PDA

View Full Version : quality control?

Jeremy Dimmick
June 28th 03, 02:01 AM
I've just got through my third MSI Geforce card in 18 months --
luckily the PC's still under guarantee so I'm not the one losing
out, apart from a few days' inconvenience. But I find myself
wondering what's the reason; I've never had that kind of component
failure before. They've each died of different things -- with the
original one (a GF3) the fan seized up, and evesham.com who supplied
the PC replaced it with a GF4 Ti4200 (nice, to get something better
than you paid for). That started getting colour corruption and
crashing with increasing regularity; I seem to remember the engineer
saying the memory on it had gone. So he put another one of the same
model on, and a couple of days ago, with no warning (about an hour
after I was last using it), it completely died on me: wouldn't boot
up, giving me a screenful of multicoloured square blotches, followed
after a few seconds' think by a screenful of multicoloured vertical
lines. Then the system would think for a bit, power down, try to
reboot, and repeat ad infinitum. I tried out an old GF1 that I've
been using in my old PC for about three years I guess, and it's
fine. So the engineer is on his way again.
So, I ask myself (and you lot out there, obviously): what's up
with that? Am I just unlucky? Is the quality control just not good
enough? Or is it possible that there's some subtle, marginal fault
somewhere else in the system that's putting stress on the graphics
cards and causing them to die of premature old age? Obviously the
first one, with the fan, must have just been a mechanical fault, but
with the other two I'm starting to get quite neurotic. I wouldn't
have the first clue where to look for a trigger or underlying
condition. I don't think I'm abusing it -- I've never overclocked
and the system doesn't stay on for days on end or spend *that* much
of its time playing games. Any thoughts, at all?

jd

pete
June 28th 03, 02:11 AM
How's your case cooling? How many fans are installed? And if there are any,
what configuration are they in? What is your internal case temperature?Your
not overclocking so that rules out abuse. MSI's are supposed to be pretty
good. DO you have a fan speed/voltage monitoring program running(MBM)? Could
be either a high case temperature problem or some bad voltages coming from
your power supply.

Let me know what you find,

Pete

"Jeremy Dimmick" > wrote in message
> I've just got through my third MSI Geforce card in 18 months --
> luckily the PC's still under guarantee so I'm not the one losing
> out, apart from a few days' inconvenience. But I find myself
> wondering what's the reason; I've never had that kind of component
> failure before. They've each died of different things -- with the
> original one (a GF3) the fan seized up, and evesham.com who supplied
> the PC replaced it with a GF4 Ti4200 (nice, to get something better
> than you paid for). That started getting colour corruption and
> crashing with increasing regularity; I seem to remember the engineer
> saying the memory on it had gone. So he put another one of the same
> model on, and a couple of days ago, with no warning (about an hour
> after I was last using it), it completely died on me: wouldn't boot
> up, giving me a screenful of multicoloured square blotches, followed
> after a few seconds' think by a screenful of multicoloured vertical
> lines. Then the system would think for a bit, power down, try to
> reboot, and repeat ad infinitum. I tried out an old GF1 that I've
> been using in my old PC for about three years I guess, and it's
> fine. So the engineer is on his way again.
> So, I ask myself (and you lot out there, obviously): what's up
> with that? Am I just unlucky? Is the quality control just not good
> enough? Or is it possible that there's some subtle, marginal fault
> somewhere else in the system that's putting stress on the graphics
> cards and causing them to die of premature old age? Obviously the
> first one, with the fan, must have just been a mechanical fault, but
> with the other two I'm starting to get quite neurotic. I wouldn't
> have the first clue where to look for a trigger or underlying
> condition. I don't think I'm abusing it -- I've never overclocked
> and the system doesn't stay on for days on end or spend *that* much
> of its time playing games. Any thoughts, at all?
>
> jd

Jeremy Dimmick
June 28th 03, 02:27 AM
Looking into the cooling is a very good thought, thanks. I'll report
back.

"pete" > wrote in message
> How's your case cooling? How many fans are installed? And if there
are any,
> what configuration are they in? What is your internal case
temperature?Your
> not overclocking so that rules out abuse. MSI's are supposed to be
pretty
> good. DO you have a fan speed/voltage monitoring program
running(MBM)? Could
> be either a high case temperature problem or some bad voltages
coming from
> your power supply.
>
> Let me know what you find,
>
> Pete

Shepİ
June 28th 03, 02:38 AM
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:01:59 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Jeremy Dimmick" > wrote :

>I've just got through my third MSI Geforce card in 18 months --
>luckily the PC's still under guarantee so I'm not the one losing
>out, apart from a few days' inconvenience. But I find myself
>wondering what's the reason; I've never had that kind of component
>failure before. They've each died of different things -- with the
>original one (a GF3) the fan seized up, and evesham.com who supplied
>the PC replaced it with a GF4 Ti4200 (nice, to get something better
>than you paid for). That started getting colour corruption and
>crashing with increasing regularity; I seem to remember the engineer
>saying the memory on it had gone. So he put another one of the same
>model on, and a couple of days ago, with no warning (about an hour
>after I was last using it), it completely died on me: wouldn't boot
>up, giving me a screenful of multicoloured square blotches, followed
>after a few seconds' think by a screenful of multicoloured vertical
>lines. Then the system would think for a bit, power down, try to
>reboot, and repeat ad infinitum. I tried out an old GF1 that I've
>been using in my old PC for about three years I guess, and it's
>fine. So the engineer is on his way again.
> So, I ask myself (and you lot out there, obviously): what's up
>with that? Am I just unlucky? Is the quality control just not good
>enough? Or is it possible that there's some subtle, marginal fault
>somewhere else in the system that's putting stress on the graphics
>cards and causing them to die of premature old age? Obviously the
>first one, with the fan, must have just been a mechanical fault, but
>with the other two I'm starting to get quite neurotic. I wouldn't
>have the first clue where to look for a trigger or underlying
>condition. I don't think I'm abusing it -- I've never overclocked
>and the system doesn't stay on for days on end or spend *that* much
>of its time playing games. Any thoughts, at all?
>
>jd

I've always bought no name OEM video cards.The G3 Ti 200 I'm running
is made by,"Excalibur" and still going strong after 18 months.An old
MX G2 card I had and passed on,again a cheap Jetway,is still going
strong after 3 years + in another system.The only caveat is that they
were bought from dealers I trust who seem to know what makes not to
stock.
I'm not criticizing MSI but there have been quite a few posts with
problems with them and therefore I'll stick to OEM brands.
My 10 penn'th.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,