PDA

View Full Version : PCI-X video cards?

Jared Richardson
June 27th 03, 01:40 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do quite
enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so I find
myself running w/the onboard video <groan>

Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable price? I
can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice affordable
GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and sound...

Help? tia.

Jared

Jared Richardson
June 27th 03, 02:31 AM
Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
slots. :(

I bought this Tyan board
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8s.html

"Dave" > wrote in message
| What board did you buy? Doesn't it have an AGP slot?
| Dave
|
| "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
| . com...
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do
quite
| > enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so
I find
| > myself running w/the onboard video <groan>
| >
| > Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable
price? I
| > can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice
| affordable
| > GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and
sound...

| > Help? tia.
| >
| > Jared

Thomas Andersson
June 27th 03, 03:56 AM
Jared Richardson wrote:

> Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
> slots. :(

The Upcoming dual Opteron Asus board I saw somewhere did have AGP 8x.
Hmm, I thought PCI-X was supposed to be backwards compatible??

Best Wishes
Thomas

First of One
June 27th 03, 04:25 AM
The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI cards.
Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?

Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can always plop
down the cash for a Creative Extigy...

--
First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply

"Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do quite
> enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so I find
> myself running w/the onboard video <groan>
>
> Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable price? I
> can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice
affordable
> GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and sound...
>
> Help? tia.
>
> Jared

Dave
June 27th 03, 05:07 AM
It says the boards comes with one "legacy" PCI slot. You could get a
Geforce4 MX440 PCI and plug it there, that is unless you already used the
slot for something else. I believe PNY makes a video card like that with
64mb of DDR ram.

Dave

"Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
. com...
> Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
> slots. :(
>
> I bought this Tyan board
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8s.html
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> | What board did you buy? Doesn't it have an AGP slot?
> | Dave
> |
> | "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> | . com...
> | > Hi all,
> | >
> | > I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do
> quite
> | > enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so
> I find
> | > myself running w/the onboard video <groan>
> | >
> | > Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable
> price? I
> | > can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice
> | affordable
> | > GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and
> sound...
> | >
> | > Help? tia.
> | >
> | > Jared

Dave
June 27th 03, 05:12 AM
Those slots don't look like a pci card will physically be able to plug in.
Ouch.
Dave

"Thomas Andersson" > wrote in message
> Jared Richardson wrote:
>
> > Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
> > slots. :(
>
> The Upcoming dual Opteron Asus board I saw somewhere did have AGP 8x.
> Hmm, I thought PCI-X was supposed to be backwards compatible??
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas

Jared Richardson
June 27th 03, 12:33 PM
With the one PCI slot i had to choose between sound or better video. The
PCI-X I have is not physically compatible with the a PCI card... it will not
fit the slot.

When Anandtech.com did their review, they used a PCI-X GeForce4 440 MX, so
they exist somewhere (even if only as engineering samples) :)

Thanks all

"Dave" > wrote in message
> It says the boards comes with one "legacy" PCI slot. You could get a
> Geforce4 MX440 PCI and plug it there, that is unless you already used the
> slot for something else. I believe PNY makes a video card like that with
> 64mb of DDR ram.
>
> Dave
>

> "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
> > slots. :(
> >
> > I bought this Tyan board
> > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8s.html
> >

> > "Dave" > wrote in message
> > | What board did you buy? Doesn't it have an AGP slot?
> > | Dave
> > |
> > | "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> > | . com...

> > quite
> > I find

> > price? I
> > | affordable
> > sound...

Jared Richardson
June 27th 03, 12:33 PM
I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically fit in
the slot. :(

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

"yeeyoh" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far. Huge
> difference.
> I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to buy or
> order in the states.
>

> "First of One" > wrote in message
> le.rogers.com...
> > The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI cards.
> > Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?
> >
> > Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can always plop
> > down the cash for a Creative Extigy...
> >
> > --
> > First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
> > Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply
> > Mech Arena: http://daxin.netfirms.com/
> > FormulaSAE Racing: http://fsae.utoronto.ca
> >

> > "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do
quite
> > > enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so I
find
> > > myself running w/the onboard video <groan>
> > >
> > > Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable price?
> > > can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice
> > affordable
> > > GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and sound...
> > >
> > > Help? tia.
> > >
> > > Jared

J.Clarke
June 28th 03, 05:39 AM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:12:51 -0700
"Dave" > wrote:

> Those slots don't look like a pci card will physically be able to plug
> in. Ouch.
> Dave
>
> "Thomas Andersson" > wrote in message
> > Jared Richardson wrote:
> >
> > > Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have
> > > AGP slots. :(
> >
> > The Upcoming dual Opteron Asus board I saw somewhere did have AGP
> > 8x. Hmm, I thought PCI-X was supposed to be backwards compatible??

For some reason Thomas' post is not showing up on my server so I'll
comment here--the ASUS board is using the Nforce 3 chipset, which does
_not_ support dual Opterons, it supports a _single_ Opteron.

> > Best Wishes
> > Thomas

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J.Clarke
June 28th 03, 05:40 AM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:33:35 GMT
"Jared Richardson" > wrote:

> I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically
> fit in the slot. :(
>
> From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

I looked into this in a bit more detail and found some information that
might be helpful.

The slots are "different" in two ways.

First, they are 64-bit slots, which means that they are physically
longer than 32-bit slots, and any board that has a "skirt" that drops
below the level of the connector will thus not fit.

Second, they are 3.3 volt slots. With 32-bit PCI there is a crossbar in
the slot that prevents boards that don't support the slot voltage from
physically fitting into the slot. For 3.3 volts this crossbar is toward
the card cage, usually at the back of the computer, while for 5v the
connector is physically turned around so it it toward the front of the
computer. The PCI-X slots have a one-piece 64-bit connector that
incorporates the 3.3v crossbar.

Most PCI boards currently on the market are "universal", i.e. they'll
work in 3.3 v or 5v slots and have the cutouts for both.

If your existing board won't fit into the slot then either it has a
skirt or it's a 5-volt-only board.

If you look at <http://www.newegg.com> you'll find that they have both
Radeon 9000 and Geforce FX 5200 boards in stock with PCI bus, no skirt,
and cutouts for both 3.3 and 5 volts, with photos of the boards so you
should be able to count pins and make sure that they will in fact
physically fit your machine before you order.

> "yeeyoh" > wrote in message
> le.rogers.com...
> > I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far.
> > Huge
> > difference.
> > I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to
> > buy or
> > order in the states.
> >

> > "First of One" > wrote in message
> > le.rogers.com...
> > > The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI
> > > cards. Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?
> > >
> > > Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can
> > > always plop down the cash for a Creative Extigy...
> > >
> > > --
> > > First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
> > > Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply
> > > Mech Arena: http://daxin.netfirms.com/
> > > FormulaSAE Racing: http://fsae.utoronto.ca
> > >

> > > "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> > > . com...

> quite
> find

> > > affordable

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J.Clarke
June 28th 03, 05:41 AM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:33:35 GMT
"Jared Richardson" > wrote:

> I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically
> fit in the slot. :(
>
> From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

Forgot to mention, if it's not too late you might want to consider
exchanging the Tyan board for an MSI that has two conventional PCI
slots.

> "yeeyoh" > wrote in message
> le.rogers.com...
> > I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far.
> > Huge
> > difference.
> > I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to
> > buy or
> > order in the states.
> >

> > "First of One" > wrote in message
> > le.rogers.com...
> > > The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI
> > > cards. Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?
> > >
> > > Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can
> > > always plop down the cash for a Creative Extigy...
> > >
> > > --
> > > First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
> > > Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply
> > > Mech Arena: http://daxin.netfirms.com/
> > > FormulaSAE Racing: http://fsae.utoronto.ca
> > >

> > > "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> > > . com...

> quite
> find

> > > affordable

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jared Richardson
June 28th 03, 01:50 PM
I play but I'm not a hard core gamer... a little UT, some 2003, etc is
enough for me. Getting to GF4 gets me far enough to play decently w/o
spending too much $$$ :)

"Shaun" > wrote in message
> As far as a PCI video card goes, why would ever want to go for a GF4 MX.
> There are Radeon 9000 PCI, and also now Geforce FX 5200 PCI cards. If you
> ever go that route that is.
>

> "Jared Richardson" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically fit
> in
> > the slot. :(
> >
> > From what I had read, I believed they would be too.
> >

> > "yeeyoh" > wrote in message
> > le.rogers.com...
> > > I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far.
> Huge
> > > difference.
> > > I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to buy
> or
> > > order in the states.
> > >

> > > "First of One" > wrote in message
> > > le.rogers.com...
> cards.

> plop

> > quite
> > find

> price?

Jared Richardson
June 28th 03, 06:24 PM
Okay, I'm slow but I learn! :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-133-068&refer=pricewatch

A dual head GeForce FX 5200 w/128 megs of memory for $104...

Thanks!