHS+DVI), so you'll probably get a multi-monitor card
anyhow!

And since you want to use the TV and VGA on one card and DVI on another... I
think you'll end up in a configuration nightmare setting that up.

/M

Conrad
June 30th 03, 11:46 PM
I am running an Asus v8440 (Geforce4 ti400). It has outputs for two
monitors and is fine when using windowed apps, but when two monitors are
installed, it doesn't like full screen apps like games. I got lock-ups and
BSOD etc.
I ran two monitors for a while, but didn't use the potential enough to put
up with the problems.

Conrad

"Martin Eriksson" > wrote in message
> "Koert" > wrote in message
> > Oops! Premature Posting!
> >
> > Let me try again:
> > After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled
on
> > two options:
> >
> > Keep my existing unknown brand GeForce4 MX440 in the AGP slot and use it
> for
> > the secondary monitor and the tv. Get a new card with DVI for the
primary
> > monitor.
> >
> > -or- scrap the existing card and get a new card, probably a Gaiward
> Ultra650
> > GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb.
> >
> > The question: In terms of performance, and most importantly stability,
is
> it
> > preferable to have one card handling two displays, or is it better to
have
> > separate card for each display? The costs are about the same.
>
> I recommend the GF4 Ti4200 single card.
>
> I think 3D acceleration gets disabled when using two cards, but I could be
> wrong. But anyway, one of these cards will be running on PCI which
degrades
> performance a little. A single card with several outputs gives much less
> hassle too, draws less power, generates less heat, etc etc.
>
> You'll have a hard time finding a single-output DVI card anyway (most come
> with VGA+DVI or VGA+SVHS+DVI), so you'll probably get a multi-monitor card
> anyhow!
>
> And since you want to use the TV and VGA on one card and DVI on another...
> think you'll end up in a configuration nightmare setting that up.
>
> /M

NuT CrAcKeR
July 2nd 03, 12:42 AM
I hate to say this, esp here...

but so far my best experience with dual head setups has been with Matrox
cards. I have used the G400 dualheads for years, and when I got mine they
came with a groovy cable for SVideo out to TV on one of the connectors (2
D-Subs). Great drivers, nice features.

Every time I look at the new cards and thier prices, i just go back to my
trusty G400.

BUT... right now I am running my GF4MX420 AND an old MGA PCI card at the
same time to acheive a dualhead setup.

So far its good. I game with the Geforce, and use the other display for IM,
spreadsheets, and remote desktop sessions to servers...

NuTs