PDA

View Full Version : Radeon vs GF4 ti

Chris Hudson
June 29th 03, 01:36 PM
i know this question has been asked to death but can't seem to make my
mind up definately from those answers, so can anyone give me a better
idea for my spec. Ive an Athlon 1700XP (1.47Ghz) and 512mb ram and
currently a GF4 MX 460 running the latest dets, and really to run vice
city and colin mcrae 3 need a bit more graphical power. Ive got a
budget of about 150 max so im looking at a Gainward ti4800 golden
sample as from what ive seen the low end FX's aren't much better or a
ati radeon 9600pro (9500pro if i can get it).
im not loyal to any brand just want the best performance for my setup,
and im thinking a radeon would be a better long term option being DX9,
if anyone can point me to any comparisons or personal opinions between
ti's and radeons it would be appreciated, but can only find FXs vs.

cheers for any help

Chris

John Russell
June 29th 03, 05:08 PM
"Chris Hudson" > wrote in message
m...
> i know this question has been asked to death but can't seem to make my
> mind up definately from those answers, so can anyone give me a better
> idea for my spec. Ive an Athlon 1700XP (1.47Ghz) and 512mb ram and
> currently a GF4 MX 460 running the latest dets, and really to run vice
> city and colin mcrae 3 need a bit more graphical power. Ive got a
> budget of about 150 max so im looking at a Gainward ti4800 golden
> sample as from what ive seen the low end FX's aren't much better or a
> ati radeon 9600pro (9500pro if i can get it).
> im not loyal to any brand just want the best performance for my setup,
> and im thinking a radeon would be a better long term option being DX9,
> if anyone can point me to any comparisons or personal opinions between
> ti's and radeons it would be appreciated, but can only find FXs vs.
>
> cheers for any help
>
> Chris
It you've got a limited budget then it's wise not to but cards at the
beggining of their lifecycle. Over time they come down in price as new
products appear. The GF4 cards are real bargains now, and they run all the
current games really well. It was only latest generation Radeon cards which
eclipsed the Gf4 family, and Nvidia have had a hard time catching up. So
"old radeon" versus "old GF4" would be a win to Gf4.

I have been looking at some of the latest reviews and it's becoming clear
that the faster cards only have a clear advantage if your running at high
resolutions.It seems daft to me to pay extra for one of these things to only
run it at 800x600. So your monitor has to be considered when making a
descion.

Ron Merts
July 1st 03, 07:50 AM
I'd consider the 4800 before one of the FX cards. They will definitely save
you some cash and you can use what you save (possibly) to upgrade the CPU to
an Athlon XP 2000+ or 2200+ CPU (both are under $100 - USD). The 5200 Ultra
is a nice card and performs respectibly but you need a fast CPU behind it to
push it near to anything in the GeForce 4 Ti4X00 lineup. The only thing you
will be missing is the full DX9 compatibility - but I have DX9 installed on
a GeForce 4 Ti4800 running Freelancer (which requires DX9) and it looks good
and plays very well on an Athlon XP 1800+ with 256Mb and XP Home.

Ron

P.S. I have nothing against the ATi hardware, but their drivers sometimes
leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to stability.