PDA

View Full Version : Re: Want dual head, great 3D, full Linux support

Paul
June 26th 03, 04:26 AM
i have a fx 5600 for sale cheap 256 ddr
"Keith Clark" > wrote in message
> So am I dreaming, or is it possible?
>
> I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
> rather poor GL performance).
>
> I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
> dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.
>
> I heard There were some cards that did some or all of these things but I'm
> having trouble finding one.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Keith Clark
June 26th 03, 05:11 AM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:22:33 +0000, KSlater wrote:

> Well I know that my TI4200 works good with Mandrake linux without special
> drivers. I have not tried Quake yet but 3D seems to be working.

Thanks! I was just looking at some benchmarks of the 4200 vs the 4400/4600
based cards on Anandtech. The 4200's are pretty reasonably priced, the
corner store (literally, 4 blocks from my house) has MSI cards, Ti4200
based for just over a hundred bucks, which seems really reasonable.

Which version of XFree86 are you running, 4.3?

Are you using it in Xinerama? Does nVidia give you a configuration tool or
do you need to tweak XF86Config by hand (that's one area where Matrox has
me spoiled).

Thanks again,
Keith

> Kyle
> "Keith Clark" > wrote in message
>> So am I dreaming, or is it possible?
>>
>> I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
>> rather poor GL performance).
>>
>> I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
>> dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.
>>
>> I heard There were some cards that did some or all of these things but I'm
>> having trouble finding one.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...

KSlater
June 28th 03, 12:53 AM
You do? what the price?
"Paul" > wrote in message
a...
> i have a fx 5600 for sale cheap 256 ddr
> "Keith Clark" > wrote in message
> > So am I dreaming, or is it possible?
> >
> > I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which
has
> > rather poor GL performance).
> >
> > I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
> > dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.
> >
> > I heard There were some cards that did some or all of these things but
I'm
> > having trouble finding one.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...

KSlater
June 28th 03, 12:53 AM
I haven't tryed tweaking too much yet so I can't answer that. Nor do I know
for sure if the Dual head part works. I have an MSI card myself. but am
looking to upgrade to the FX 5900 hopefully.

Kyle