PDA

View Full Version : TV OUT?!?

Alex Cordero
June 26th 03, 08:51 PM
Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it and
Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking about.
So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?

I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's computer.
The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to open
the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's Composite.
To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the store
said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I haven't seen
too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay for a
TV.

Thanks,

-Alex

neopolaris
June 26th 03, 09:18 PM
"Alex Cordero" > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
> signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it and
> Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
> cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking about.
> So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?
>
> I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's
computer.
> The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to
open
> the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's
Composite.
> To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the
store
> said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I haven't
seen
> too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay for
> TV.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Alex

If you have RCA jacks on the back of the TV you can but an adapter.

Karl
June 26th 03, 10:16 PM
You should of got a little converter cable with your card.
The little cable looks like a PS2 mouse plug on one end and a phone socket
on the other of a short cable, most computer shops should have them.

"Alex Cordero" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> my TV has RCA jacks, but what converts the S-VIDEO signal from the card to
> the RCA jacks on the TV?
>
> "neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
> > "Alex Cordero" > wrote in message
> > news:%[email protected]
> > > Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
> > > signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it
and
> > > Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
> > > cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking
> about.
> > > So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?
> > >
> > > I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's
> > computer.
> > > The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to
> > open
> > > the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's
> > Composite.
> > > To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the
> > store
> > > said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I
haven't
> > seen
> > > too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay
> for
> > > TV.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -Alex
> > >

> > If you have RCA jacks on the back of the TV you can but an adapter.

LiNeChAsEr
June 27th 03, 02:01 AM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:43:02 -0700, "Alex Cordero"
> wrote:

>my TV has RCA jacks, but what converts the S-VIDEO signal from the card to
>the RCA jacks on the TV?
>
>"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message ...
>> "Alex Cordero" > wrote in message
>> news:%[email protected]
>> > Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
>> > signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it and
>> > Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
>> > cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking
>about.
>> > So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?
>> >
>> > I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's
>> computer.
>> > The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to
>> open
>> > the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's
>> Composite.
>> > To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the
>> store
>> > said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I haven't
>> seen
>> > too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay
>for
>> > TV.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -Alex
>> >

>> If you have RCA jacks on the back of the TV you can but an adapter.

I have the same card. I have no s-video jack on my tv. I do have a
old adapter cable from my 3dfx card which converts s-video to rca.
But iI still can't get a picture on my tv. It just shows wavy colours.
Any help would be great. Thanks

SG
June 27th 03, 02:02 AM
This place carries alot more but this is what you are talking about. I
got the cable with s-video on one end and a male rca on the other and
it works fine without an extra connection to work loose.
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID832423&partno=70714&search=SVHS&rsite=&rcode=

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:51:39 -0700, "Alex Cordero"
> wrote:

>Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
>signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it and
>Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
>cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking about.
>So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?
>
>I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's computer.
>The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to open
>the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's Composite.
>To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the store
>said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I haven't seen
>too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay for a
>TV.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Alex

neopolaris
June 27th 03, 03:41 AM
I have one that looks just like that. $20 at Radio Shack.

"SG" > wrote in message
> This place carries alot more but this is what you are talking about. I
> got the cable with s-video on one end and a male rca on the other and
> it works fine without an extra connection to work loose.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID832423&partno=70714&search=SVHS&rsite=&rcode=

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:51:39 -0700, "Alex Cordero"
> > wrote:
>
> >Anyway, what kind of cable converts and S-VIDEO signal to a Composite
> >signal? I don't have S-VIDEO on my TV. Radio Shack doesn't have it and
> >Ciruit City tried to sell me something that was $100 with a monster
> >cable--whatever that is? and Good Guys has no idea what I'm talking
about.
> >So, what is this mysterious cable and where do I get one?
> >
> >I just bought a GeForce4 MX440 card with 128Mb of RAM for my son's
computer.
> >The selling point for us was the TV out feature. I was not allowed to
open
> >the box and didn't know what nvidia meant by TV OUT. To me that's
Composite.
> >To our surprise, it's S-VIDEO!! I was ****ed because they guy at the
store
> >said it was a standard TV hookup--to me that's not S-SVIDEO. I haven't
seen
> >too many S-VIDEO TVs--at least not at a price that I'm willing to pay for
> >TV.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >-Alex

Biz
June 27th 03, 04:42 AM
Alex, s-video has been a pretty standard tv-hookup for nearly 10 years now....it is component that
is what is on more expensive models, but it can be found on 27" tvs in the $400 and less range
today. You didnt say what BRAND of Geforce4 MX card you bought so its hard to say whether the
manufacturer makes the adapter you are looking for or not. Most if not all video cards I have
bought with tv-out actually include the adapter with the card, but its been over 10 years now since
I had a tv without an s-video.
--
Biz

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
alloys and compositions and,......things with molecular structures,....and
the....." - Ash