PDA

View Full Version : Omega drivers for Nvidia are AXED!?!

Pluvious
June 26th 03, 06:18 PM
Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :

"Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
we really have no option."

Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
"optimizing"? Pathetic.

Pluvious

Blaedmon
June 26th 03, 08:28 PM
could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

"Pluvious" > wrote in message

> Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :
>
> "Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
> regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
> stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
> wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
> has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
> be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
> we really have no option."
>

> Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
> driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
> "optimizing"? Pathetic.
>

> Pluvious

Derek Wildstar
June 26th 03, 09:00 PM
"Pluvious" > wrote in message

> Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :
>
> "Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
> regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
> stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
> wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
> has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
> be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
> we really have no option."
>

> Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
> driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
> "optimizing"? Pathetic.
>

> Pluvious

Or they do not want their valuable IP rights diluted by allowing
unauthorized modifcations by what could be the appearance of
semi-sanctioning.

Raptor
June 26th 03, 09:22 PM
"Pluvious" > wrote in message

> Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :
>
> "Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
> regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
> stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
> wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
> has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
> be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
> we really have no option."
>

> Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
> driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
> "optimizing"? Pathetic.
>

> Pluvious

Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark" driver
<cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I went
over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care less *what*
Nvidia does really.

who be dat?
June 26th 03, 11:53 PM
"Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
> things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

They can't do any worse than Nvidia has done...

Chris Smith

NoRemorse
June 27th 03, 04:24 AM
"Strontium" > wrote in message
> -
> William stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > "Raptor" > wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark"
> >> driver <cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever
> >> since I went
> >> over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care
> >> less *what*
> >> Nvidia does really.
> >
> > Amen to switching over to ATI. I switched too, and have been very
> > pleased w/ my 9700 pro! In my opinion, I don't care about benchmarks.
> > I mean it's a good tool to some degree, but it all comes down to how
> > the card performs w/ the games.
>
> I can't wait to get that card. Price is still a little to high, right
now,
> for me. Buddy has the 9500 and, after running the GF4 Ti's for awhile,
he's
> totally ditched nVidia. I'm not far behind that path. Of course, I'm
sure
> that in another year or so nVidia will be top dog again...and the cycle
will
> continue. What I'm reading/hearing about the FX line does not really
> impress me, at all.

This reminds me of all the hype about Geforce FX before it was launched.
Like it was supposed to replace an entire ILM render farm. Riiiiiiiiight.

--
[This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

June 27th 03, 08:05 PM
"who be dat?" > wrote in message

> "Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> > could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
> > things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.
>

> They can't do any worse than Nvidia has done...

ATI have..

Doug Hook
June 27th 03, 09:13 PM
"Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
> things in the drivers and giving them a bad name?

This guy that makes the Omega drivers is definetly not a lamer. I have run
most of his driver sets for a while (nvidia and ATI both) with no problems
at all. Nvidia are just too uptight.

Doug Hook
June 27th 03, 09:16 PM
> I can't wait to get that card. Price is still a little to high, right
now,
> for me. Buddy has the 9500 and, after running the GF4 Ti's for awhile,
he's
> totally ditched nVidia. I'm not far behind that path. Of course, I'm
sure
> that in another year or so nVidia will be top dog again...and the cycle
will
> continue. What I'm reading/hearing about the FX line does not really
> impress me, at all.

My 9800pro 128 meg is the best piece of computer hardware I ever bought.

J.Clarke
June 28th 03, 04:48 AM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:13:55 GMT
"Doug Hook" > wrote:

> "Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> > could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers
> > screwing up things in the drivers and giving them a bad name?
>
> This guy that makes the Omega drivers is definetly not a lamer. I have
> run most of his driver sets for a while (nvidia and ATI both) with no
> problems at all. Nvidia are just too uptight.

You can tell that in their attitude toward Linux. They need to make up
their minds whether they are in the software or the hardware business.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Toby Groves
June 29th 03, 03:31 PM
In article >, Blaedmon >
writes
>could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
>things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

ROFLMAO!!!

Others giving them a bad name!?

Give me a break, they've done themselves more damage than anyone else
ever could have.
--
Toby

Toby Groves
June 29th 03, 03:41 PM
In article <[email protected]>, Raptor > writes
>Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark" driver
><cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I went
>over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care less *what*
>Nvidia does really.

They're in a complete spin atm. Timeline goes like this:

1. GF4 rules the roost, working on NV30, all is rosy.
2. 9700 appears way earlier than expected, kicks **** out of GF4
3. NV30 majorly delayed due to fabrication problems
4. NV30 final silicon at target speeds found to be slower than 9700
5. Forced to launch "overclocked" version of NV30 as 5800Ultra to beat 9700
6. 5800Ultra met with howls of laughter and derision by press
7. 9800 arrives to rub salt in
8. Resort to using driver cheats to make lacklustre cards look better
9. Driver cheats exposed, vilified by the press and public over debacle
9. NV35 arrives, what NV30 should have been, but way too expensive

Basically they can't do anything right atm. The NV30 was a complete joke. The
NV35 may be a good card, but it's horrendously expensive compared to the
competition, and I imagine has ****ed off a good few 5800 Ultra owners. They've
been caught blatantly cheating with their drivers in a pathetic attempt to make
their kit look better and now they're just panicking.
--
Toby

ginfest
June 29th 03, 03:56 PM
"Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor
> writes
> >Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark"
driver
> ><cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I went
> >over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care less
*what*
> >Nvidia does really.
>
> They're in a complete spin atm. Timeline goes like this:
>
> 1. GF4 rules the roost, working on NV30, all is rosy.
> 2. 9700 appears way earlier than expected, kicks **** out of GF4
> 3. NV30 majorly delayed due to fabrication problems
> 4. NV30 final silicon at target speeds found to be slower than 9700
> 5. Forced to launch "overclocked" version of NV30 as 5800Ultra to beat
9700
> 6. 5800Ultra met with howls of laughter and derision by press
> 7. 9800 arrives to rub salt in
> 8. Resort to using driver cheats to make lacklustre cards look better
> 9. Driver cheats exposed, vilified by the press and public over debacle
> 9. NV35 arrives, what NV30 should have been, but way too expensive

FUD snipped
Timeline:
NV outsells and outperforms all others
ATI finally get a good run with the 9700 in spite of the hardware failings
and driver incompatabilities with many games
NV30 announced
ATI fanbois get the shivers and all the old feelings of inadequecy
reappear-decision is made to spread FUD about NV thruout the web, leaders
are paid ATI syncophants
9800 is announced to fix some of the 9700 failings, hardware is more
expensive while basically the same core, drivers still are borked
NV30 fails miserably
NV35 is announced, ATI fanbois really worried, campaign of disinformation
continues, ATI drivers still s**k
From the start of the timeline, thru all the releases and BS, NV still
outsells ATI, NV drivers "just work" while ATI users need to use the Omega
drivers just to get by
Oh and BTW, all Omega does to either driver is change settings that can be s
et with Rivatuner, such as LOD increases, thereby getting better IQ with
less performance-now how is the loss of Omega altered NV drivers going to
hurt?

Toby Groves
June 29th 03, 04:26 PM
In article >, ginfest
> writes

<snip FUD and lies>

ROFLMAO!
--
Toby

@ndrew
June 29th 03, 07:40 PM
"Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor
> writes
> >Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark"
driver
> ><cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I went
> >over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care less
*what*
> >Nvidia does really.
>
> They're in a complete spin atm. Timeline goes like this:
>
> 1. GF4 rules the roost, working on NV30, all is rosy.
> 2. 9700 appears way earlier than expected, kicks **** out of GF4
> 3. NV30 majorly delayed due to fabrication problems
> 4. NV30 final silicon at target speeds found to be slower than 9700
> 5. Forced to launch "overclocked" version of NV30 as 5800Ultra to beat
9700
> 6. 5800Ultra met with howls of laughter and derision by press
> 7. 9800 arrives to rub salt in
> 8. Resort to using driver cheats to make lacklustre cards look better
> 9. Driver cheats exposed, vilified by the press and public over debacle
> 9. NV35 arrives, what NV30 should have been, but way too expensive
>

> Basically they can't do anything right atm. The NV30 was a complete joke.
The
> NV35 may be a good card, but it's horrendously expensive compared to the
> competition, and I imagine has ****ed off a good few 5800 Ultra owners.
They've
> been caught blatantly cheating with their drivers in a pathetic attempt to
make
> their kit look better and now they're just panicking.
> --
> Toby

What a load of crud ... simple fact all the companies cheat on drivers.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEx

Anyone who believes reviews on graphic cards on sites that use factory
samples is in cloud cuckoo land. That is most reviews btw.

Honestly both are good card manufacturers .. I own a Radeon 9800 Pro and
like it a lot, prioir to that owned Nvidia cards and even a Voodoo in the
old days.

Statements like the above show how immature some people are in their bias
towards one product ... sheesh.

And I will carry on the crosspost even though it is against my grain (sorry
for those who don't like them).

@ndrew

neopolaris
June 29th 03, 08:50 PM
"ginfest" > wrote in message
et...

> "Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> > In article <[email protected]>, Raptor
> > writes
> > >Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark"
> driver
> > ><cough> enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I
went
> > >over to the dark side last chip cycle :) (9700pro) I could care less
> *what*
> > >Nvidia does really.
> >
> > They're in a complete spin atm. Timeline goes like this:
> >
> > 1. GF4 rules the roost, working on NV30, all is rosy.
> > 2. 9700 appears way earlier than expected, kicks **** out of GF4
> > 3. NV30 majorly delayed due to fabrication problems
> > 4. NV30 final silicon at target speeds found to be slower than 9700
> > 5. Forced to launch "overclocked" version of NV30 as 5800Ultra to beat
> 9700
> > 6. 5800Ultra met with howls of laughter and derision by press
> > 7. 9800 arrives to rub salt in
> > 8. Resort to using driver cheats to make lacklustre cards look better
> > 9. Driver cheats exposed, vilified by the press and public over debacle
> > 9. NV35 arrives, what NV30 should have been, but way too expensive
> >

> FUD snipped
> Timeline:
> NV outsells and outperforms all others
> ATI finally get a good run with the 9700 in spite of the hardware failings
> and driver incompatabilities with many games
> NV30 announced
> ATI fanbois get the shivers and all the old feelings of inadequecy
> reappear-decision is made to spread FUD about NV thruout the web, leaders
> are paid ATI syncophants
> 9800 is announced to fix some of the 9700 failings, hardware is more
> expensive while basically the same core, drivers still are borked
> NV30 fails miserably
> NV35 is announced, ATI fanbois really worried, campaign of disinformation
> continues, ATI drivers still s**k
> From the start of the timeline, thru all the releases and BS, NV still
> outsells ATI, NV drivers "just work" while ATI users need to use the Omega
> drivers just to get by
> Oh and BTW, all Omega does to either driver is change settings that can be
> et with Rivatuner, such as LOD increases, thereby getting better IQ with
> less performance-now how is the loss of Omega altered NV drivers going to
> hurt?

Well put. I'm surpised the ati newsgroup can keep up with all the posted
problems on their board. What a mess.