PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me: OT about joystick/gamepad


Jef
June 29th 03, 05:05 PM
Hi everybody,

Like I already said, excuse me for posting an off-topic message like this,
but I thought the people in this group to be the best suitable for helping
me out with my question. First because questions are answered thoroughly in
at least 99% of the cases, second because people who like fast videocards
are usually people who like to play games with them.
I like to play games as well (between much longer periods of serious work on
my PC off course ;-)) and am considering buying a specialized game
controller. I have an Asus 9280S, that is a Ti4200 which I like very much
and which enables me to play 3D games very well.
I recentely bought "prisoner of war", I think it'll be a very exciting game,
but it'll have to wait till next week when my vacation starts. I would
however like to hear from You what controller You use for Your games.
Joystick or gamepad? Which brand? How do You like it / would You recommend
it to me? Is force feedback or "rumbling" nice or is it just something You
use once and then disable it?
Also I would like to know, even though I expect the answer to be "Yes" (I
just like to be sure before spending my money) whether I could freely choose
which controller to use with for example Prisoner of War. Or does one
specific type of game (e.g. FPS or trainsim) require it's own type of
controller (I am not mentioning steering wheels or very specialized
equipment for flight sim or so, I know they exist but do not intend to buy
one of them, the choice is merely between joystick or gamepad).

Thank You very much in advance for Your efforts!!!

Greetings,
René

P.S. I prefer as much opinions as I can get, so if someone else has already
given his or hers, please do not hesitate to add Yours...

[email protected] writeme.com
June 29th 03, 05:20 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:05:57 +0200, "Jef" >
wrote:

>Also I would like to know, even though I expect the answer to be "Yes" (I
>just like to be sure before spending my money) whether I could freely choose
>which controller to use with for example Prisoner of War. Or does one
>specific type of game (e.g. FPS or trainsim) require it's own type of
>controller (I am not mentioning steering wheels or very specialized
>equipment for flight sim or so, I know they exist but do not intend to buy
>one of them, the choice is merely between joystick or gamepad).
>
It totally depends on the gametype. An FPS should be played with
keyboard and mouse, as should a properly coded third person shooter
(like GTA3). I personaly use a gamepad for arcade style driving games
and Madden 2003 (American Football game). I use a joystick for flight
sims.

I have no idea what controls POW uses as Codemasters haven't released
a demo for it, which usualy indicates its rather iffy so I don't by
it. If they have implemented mouse control, I would imagine keyboard
and mouse would be best.

Andrew.

Jef
June 29th 03, 05:26 PM
>
> Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!

René

Shep©
June 29th 03, 07:03 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:20:21 +0100, In this world we created
[email protected] writeme.com wrote :

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:05:57 +0200, "Jef" >
>wrote:
>
>>Also I would like to know, even though I expect the answer to be "Yes" (I
>>just like to be sure before spending my money) whether I could freely choose
>>which controller to use with for example Prisoner of War. Or does one
>>specific type of game (e.g. FPS or trainsim) require it's own type of
>>controller (I am not mentioning steering wheels or very specialized
>>equipment for flight sim or so, I know they exist but do not intend to buy
>>one of them, the choice is merely between joystick or gamepad).
>>
>It totally depends on the gametype. An FPS should be played with
>keyboard and mouse, as should a properly coded third person shooter
>(like GTA3). I personaly use a gamepad for arcade style driving games
>and Madden 2003 (American Football game). I use a joystick for flight
>sims.
>
>I have no idea what controls POW uses as Codemasters haven't released
>a demo for it, which usualy indicates its rather iffy so I don't by
>it. If they have implemented mouse control, I would imagine keyboard
>and mouse would be best.
>
>Andrew.

Same here and I like and use Logitech gear.Never had a real problem
with their stuff except a crappy install Cd for one joystick.Soon
sorted with free updated downloadable drivers.
Joypad for arcade games.
Joystick for flight sims.
And of course the,"Mouse/Keyboard" for serious online games ;-)




--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
Free songs download,
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

Jef
July 4th 03, 01:00 AM
ThanX!!!

René

Strontium
July 4th 03, 01:21 AM
In the future, it's considered etiquette to leave the thread intact.
How, on earth, is anyone with a ****ty nsp like you, for instance, gonna
know how or why you solved ut problem? sorry, just me.

-
Jef stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> ThanX!!!
>
> René

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

[email protected] writeme.com
July 4th 03, 07:52 AM
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:21:25 -0500, "Strontium" >
wrote:

> In the future, it's considered etiquette to leave the thread intact.

Someone who top posts preaching etiquette - lol

Andrew.

[email protected] writeme.com
July 4th 03, 08:32 AM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:16:42 -0500, "Strontium" >
wrote:

>And top-posting is 'wrong', how? Mr. Smartass...?
>
>I, both, bottom and top post. I use whatever is appropriate for the
>situation. Are you a bottomposting-nazi?
>
No, I am just a person that reads english from the top of a page
downwards. Call me old fashioned.

Andrew.

Strontium
July 4th 03, 09:00 AM
'Old fashioned' :P

I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting' debate,
again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all decided that it
was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you weren't at that meeting.


-
[email protected] writeme.com stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:16:42 -0500, "Strontium" >
> wrote:
>
>> And top-posting is 'wrong', how? Mr. Smartass...?
>>
>> I, both, bottom and top post. I use whatever is appropriate for the
>> situation. Are you a bottomposting-nazi?
>>
> No, I am just a person that reads english from the top of a page
> downwards. Call me old fashioned.
>
> Andrew.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Strontium
July 4th 03, 12:41 PM
Welcome to nym-shifting mode, dumbass :)


Plonk that, up your ass.


-
[email protected] writeme.com stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 03:00:33 -0500, "Strontium" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting'
>> debate, again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all
>> decided that it was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you
>> weren't at that meeting.
>>
> Oh well, thank god for killfiles then.
>
> *plonk*
>
> Andrew.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Strontium
July 4th 03, 12:44 PM
What kind of faggot name is 'andrew', anyway. Do you take it in your
mouth, while you get it up your ass? Just wondering. Andrew is such a
faggot name :) Have fun, FAGGOT.

-
Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> Welcome to nym-shifting mode, dumbass :)
>
>
> Plonk that, up your ass.
>
>
> -
> [email protected] writeme.com stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 03:00:33 -0500, "Strontium" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting'
>>> debate, again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all
>>> decided that it was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you
>>> weren't at that meeting.
>>>
>> Oh well, thank god for killfiles then.
>>
>> *plonk*
>>
>> Andrew.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Dave
July 4th 03, 06:06 PM
You know, I have to agree with Strontium on this one. I don't really like
having to scroll down through three pages just to read, "Yeah, what he
said."

Dave

<[email protected] writeme.com> wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:16:42 -0500, "Strontium" >
> wrote:
>
> >And top-posting is 'wrong', how? Mr. Smartass...?
> >
> >I, both, bottom and top post. I use whatever is appropriate for the
> >situation. Are you a bottomposting-nazi?
> >
> No, I am just a person that reads english from the top of a page
> downwards. Call me old fashioned.
>
> Andrew.

[email protected] writeme.com
July 4th 03, 07:23 PM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:06:20 -0700, "Dave" >
wrote:

>You know, I have to agree with Strontium on this one. I don't really like
>having to scroll down through three pages just to read, "Yeah, what he
>said."
>
Dickheads that bottom post and don't trim are the worst posters out
there.

Andrew.

Sunny
July 5th 03, 12:42 AM
Better plonk me then. (I keep putting the old fashioned memos on the top of
the applicable file)
The written stuff, before PCs etc.

<[email protected] writeme.com> wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 03:00:33 -0500, "Strontium" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting' debate,
> >again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all decided that it
> >was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you weren't at that meeting.
> >
> Oh well, thank god for killfiles then.
>
> *plonk*

Or you could shuffle through the whole file, for the umpteenth time, to read
the latest.