PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 3 ti 200 - leadtek - safe overclocking levels advice sought

ceedee
June 28th 03, 03:10 PM
never overclocked a graphics card before

is it worth doin i this case
if so what sort of levels should i overclock too

system

amd 2100+ xp not overclocked
win xp
512 ddr ram
nothing is overclocked on my system at present

cheers

Brad
June 30th 03, 03:22 AM
I haven't had much use for overclocking since the K6-2 days, so I'm not an
up-to-speed OC guru or anything, but owning one of these cards, here is my
advice/thoughts, FWIW.

There are lot of old reviews of G3 Ti200 with info on overclocking levels
and results. Usually even upping the clock 25+ MHz only yields a few frames
according to the reviews, and IMHO is not worth doing, unless you have a
specific game that you play that is noticably improved with OC'ing. I will
say it is a fairly overclockable card, depending really on whether the
vendor used good RAM. Your system is similar to mine and most things will
play just fine with the card not overclocked (I generally play at 1280x1024
16 or 32-bit, sometimes 2x AA).

The stock fan/heatsink is more than enough for the G3 Ti200 if you don't OC
it, but if you decide that's really what you want to do long-term, consider
getting a quality VGA cooler or maybe installing a slot fan (like AOC System
Blower) next to your card (which could also help your overall system ambient
temperature). If you're not going to clock it close to at least 200Mhz
core, gradually of course (maybe as much as 440-460 for the RAM), which it
can probably do handily, then I wouldn't mess with it. But that's just me,
do whatever you think.

Brad