PDA

View Full Version : Re: "quiet" fan for GF4200Ti (Asus V9280/TD) + automatic under/overclockquestions

Jay Sottolano
June 27th 03, 04:21 AM
Thomas,
I have the same card, and the fan is very quiet... Perhaps u have a
bad fan? Is it a new card?

Jay S.

dk_sz wrote:
> The (stock) fan I have it extremely noisy. It gets "unbalanced" very easily
> (by itself). I have never ever heard such a noisy fan before - and neither
> have my friends.
> Can anyone of you suggest any of following fans (mainly ThermalTake, if
> there are other good brands, feel free to recommend them!):
>
> Thermaltake Orange Orb Chipset køler
> 5000 RPM / 30 dBA / 12V DC
>
> Thermaltake Crystal Orb chipset køler
> 26.5 dBA / 1 Stk.
>
> Thermaltake VGA køler til GeForce4 Coolmod
>

> Both noise and cooling is important!
>

> Also - does anyone know of a program that can auto switch "clocking"
> profiles
> depending if you are using e.g. desktop compared to using OpenGL/DirectX?
> Say normal clocking is "XXY" and I have found that I can run with "XXX",
> then I would like to have a program that could autoswitch for me as needed.
>

> best regards
> Thomas Schulz

678
June 27th 03, 08:55 AM
I also have the same card. Unfortunately, it also makes noise, the kind
that means something's wrong. Usually it comes when I boot the computer.
But it doesn't happen all the time. And yes, it's only a couple of
months old. It's bad fan all right. When playing games the screen will
freeze, too. Like it's not responding to my mouse. Sending it back means
a wait of a couple of weeks. Not very convenient for me since I don't
have a spare card.

Jay Sottolano wrote:
> Thomas,
> I have the same card, and the fan is very quiet... Perhaps u have a
> bad fan? Is it a new card?
>
> Jay S.
>
> dk_sz wrote:
>
>> The (stock) fan I have it extremely noisy. It gets "unbalanced" very
>> easily
>> (by itself). I have never ever heard such a noisy fan before - and
>> neither
>> have my friends.
>> Can anyone of you suggest any of following fans (mainly ThermalTake, if
>> there are other good brands, feel free to recommend them!):
>>
>> Thermaltake Orange Orb Chipset køler
>> 5000 RPM / 30 dBA / 12V DC
>>
>> Thermaltake Crystal Orb chipset køler
>> 26.5 dBA / 1 Stk.
>>
>> Thermaltake VGA køler til GeForce4 Coolmod
>>

>> Both noise and cooling is important!
>>

>> Also - does anyone know of a program that can auto switch "clocking"
>> profiles
>> depending if you are using e.g. desktop compared to using OpenGL/DirectX?
>> Say normal clocking is "XXY" and I have found that I can run with "XXX",
>> then I would like to have a program that could autoswitch for me as
>> needed.
>>

>> best regards
>> Thomas Schulz

Jay Sottolano
June 27th 03, 01:26 PM
Hello,
If it is only a coupole of months old, you may want to try ASUS and see
if they will send you a replacement fan. I had (still hava as a
backup) at Visiontek Ti200, which Visiontek replaced the fan on for me...

Jay S.

678 wrote:

> I also have the same card. Unfortunately, it also makes noise, the kind
> that means something's wrong. Usually it comes when I boot the computer.
> But it doesn't happen all the time. And yes, it's only a couple of
> months old. It's bad fan all right. When playing games the screen will
> freeze, too. Like it's not responding to my mouse. Sending it back means
> a wait of a couple of weeks. Not very convenient for me since I don't
> have a spare card.
>

> Jay Sottolano wrote:
>
>> Thomas,
>> I have the same card, and the fan is very quiet... Perhaps u have
>> a bad fan? Is it a new card?
>>
>> Jay S.
>>
>> dk_sz wrote:
>>
>>> The (stock) fan I have it extremely noisy. It gets "unbalanced" very
>>> easily
>>> (by itself). I have never ever heard such a noisy fan before - and
>>> neither
>>> have my friends.
>>> Can anyone of you suggest any of following fans (mainly ThermalTake, if
>>> there are other good brands, feel free to recommend them!):
>>>
>>> Thermaltake Orange Orb Chipset køler
>>> 5000 RPM / 30 dBA / 12V DC
>>>
>>> Thermaltake Crystal Orb chipset køler
>>> 26.5 dBA / 1 Stk.
>>>
>>> Thermaltake VGA køler til GeForce4 Coolmod
>>>

>>> Both noise and cooling is important!
>>>

>>> Also - does anyone know of a program that can auto switch "clocking"
>>> profiles
>>> depending if you are using e.g. desktop compared to using
>>> OpenGL/DirectX?
>>> Say normal clocking is "XXY" and I have found that I can run with "XXX",
>>> then I would like to have a program that could autoswitch for me as
>>> needed.
>>>

>>> best regards
>>> Thomas Schulz

Soapm
June 28th 03, 07:17 PM
78" > wrote in message

> I also have the same card. Unfortunately, it also makes noise, the kind
> that means something's wrong. Usually it comes when I boot the computer.
> But it doesn't happen all the time. And yes, it's only a couple of
> months old. It's bad fan all right. When playing games the screen will
> freeze, too. Like it's not responding to my mouse. Sending it back means
> a wait of a couple of weeks. Not very convenient for me since I don't
> have a spare card.

Depending on your ethics you can go buy another card at a local store (best
buy or circuit city) to get you by until your replacement card arrives.
There are times we all must limp until we are fully healed?