PDA

View Full Version : Re: Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra

Tom Sadler
June 24th 03, 12:15 PM
they do have a monitor in them, but they won't let youput it on the desktop.
I'm watercooled, and using a Xaser III case that has six very quiet fans. I
haven't noticed any general temp increase. I also made a little duct to
blow the hot air out the back of the case. Anyway, thanks.

"Carl" > wrote in message
> Tom Sadler wrote:
> > Does anyone know if someone has written a utility to monitor the temp
> > on an fx5800? I want one I can have open on my desktop. I took the
> > the factory leaf blower off and I want to make sure it doesn't get
> > hot. I mounted a bigger, quieter fan blowing on heat fins
>
> I would suggest that a fan blowing on the heat fins, although having some
> cooling effect, will also help to just blow the hot air around the inside
of
> your PC and may raise the general ambient temp. An exhaust fan is what
you
> want - like a PCI slot fan. This sucks heat away from the card and blows
it
> out the back of your PC. I would also suggest that the factory fitted
> blower would be more efficient although I appreciate the noise aspect is a
> bug bear for some people.
>
> I have a 5800fx and with my PCI slot fan right below it the card's own
dual
> fans hardly ever come on. The air coming out of the back of the PC
through
> the PCI slot opening is quit warm and it also expels air from the rest of
> the case.
>
> I dunno what other cooling methods you employ but this is just my 2
pennies
> worth.
>
> As for you main question, the Det 44.03's that I am currently using have a
> heat monitor built in but I don't know if this will be configured for your
> card, or if its what you are truly looking for.
>
> Carl

June 24th 03, 06:45 PM
I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce FX
5800. If you do not see a temperature setting then install cool bits and
then you should be able to see clock frequencies and temperature.

regards

"Tom Sadler" > wrote in message
. ..
> Does anyone know if someone has written a utility to monitor the temp on
an
> fx5800? I want one I can have open on my desktop. I took the the factory
> leaf blower off and I want to make sure it doesn't get hot. I mounted a
> bigger, quieter fan blowing on heat fins

Tom Sadler
June 24th 03, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I knew about that. I was hoping for a third party monitor like MBM.
One that would be capable of displaying temp in the taskbar or desktop.

"B" > wrote in message
> I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
> installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
> right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce
FX
> 5800. If you do not see a temperature setting then install cool bits and
> then you should be able to see clock frequencies and temperature.
>
> regards

> "Tom Sadler" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Does anyone know if someone has written a utility to monitor the temp on
> an
> > fx5800? I want one I can have open on my desktop. I took the the
factory
> > leaf blower off and I want to make sure it doesn't get hot. I mounted a
> > bigger, quieter fan blowing on heat fins

YanquiDawg
June 24th 03, 11:04 PM
Hey,
I noticed you have a nvidia 5800. I'm thinking of buying one.What do you think
of it? I've heard of some image quality problems with earlier drivers,but
haven't heard anything either way since. Are you happy with the card?Hope you
don't mind this coming out of nowhere.Thanks,Pete

>I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
>installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
>right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce FX
>5800. I

Ron Merts
June 26th 03, 08:04 AM
I have an ASUS GeForce FX 5800 and to be honest, it's not THAT noisy! Of
course it may be drowned out by the 120mm Vantec fan up front and the 4
Thermaltake 80mm fans but I have yet to hear my FX 5800 over the drone of my
system's fans. And this is after 2-3 hours of playing Unreal Tournament
2003 and/or Freelancer. The 5800 prices are dropping fast with the release
and availability of the 5900. Personally I'd go with the FX 5900 card.
They are only about $25-$50 more expensive and perform much more like what
we all hoped for from the FX 5800. The only reason to go with the FX 5900
Ultra (256Mb vs. 128Mb of memory) would be if you were wanting to run at
resolutions 1600X1200 or greater; otherwise you are just blowing an extra
$100. eVGA has their card available as well as Chaintech and Gainward as
well as a much smaller company, Prolink. The Prolink has some very nice
reviews and is competitively priced. The Gainward actually has 2 fans on it
in case one fails. I have a GeForce FX 5900 coming which is going to go
into a new P4 3.0Ghz Springdale system but the only reason I am not moving
the 5800 is because my son has an antique Dual P-III/933 system with a
GeForce2 GTS card; so he's getting a really nice upgrade to a P4 3.06.

Ron