PDA

View Full Version : Re: Video Randomly Shutting Down

Ron Merts
June 26th 03, 07:52 AM
Is it that the card goes into sleep mode and refuses to wake up? I have
seen that but mostly on older GeForce cards with some newer Detonator 4
drivers. If you suspect a heat problem you can get a Thermaltake Crystal
Orb cooler (heatsink and fan combo) for under $20 and replace the heatsink
only thing that comes on a lot of FX 5200 cards. If you are under Windows
98 or ME and it's going to sleep then not waking up I'd suspect a driver
issue somewhere. I haven't seen it under Windows XP or 2000 only ME and
98SE.

Ron

"amarx" > wrote in message
om...
> Since installing an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra a few days ago, I've
> been having a strange problem: After several hours, when the computer
> has been sitting idle, the video goes dead on the monitor. The
> computer's power remains on and seems to be fine.
>
> When I re-boot, everything is fine again until it happens again.
>
> I'm running the latest drivers for the card and my Asus P4T533
> motherboard.
>
> This only started happening after installing the card, so I'm assuming
> it's the card.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that it's an overheating problem.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

amarx
June 27th 03, 07:02 AM
"Ron Merts" > wrote in message >...
> Is it that the card goes into sleep mode and refuses to wake up? I have
> seen that but mostly on older GeForce cards with some newer Detonator 4
> drivers. If you suspect a heat problem you can get a Thermaltake Crystal
> Orb cooler (heatsink and fan combo) for under $20 and replace the heatsink
> only thing that comes on a lot of FX 5200 cards. If you are under Windows
> 98 or ME and it's going to sleep then not waking up I'd suspect a driver
> issue somewhere. I haven't seen it under Windows XP or 2000 only ME and
> 98SE.
>
> Ron
>
> "amarx" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Since installing an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra a few days ago, I've
> > been having a strange problem: After several hours, when the computer
> > has been sitting idle, the video goes dead on the monitor. The
> > computer's power remains on and seems to be fine.
> >
> > When I re-boot, everything is fine again until it happens again.
> >
> > I'm running the latest drivers for the card and my Asus P4T533
> > motherboard.

I ended up replacing the card with another nVidia card, this time the
GeForce 5600 FX and it's doing the same thing, so it's probably not
the card. I'm running XP.

> > This only started happening after installing the card, so I'm assuming
> > it's the card.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is that it's an overheating problem.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
July 1st 03, 01:42 AM
I have the same problem with my PNY GeForce4 4600. If I go back to 3x.xx
drivers I'm ok for a month or two. The newest drivers last about 10 minutes
before I go into "sleep" mode. I have to reboot, uninstall the drivers, and

om...