PDA

View Full Version : Re: Problem when updating Nvidia nForce VGA Driver to v4243

Charles C. Drew
June 29th 03, 06:28 PM
Don't do the update drivers from the Microsoft's Update page. Download the
nforce drivers and install them like you normally have to. I have yet to
get drivers installed successfully from Microsoft's Update page.

If I'm mistaken by what you mean by "MSI Live Update 2" facility, the never
mind.

"James Lawrence" > wrote in message
| Hi.
|
| I just can't work out why I'm getting this problem....
|
| I have a new PC (only a few months old) and am using Windows XP on it.
| I'm currently running v4114 of the Nvidia nForce VGA Driver, with no
| problems.
| Using the "MSI Live Update 2" facility, there is a v4243 update available,
| which I installed.
|
| However, after installing this new version, my monitor (which is an AOC
| LM720A TFT) does an auto-config *every* time I restart my computer (when I
| say auto-config, I mean the process where it flashes up "auto-config" on
the
| screen and adjusts/focuses the picture).
|
| This is the second time that I've tried doing the update. I got the same
| problem last time, but have just given it another go this afternoon in the
| hope that it might work this time.
| I've done a system restore to go back to using v4114, as I'm not going to
| have my monitor do the config on every start up.
|
| Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem, and possibly a
| solution, as I would really like to get over this hurdle, so that I can
use
| this latest driver.
|

| Thanks very much,
| James.
|

| NB. Please keep explanations simple if poss, as although I'm fairly PC
| literate, I'm not much of a techie!! Cheers.

Shaun
June 30th 03, 04:53 AM
"Charles C. Drew" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Don't do the update drivers from the Microsoft's Update page. Download
the
> nforce drivers and install them like you normally have to. I have yet to
> get drivers installed successfully from Microsoft's Update page.
>
> If I'm mistaken by what you mean by "MSI Live Update 2" facility, the
never
> mind.

MSI live update, for MSI hardware. Not MS as in Microsoft. Obviously he has
an MSI video card and the live update should work fine.

The reconfig issue might be simply just because the new drivers are for a
split second disabling the video card before it initializes the screenmode
that you have set in Windows. I've noticed things like this before with new
driver versions, where they make the monitor completely reset upon mode
switching.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Ron Merts
July 1st 03, 07:52 AM
I agree, it's probably the video going through a "hard-reset" which is
causing the monitor to auto-config itself. While it may be un-nerving it's
probably just doing what it thinks is best to give you the best picture
since the "reset".

Ron