Jeremy Dimmick
June 28th 03, 02:09 AM
"Nathan" > wrote in message
> Why wont DVD's play back any more?
>
> I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
>
> Windows XP
> GFX5800
> 44.03

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
of this in this ng). I've also found that with certain 40.xx
drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
acceleration in the program's options. Others here have suggested
keeping PowerDVD installed so you have the relevant codecs, but
using Windows Media Player instead.

jd

J.Clarke
June 28th 03, 04:45 AM
Email your news provider and ask if they accept cancels from nvidia.
I believe that you will find that they do not. Most accept cancels
only from the original poster or in some cases from well-established
spam-cancelling agents.

In general it is very difficult to "censor" USENET.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003
06:06:06 > wrote:

> Try placing the display in clone mode and seeing what happens. H/W
> accel still won't work, but you should still get a picture...other
> than this, it's back to the 40.72's...
>
> "Nathan" > wrote in message
> > Why wont DVD's play back any more?
>
> Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a
> capillary?
>
> > I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
> >
> > Windows XP
> > GFX5800
> > 44.03

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dave
June 28th 03, 07:06 AM

"Nathan" > wrote in message
> Why wont DVD's play back any more?

Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a capillary?

> I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
>
> Windows XP
> GFX5800
> 44.03

Nathan
June 28th 03, 09:11 AM
All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce FX5800

"Brad" > wrote in message
> Like he said, probably need to revert to 40.72 drivers. Lots of
discussion
> on this recently.
>

> "Jeremy Dimmick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Nathan" > wrote in message
> > > Why wont DVD's play back any more?
> > >
> > > I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
> > >
> > > Windows XP
> > > GFX5800
> > > 44.03
> > >

> > Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
> > 40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
> > of this in this ng). I've also found that with certain 40.xx
> > drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
> > acceleration in the program's options. Others here have suggested
> > keeping PowerDVD installed so you have the relevant codecs, but
> > using Windows Media Player instead.
> >
> > jd

Stephen Smith
June 28th 03, 12:50 PM
"Jeremy Dimmick" > wrote in message

> "Nathan" > wrote in message
> > Why wont DVD's play back any more?
> >
> > I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
> >
> > Windows XP
> > GFX5800
> > 44.03
> >

> Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
> 40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
> of this in this ng).

I suffered this problem the other day (with 44.03 drivers) and I went back
to using 41.09. My DVDs work fine using 41.09......? (using Hercules 3D
Prophet III GeForce 3)

> I've also found that with certain 40.xx
> drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
> acceleration in the program's options.

Same here too using PowerDVD 3. (was bundled with my video card)

I downloaded an update for PowerDVD 3 which fixes a few bugs, but most
importantly allows hardware acceleration to be enabled.

If you use PowerDVD 3, I'd recommend you grab the update.

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/patches.jsp?ProdName=PowerDVD&Pr
odId=28

(sorry, I know that URL is going to word-wrap)

Rgds,

Stephen.

Heh?
June 28th 03, 06:34 PM
Nathan wrote:
> Why wont DVD's play back any more?
>
> I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
>
> Windows XP
> GFX5800
> 44.03

Uninstall all video drivers down to VGA basic. Uninstall your DVD
software. Run scandisk/defrag. Reinstall video driver of choice.
reinstall dvd software.

This worked for me when I installed the 4x.xx's and PDVD stopepd working
on me. Noticeably NvDVD player DID work, though... but that's just my
cynical side.

Brad
June 28th 03, 08:37 PM
Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well, you'll
get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs like tvtool
against macrovision, disabling hw accel, etc. If you're lucky something
will work, but its kinda' iffy. Most people solve it with the 40.72s. For
everybody else it always seems to be something different, so just a lot of
trial and error.

"Nathan" > wrote in message
> All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce FX5800
>

> "Brad" > wrote in message
> > Like he said, probably need to revert to 40.72 drivers. Lots of
> discussion
> > on this recently.

> > > Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
> > > 40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
> > > of this in this ng). I've also found that with certain 40.xx
> > > drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
> > > acceleration in the program's options. Others here have suggested
> > > keeping PowerDVD installed so you have the relevant codecs, but
> > > using Windows Media Player instead.
> > >
> > > jd

tq96
June 28th 03, 11:29 PM
> Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well,
> you'll get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs
>
>> All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce
>> FX5800

It doesn't matter. If he has an FX5800, then the macrovision issue
wouldn't be his problem. This issue only affects older cards using older
non-MV complient tv chips. No card manufacturer in its right mind would
knowingly make an NVidia card without MV support knowing the current state
of affairs.

Anybody
June 28th 03, 11:57 PM
lol some people always fear the worst when they "think" they have top secret
info to share.
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> Concerning your subject line: Both posts are showing, here. Perhaps you
> should investigate your NSP. How, on earth, would nVidia censor a
> newsgroup, anyway?
>
> -
> Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Try placing the display in clone mode and seeing what happens. H/W
> > accel still won't work, but you should still get a picture...other
> > than this, it's back to the 40.72's...
> >
> > "Nathan" > wrote in message
> >> Why wont DVD's play back any more?
> >
> > Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a
> > capillary?
> >
> >> I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....
> >>
> >> Windows XP
> >> GFX5800
> >> 44.03
>
> --
> You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"
>
> -The main character in Postal 2

Nathan
June 29th 03, 04:09 AM
but I am not outputting it to TV, this is on my LCD monitor.

I have solved it

I re-installed the drivers twice and one the second run all is fine. No idea
why.

"tq96" > wrote in message
> > Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well,
> > you'll get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs
> >
> >> All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce
> >> FX5800

> It doesn't matter. If he has an FX5800, then the macrovision issue
> wouldn't be his problem. This issue only affects older cards using older
> non-MV complient tv chips. No card manufacturer in its right mind would
> knowingly make an NVidia card without MV support knowing the current state
> of affairs.

Brad
June 29th 03, 04:36 AM
"tq96" > wrote in message
> > Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well,
> > you'll get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs
> >
> >> All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce
> >> FX5800

> It doesn't matter. If he has an FX5800, then the macrovision issue
> wouldn't be his problem. This issue only affects older cards using older
> non-MV complient tv chips. No card manufacturer in its right mind would
> knowingly make an NVidia card without MV support knowing the current state
> of affairs.

Yeah, that occured to me too, when I thought about it. Surely nobody is
still using the BT868 or similar with nVidia anymore. But this just shows
as I had alluded to in an earlier thread that some people will get the same
or similar initial error message, making it look like the TV chip problem,
and then solve it with a driver reinstall or a sw setting or something,
showing that it was really a different problem.

GeoW
June 29th 03, 07:56 AM
Brad wrote:
> "tq96" > wrote in message
>>> Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think.
>>> Well, you'll get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using
>>> programs

>> It doesn't matter. If he has an FX5800, then the macrovision issue
>> wouldn't be his problem. This issue only affects older cards using
>> older non-MV complient tv chips. No card manufacturer in its right
>> mind would knowingly make an NVidia card without MV support knowing
>> the current state of affairs.
>
> Yeah, that occured to me too, when I thought about it. Surely nobody
> is still using the BT868 or similar with nVidia anymore.
<snip>
GF3 Ti200.

Not everybody runs out and buys the newest card as soon as it comes out. The
GF3 is a little over a year old and does just fine for me. (my wife has a
TNT2 M64) The benchmark scores don't show enough of a difference for me to
upgrade to the current technology from the GF3. What's the point of new
bells and whistles, when the software doesn't use it yet really.

Brad
June 30th 03, 03:07 AM

> > Yeah, that occured to me too, when I thought about it. Surely nobody
> > is still using the BT868 or similar with nVidia anymore.
> <snip>
> GF3 Ti200.
>
> Not everybody runs out and buys the newest card as soon as it comes out.
The
> GF3 is a little over a year old and does just fine for me. (my wife has a
> TNT2 M64) The benchmark scores don't show enough of a difference for me to
> upgrade to the current technology from the GF3. What's the point of new
> bells and whistles, when the software doesn't use it yet really.

I'm using the same chip, friend. I have a couple DX9 games and many many
DX8 games that play quite acceptably on it with features turned up and
everything.

Stephen Smith
June 30th 03, 11:52 AM
"111" > wrote in message
> Stephen Smith wrote:
> >

> >>Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
> >>40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
> >>of this in this ng).
> >

> > I suffered this problem the other day (with 44.03 drivers) and I went
> > back to using 41.09. My DVDs work fine using 41.09......? (using
> > Hercules 3D Prophet III GeForce 3)
> > [snip]
>
> I used to have problem playing DVD with PowerDVD with drivers later than
> 40. Now I don't. The problem just disappeared. I can play DVD with
> PowerDVD using drivers 43.35 or something and 44.03. I have no way to
> explain it but I'm glad it's gone.
>
> Alex

Don't you just hate problems like that? When they just "disappear"? :-( It's
much nicer /knowing/ what cleared up an issue rather than be just
luck/quirk.

Ah well, if it's all working just remember the "if it aint broke, don't fix
it" rule!

:-)

Stephen.

Robert
July 6th 03, 06:33 AM
I had the same problem with WinDVD. Open the APP, then start the disk
manually. It's one way to tell. I've discovered bad drives thais way.

(120/124 BSCS) ASEET MCP A+