PDA

View Full Version : Re: Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

JB West
June 25th 03, 03:58 AM
The current XP driver is 43.51 -- 23.11 is, like, very, very old.
I don't know what the "lastest OpenGl32.dll file from OpenGl.org" is, but
I can't imagine that it's the right one for your system.

"Nassim Bouayad-Agha" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello everybody!
> I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
> with XP Pro and OpenGl.
> When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
> Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
> subsystem".
> I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
> lone, the 23.11....
> I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
> original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
> My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
> OpenGl.org....
> Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
> problems with win98).
> My configuration :
> Windows XP Pro.
> ASUS A7V-KT133
> AMD [email protected]
> 512 Mb of [email protected]
> 30Gb HDD.
> Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
> [...]
> Thank you in advance.

me
June 25th 03, 04:31 AM
On 24 Jun 2003 18:32:30 -0700, (Nassim Bouayad-Agha)
wrote:

>Hello everybody!
>I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
>with XP Pro and OpenGl.
>When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
>Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
>subsystem".
>I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
>updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
>lone, the 23.11....
>I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
>original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
>My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
>OpenGl.org....
>Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
>problems with win98).
>My configuration :
>Windows XP Pro.
>ASUS A7V-KT133
>AMD [email protected]
>512 Mb of [email protected]
>30Gb HDD.
>Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
>[...]
>Thank you in advance.

NASSIM: I forgot to mention that the title of my post is NASSIM:
DRIVERS FOR XP

That may help you find the files among the thousands

[AGW] Duke

Martin Eriksson
June 25th 03, 08:32 AM
"me" > wrote in message
> On 24 Jun 2003 18:32:30 -0700, (Nassim Bouayad-Agha)
> wrote:
>
> >Hello everybody!
> >I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having
troubles
> >with XP Pro and OpenGl.
> >When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
> >Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
> >subsystem".
> >I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> >updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the
last
> >lone, the 23.11....
> >I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
> >original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
> >My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
> >OpenGl.org....
> >Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
> >problems with win98).
> >My configuration :
> >Windows XP Pro.
> >ASUS A7V-KT133
> >AMD [email protected]
> >512 Mb of [email protected]
> >30Gb HDD.
> >Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
> >[...]
> >Thank you in advance.
>
> NASSIM: I forgot to mention that the title of my post is NASSIM:
> DRIVERS FOR XP
>
> That may help you find the files among the thousands

....or none, as many ISPs don't carry high-traffic binary newsgroups.

It is so much easier to post a link (and so much safer):

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_44.03

/M

Spacker
June 25th 03, 08:59 AM
Nassim Bouayad-Agha > wrote:

> I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the
> last lone, the 23.11....

Don't worry about this driver being old, it's a good driver for that card.
I'd recommend you DON'T install the latest driver from nVidia - it's more
likely to cause problem, especially with an older card like the GF2MX
series.

> I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed
> my original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same
> problem... My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest
> OpenGl32.dll file from OpenGl.org....

AFAIK, that's bad. It means you probably have OpenGL 1.1 installed which
probably isn't good enough for most games that use it. XP ships with it's
own OpenGL32.dll file supplied by Microsoft, which maps OpenGL commands into
the MS APIs. Normally when you install a graphics card driver it'll have
it's own DLLs too, but with some drivers this MS one tends to go untouched
(although I'm checking on my ATI based machine here at work, it might be
different with the nVidia drivers which I can check at home).

The other thing to watch out for is that some OGL games ship with 3dfx
drivers - I had problems on this ATI pc when I first installed RtCW due it
trying to load the DLLs from the c:\program files\return to castle
wolfenstein\gl directory. I renamed the 2 files in there (openglv3.dll and
openglv5.dll) to be .dl_, and then copied the opengl32.dll file from the
windows\system32 dir into that folder. Never had a problem with it since.
You shouldn't need to copy the opengl32.dll file as it should be found by
the game, but for some reason mine never was.

First thing I'd suggest is that you run SFC on your machine to fix the XP
files that have been replaced by the OpenGL.org driver installation. Then
reinstall the 23.11 nVidia drivers.

Dan / [AGW]Spacker

[email protected] writeme.com
June 25th 03, 09:09 AM
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:59:30 +0100, "Spacker"
> wrote:

> XP ships with it's
>own OpenGL32.dll file supplied by Microsoft, which maps OpenGL commands into
>the MS APIs.

XP does not have OpenGL support built in, you have to install the
NVidia drivers to be able to run OpenGL games.

Andrew.

Alex Mizrahi
June 25th 03, 10:35 AM
Hello, Martin!
You wrote on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:29:41 +0200:

>> My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file
>> from
>> OpenGl.org....

ME> You shouldn't have to download anything from OpenGL.org. Uninstall
ME> that DLL file so it don't messes up the nVidia one.

there is no nVIDIA opengl32.dll
opengl32.dll goes with OS, it contains GDI Generic software OpenGL
implementation and code to work with OpenGL implementation found in
drivers(it looks in registry key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\O penGLDrivers for dll name
of a driver, for nVIDIA this dll is namded nvoglnt).
that opengl32.dll is os-specific, and if replaced with wrong version wierd
things should happen.

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.