PDA

View Full Version : Freelancer - Gainward Pro660 128mb probs.

Kevin Scott
June 25th 03, 02:16 AM
I can't get freelancer to display at all. The game starts up and reports
that it doesn't recognise my card. If I click continue, the start
sequence/menus appear but there are 6 or 7 "ghost" images overlaying over
the screen.

My set up is Windows XP running on an AMD XP 2000 with 512 mb, Chaintech
summit motherboard, Gainward Pro/660 TV/DVI (running at X4 using 44.03
"detonator" driver - though I have tried older drivers with the same
results) & SB live 5.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kokoro
June 25th 03, 06:57 AM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Kevin Scott ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> I can't get freelancer to display at all. The game starts up and reports
> that it doesn't recognise my card. If I click continue, the start
> sequence/menus appear but there are 6 or 7 "ghost" images overlaying over
> the screen.
>
> My set up is Windows XP running on an AMD XP 2000 with 512 mb, Chaintech
> summit motherboard, Gainward Pro/660 TV/DVI (running at X4 using 44.03
> "detonator" driver - though I have tried older drivers with the same
> results) & SB live 5.1.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Flancer wont work here either, but you get further then me. Here, afer
clicking yes to continue it goes to a black screen and the machine crashes.
only game this happens to is flancer.

XP2400+ @ 139fsb
Abit KX7R
1024mb ram
Creative Audigy2
Siluro FX5800
and an S3 Virge for another monitor, it does get disbled to play games
except MSFS2002 where it seems fine with it, Im even able to work on aps
while running fs2002 full screen on the other monitor. Strange thing the
FX5800 replaced a voodoo5 and games like halflife didnt mind the other
monitor being on, now with the nvidia card they dont like the other
monitor.

June 25th 03, 07:14 PM
Try backing off your drivers to 41.09 Dets. All I can say is I'm using
those (although on a different vid card , a 4400), and Freelancer
works.

Good luck,

Bob M.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:16:12 +0100, "Kevin Scott"
> wrote:

>I can't get freelancer to display at all. The game starts up and reports
>that it doesn't recognise my card. If I click continue, the start
>sequence/menus appear but there are 6 or 7 "ghost" images overlaying over
>the screen.
>
>My set up is Windows XP running on an AMD XP 2000 with 512 mb, Chaintech
>summit motherboard, Gainward Pro/660 TV/DVI (running at X4 using 44.03
>"detonator" driver - though I have tried older drivers with the same
>results) & SB live 5.1.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

June 26th 03, 06:24 PM
When you go into your Display Properties, Monitor section, does the
name of your monitor show up in there? If it says generic, or
something like that, go to the manufacturer's Web page and download
the .inf file for your monitor, and install it (select "change", then
point it to the new file.

Grasping at straws here, good luck.

Bob M.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:04:55 +0100, "Kevin Scott"
> wrote:

>Thanks for the input folks - here is the situatation now.
>
>This is my first card so there were no previous drivers to remove and I also
>tried the 41.09 driver today as suggested but they weren't recognised.
>
>When I use the driver that came with the card the effect is the same as when
>I use the most recent "detonator" drivers. The problem looks like the card
>is trying to diplay at a refresh rate that my monitor can't handle. - Could
>this be the case? I'm going to try a different monitor later today so I
>can eliminate that line of enquiry.
>
> I'm starting to think I should have stuck to console gaming but any more
>ideas would be very welcome.

Kevin Scott
June 27th 03, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input folks - here is the situatation now.

This is my first card so there were no previous drivers to remove and I also
tried the 41.09 driver today as suggested but they weren't recognised.

When I use the driver that came with the card the effect is the same as when
I use the most recent "detonator" drivers. The problem looks like the card
is trying to diplay at a refresh rate that my monitor can't handle. - Could
this be the case? I'm going to try a different monitor later today so I
can eliminate that line of enquiry.

I'm starting to think I should have stuck to console gaming but any more
ideas would be very welcome.

Kevin Scott
June 27th 03, 07:31 PM
Tried my comp with another (newer) monitor this afternoon and it performed
perfectly.

Top of the shopping list this weekend - a new monitor.

Thanks for all the help everybody - just typical that it would turn out to
be something so obvious and non-technical!!!