PDA

View Full Version : Which video card?

michael
June 30th 03, 05:05 AM
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
4200.

Scott
June 30th 03, 05:25 AM
Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply. If =
it doesn't fit, then set it somewhere. 250W is cutting it very close =
for today's high end, heat producing hardware.

Scott

"michael" > wrote in message =
> Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my =
system.Are
> there any better cards
> available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
> upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
> SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though =
the
> power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with =
the
> 4200.
>=20

michael
June 30th 03, 05:59 AM
It's not a matter of shape or size,the motherboard connector uses a
completely different 24 pin arrangement from any other psu,and Compaq only
makes them in 235 and 250 watt models.Why they used such a low powered unit
in a Pentium 4 system is beyond me.I've searched for months for a third
party unit that would work,or even an adaptor to use with one,but it's
hopeless.
news:VYOLa.84348$%[email protected]

"michael" > wrote in message
> Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
system.Are
> there any better cards
> available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
> upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
> SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
> power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
> 4200.

J.Clarke
June 30th 03, 08:23 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:36:07 +0100
"Jdr" > wrote:

> "Dude" ? See what it means.
>
> dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =
> fool(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
>
> Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?

In the United States in the early part of the 21st Century "dude" is
part of the vernacular. The use of "dude" as an equivalent to "pal",
"buddy", the British usage of "mate", and so on originated, I believe,
in the black community in the US some time in the 1960s and has since,
as a result of white people wanting to appear to be in touch with the
latest trends, become widespread, to the point that it was used by Dell
Computer as part of their advertising slogan recently, the slogan being
"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell". Since that time its use in the context
of"Dude, you're gettin' a (whatever)" has become a humorous way of
making a suggestion.

> Strange....
>
> "Scott" > wrote in message
> news:VYOLa.84348$%[email protected]
>
> Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply.
> If it doesn't fit, then set it somewhere.
> 250W is cutting it very close for today's high end,
> heat producing hardware.
>
> Scott
>

> "michael" > wrote in message
> > Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
> system.Are
> > there any better cards
> > available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I
> > can't upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> > Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> > Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2
> > and SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> > The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though
> > the power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> > I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand
> > with the 4200.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jdr
June 30th 03, 11:36 AM

"michael" > wrote in message
> Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
system.Are
> there any better cards
> available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
> upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
> SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
> power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
> 4200.

J.Clarke
June 30th 03, 01:07 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:29:52 GMT
carchadon > wrote:

> Jdr wrote:
>
> > "Dude" ? See what it means.
> >
> > dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =
> > fool(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
> >
> > Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?
> >
> > Strange....
>
> You sad, sad man.

Or someone who is not a native speaker of English or is from a locality
in which "dude" is not part of the vernacular, in which case he was no
doubt puzzled by it and looked it up and found that it, according to the
dictionary definition, was inappropriate for the use in question.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Scott
June 30th 03, 01:44 PM
You obviously have WAY too much time on your hands.....Dude :)

"Jdr" > wrote in message =
> "Dude" ? See what it means.
>=20
> dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =3D =
fool
> (cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
>=20
> Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?
>=20
> Strange....
>=20
> "Scott" > wrote in message
> news:VYOLa.84348$%[email protected]
>=20
> Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply.
> If it doesn't fit, then set it somewhere.
> 250W is cutting it very close for today's high end,
> heat producing hardware.
>=20
> Scott
>=20
>=20
> "michael" > wrote in message
> > Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
> system.Are
> > there any better cards
> > available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I =
can't
> > upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> > Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> > Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 =
and
> > SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> > The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though =
the
> > power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> > I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand =
with the
> > 4200.
> >

>=20

Scott
June 30th 03, 01:47 PM
Well in that case your only hope is to get hooked up in a Compaq user =
groups somewhere. You then might get hooked up with some resources out =
there, where others have had the same issue. Beyond that, my only =
recommendation is to build your own next time. I've been building my =
own rigs for 7 years now, and have never looked back.

Scott

"michael" > wrote in message =
> It's not a matter of shape or size,the motherboard connector uses a
> completely different 24 pin arrangement from any other psu,and Compaq =
only
> makes them in 235 and 250 watt models.Why they used such a low powered =
unit
> in a Pentium 4 system is beyond me.I've searched for months for a =
third
> party unit that would work,or even an adaptor to use with one,but it's
> hopeless.
> "Scott" > wrote in message
> news:VYOLa.84348$%[email protected]
> Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply. =
If it
> doesn't fit, then set it somewhere. 250W is cutting it very close for
> today's high end, heat producing hardware.
>=20
> Scott
>=20
>=20
> "michael" > wrote in message
> > Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
> system.Are
> > there any better cards
> > available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I =
can't
> > upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> > Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> > Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 =
and
> > SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> > The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though =
the
> > power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> > I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand =
with the
> > 4200.
> >

>=20

carchadon
June 30th 03, 02:29 PM
Jdr wrote:

> "Dude" ? See what it means.
>
> dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. = fool
> (cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
>
> Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?
>
> Strange....

You sad, sad man.

Lester Piglet
June 30th 03, 02:52 PM
It may not be your power supplys fault that Unreal2 crashed, it repeatedly
crashed on my machine and all my friends pc's. I only use quality hardware.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a
"michael" > wrote in message
> Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
system.Are
> there any better cards
> available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
> upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
> SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
> power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
> 4200.

michael
June 30th 03, 05:59 PM
I have heard that the game itself hasn't worked well on many systems.If it
were the only one that caused the shut down,I'd write it off as game
related,but the Blackhawk Down demo also caused it.On the other hand,every
other game,including the new ones I mentioned,worked fine.I'm just worried
how the 4200 will respond to Halflife 2 or Doom3,which I'm really looking
forward to playing.

"Lester Piglet" > wrote in message
> It may not be your power supplys fault that Unreal2 crashed, it repeatedly
> crashed on my machine and all my friends pc's. I only use quality
hardware.

> --
> Les Ross
> Certified by a
> Professional
> "michael" > wrote in message
> > Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
> system.Are
> > there any better cards
> > available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
> > upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
> > Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
> > Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
> > SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
> > The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
> > power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
> > I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with
the
> > 4200.

Ed_
July 1st 03, 05:16 AM
In article >, "michael" says...

>It's not a matter of shape or size,the motherboard connector uses a
>completely different 24 pin arrangement from any other psu,and Compaq only
>makes them in 235 and 250 watt models.Why they used such a low powered unit
>in a Pentium 4 system is beyond me.I've searched for months for a third
>party unit that would work,or even an adaptor to use with one,but it's
>hopeless.
>"Scott" > wrote in message
>news:VYOLa.84348$%[email protected]
>Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply. If it
>doesn't fit, then set it somewhere. 250W is cutting it very close for
>today's high end, heat producing hardware.
>
>Scott
>

>"michael" > wrote in message
>> Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my
>system.Are
>> there any better cards
>> available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
>> upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
>> Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
>> Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
>> SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
>> The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
>> power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
>> I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
>> 4200.

Michael, you sound like a man who knows what he is talking about but I have to
ask.........what is the model number of the Presario? I have a 7ap195 and I
upgraded my Compaq PS to an Allied 350W last year, no problems with the
connector or functionality. I also had a 235W, at least Compaq tried to call it
one.

I know what a pain the Presarios can be with proptietory parts and Compaq
charges a small fortune to replace or upgrade them. I'm not questioing you, I'm
just curious.

Ed

michael
July 1st 03, 08:16 AM
It's a 5423US.It's one of a series of Pentium 4 models with ddr memory that
Compaq produced using a motherboard and psu of their own design that has
totally different connections from the standard ATX.
"Ed_" > wrote in message
> In article >, "michael" says...
> >

> Michael, you sound like a man who knows what he is talking about but I
have to
> ask.........what is the model number of the Presario? I have a 7ap195 and
> upgraded my Compaq PS to an Allied 350W last year, no problems with the
> connector or functionality. I also had a 235W, at least Compaq tried to
call it
> one.
>
> I know what a pain the Presarios can be with proptietory parts and Compaq
> charges a small fortune to replace or upgrade them. I'm not questioing
you, I'm
> just curious.
>
> Ed

carchadon
July 1st 03, 04:12 PM
Michael - there are PSU with several different connectors if you shop around -
for instance....mine has the standard ATX plug, a thin single row plug (with
about 5 flat pins - I have a P3 mobo with this type of power connector) and
another plug with 4 female pins in a square - surely yours must be one of these?

michael wrote:

> It's a 5423US.It's one of a series of Pentium 4 models with ddr memory that
> Compaq produced using a motherboard and psu of their own design that has
> totally different connections from the standard ATX.
> "Ed_" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "michael" says...
> > >

> > Michael, you sound like a man who knows what he is talking about but I
> have to
> > ask.........what is the model number of the Presario? I have a 7ap195 and
> > upgraded my Compaq PS to an Allied 350W last year, no problems with the
> > connector or functionality. I also had a 235W, at least Compaq tried to
> call it
> > one.
> >
> > I know what a pain the Presarios can be with proptietory parts and Compaq
> > charges a small fortune to replace or upgrade them. I'm not questioing
> you, I'm
> > just curious.
> >
> > Ed

Lester Piglet
July 1st 03, 08:54 PM
Would it not be viable to rewire your old connector to a new psu?

--
Les Ross
Certified by a
"michael" > wrote in message
> My unit doesn't have the standard ATX plug,it's a 24 pin connector.Only
> Compaq makes this type with the pinout wiring arranged the way it is.
> I've searched for months for a third party unit,they just don't
exist.There
> are units with 24 pin connectors,but they're wired differently.
> "carchadon" > wrote in message

michael
July 2nd 03, 07:31 AM
At this point,I figure I have three options - replace the motherboard and
case(another little surprise from Compaq,they designed the case to only fit
their motherboard),try and find someone who can make an adaptor wiring
harness so a standard PSU could be connected to the original motherboard,or
just
get what use I can out of the system until I can afford a new one (which
definately won't be a Compaq!).
"Lester Piglet" > wrote in message
m...
> Would it not be viable to rewire your old connector to a new psu?
>
> --
> Les Ross
> Certified by a
> Professional
> "michael" > wrote in message
> > My unit doesn't have the standard ATX plug,it's a 24 pin connector.Only
> > Compaq makes this type with the pinout wiring arranged the way it is.
> > I've searched for months for a third party unit,they just don't
> exist.There
> > are units with 24 pin connectors,but they're wired differently.
> > "carchadon" > wrote in message

Lester Piglet
July 2nd 03, 11:41 AM
You can buy a new case complete with 300w psu for less than 30.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a
"michael" > wrote in message
> At this point,I figure I have three options - replace the motherboard and
> case(another little surprise from Compaq,they designed the case to only
fit
> their motherboard),try and find someone who can make an adaptor wiring
> harness so a standard PSU could be connected to the original
motherboard,or
> just
> get what use I can out of the system until I can afford a new one (which
> definately won't be a Compaq!).
> "Lester Piglet" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Would it not be viable to rewire your old connector to a new psu?
> >
> > --
> > Les Ross
> > Certified by a
> > Professional
> > "michael" > wrote in message
> > > My unit doesn't have the standard ATX plug,it's a 24 pin
connector.Only
> > > Compaq makes this type with the pinout wiring arranged the way it is.
> > > I've searched for months for a third party unit,they just don't
> > exist.There
> > > are units with 24 pin connectors,but they're wired differently.
> > > "carchadon" > wrote in message

Just Me
July 4th 03, 05:30 PM
Thank God for this newsgroup.... I was thinking about buying a new system
and Compaq *would have been* my first choice. I guess now I'll just
assemble one of my own, or go with a higher priced Dell system. At least
then I'll be able to have some standard interfaces.

Why do these companies do this to their customers? Certainly they won't
have the chance of doing it to me.

Rodg

m> At this point,I figure I have three options - replace the motherboard
m> and case(another little surprise from Compaq,they designed the case to
m> only fit their motherboard),try and find someone who can make an adaptor
m> wiring harness so a standard PSU could be connected to the original
m> motherboard,or just
m> get what use I can out of the system until I can afford a new one (which
m> definately won't be a Compaq!).
m> "Lester Piglet" > wrote in message
m> m...
??>> Would it not be viable to rewire your old connector to a new psu?
??>>
??>> --
??>> Les Ross
??>> Certified by a
??>> Professional
??>> "michael" > wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>> My unit doesn't have the standard ATX plug,it's a 24 pin
??>>> connector.Only Compaq makes this type with the pinout wiring arranged
??>>> the way it is. I've searched for months for a third party unit,they
??>>> just don't
??>> exist.There
??>>> are units with 24 pin connectors,but they're wired differently.
??>>> "carchadon" > wrote in message
??>>

With best regards, Just Me. E-mail:

Lester Piglet
July 4th 03, 09:38 PM
"Just Me" > wrote in message
> Thank God for this newsgroup.... I was thinking about buying a new system
> and Compaq *would have been* my first choice. I guess now I'll just
> assemble one of my own, or go with a higher priced Dell system. At least
> then I'll be able to have some standard interfaces.
>
> Why do these companies do this to their customers? Certainly they won't
> have the chance of doing it to me.
>
> Rodg

Build your own.You get your own choice of components at better prices. AND
you get a bit of savvy as well.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a