PDA

View Full Version : Re: Linux and Twinview

Martin
June 22nd 03, 05:11 PM
Rich Mahlerwein wrote:
> I've got a problem that I'm at wit's end about, and I hope someone
> here can shed some light or at least give me a few more pointers.
>
> I've got a GeForce 4 4400 (an MSI, I believe) that works perfectly
> well with dual monitors under WinXP. I'm trying to get the same
> working under Mandrake 9.1. Have a Samsung 152T DFP hooked to the
> DVI output, and an old AOC Spectrum 5Nlr 15" CRT hooked to the VGA
> output.
>
> I can get it working as two separate displays, but that's not what
I'm
> aiming for. I want the twinview like on XP where windows can be
drug
> from one screen to another.

Rich,

I amusing a Geforce 4 Ti4600 in Mandrake 9.1 with Twinview and I can
drag windows back and forward. I fiddled about for ages trying to set
it up manually, but in the end I downloaded yanc and ran that and it
just worked. I am using a CRT monitor and a TFT on the DVI output.
Yanc just takes the hassle out of setting it up.

Regards

Martin

baskitcaise
June 22nd 03, 11:26 PM
Martin wrote:

> Rich Mahlerwein wrote:
>> I've got a problem that I'm at wit's end about, and I hope someone
>> here can shed some light or at least give me a few more pointers.
>>
>> I've got a GeForce 4 4400 (an MSI, I believe) that works perfectly
>> well with dual monitors under WinXP. I'm trying to get the same
>> working under Mandrake 9.1. Have a Samsung 152T DFP hooked to the
>> DVI output, and an old AOC Spectrum 5Nlr 15" CRT hooked to the VGA
>> output.
>>
>> I can get it working as two separate displays, but that's not what
> I'm
>> aiming for. I want the twinview like on XP where windows can be
> drug
>> from one screen to another.
>
> Rich,
>
> I amusing a Geforce 4 Ti4600 in Mandrake 9.1 with Twinview and I can
> drag windows back and forward. I fiddled about for ages trying to set
> it up manually, but in the end I downloaded yanc and ran that and it
> just worked. I am using a CRT monitor and a TFT on the DVI output.
> Yanc just takes the hassle out of setting it up.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

I cannot get yanc to adjust anything other than the cursor shadow on my Suse
8.1, it worked fine with my g/force 3 but with ths fx everything is grayed
out.

Might try a recompile of module and see what transpires.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the drivers do not recognise
the FX5600, it is not in the id strings at all?

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

Rich Mahlerwein
June 23rd 03, 03:00 AM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:26:54 +0100, baskitcaise wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
>> Rich Mahlerwein wrote:
>> [My original post about TwinView on a LCD and CRT snipped]
>> Rich,
>>
>> I amusing a Geforce 4 Ti4600 in Mandrake 9.1 with Twinview and I can
>> drag windows back and forward. I fiddled about for ages trying to set
>> it up manually, but in the end I downloaded yanc and ran that and it
>> just worked. I am using a CRT monitor and a TFT on the DVI output. Yanc
>> just takes the hassle out of setting it up.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Martin
>
> I cannot get yanc to adjust anything other than the cursor shadow on my
> Suse 8.1, it worked fine with my g/force 3 but with ths fx everything is
> grayed out.
>
> Might try a recompile of module and see what transpires.
>
> I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the drivers do not
> recognise the FX5600, it is not in the id strings at all?

Yanc is pretty slick. Nice little program. But I still have the exact
same problem (which gives me the warm fuzzies that I believe I had the
options in XF86Config right... ). I think I'm going to scrounge up
another old 15 or something and see if I can't get that working.

I'll let everyone know if a) I track down a spare monitor that actually
works and b) whether the problem goes away or not.

Martin
June 27th 03, 09:25 PM
Rich Mahlerwein wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:26:54 +0100, baskitcaise wrote:
>
>> Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Rich Mahlerwein wrote:
>>> [My original post about TwinView on a LCD and CRT snipped]
>>> Rich,
>>>
>>> I amusing a Geforce 4 Ti4600 in Mandrake 9.1 with Twinview and I
can
>>> drag windows back and forward. I fiddled about for ages trying to
>>> set it up manually, but in the end I downloaded yanc and ran that
>>> and it just worked. I am using a CRT monitor and a TFT on the DVI
>>> output. Yanc just takes the hassle out of setting it up.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> I cannot get yanc to adjust anything other than the cursor shadow
on
>> my Suse 8.1, it worked fine with my g/force 3 but with ths fx
>> everything is grayed out.
>>
>> Might try a recompile of module and see what transpires.
>>
>> I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the drivers do
not
>> recognise the FX5600, it is not in the id strings at all?
>
> Yanc is pretty slick. Nice little program. But I still have the
> exact same problem (which gives me the warm fuzzies that I believe I
> had the options in XF86Config right... ). I think I'm going to
> scrounge up another old 15 or something and see if I can't get that
> working.
>
> I'll let everyone know if a) I track down a spare monitor that
> actually works and b) whether the problem goes away or not.

Would you like a copy of my XF86Config file?

Martin

Keith Clark
June 27th 03, 10:59 PM
Martin wrote:

> Rich Mahlerwein wrote:

> can

> >> I cannot get yanc to adjust anything other than the cursor shadow
> on
> >> my Suse 8.1, it worked fine with my g/force 3 but with ths fx
> >> everything is grayed out.
> >>
> >> Might try a recompile of module and see what transpires.
> >>
> >> I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the drivers do
> not
> >> recognise the FX5600, it is not in the id strings at all?
> >
> > Yanc is pretty slick. Nice little program. But I still have the
> > exact same problem (which gives me the warm fuzzies that I believe I
> > had the options in XF86Config right... ). I think I'm going to
> > scrounge up another old 15 or something and see if I can't get that
> > working.
> >
> > I'll let everyone know if a) I track down a spare monitor that
> > actually works and b) whether the problem goes away or not.
>
> Would you like a copy of my XF86Config file?
>
> Martin

That's not a bad idea for reference, I wouldn't mind seeing one that's
properly configured myself. I have the nVidia PDF file for the Linux
driver and it's pretty self explanatory, but yeah, examples are good.

Yanc is OK, but not really necessary if you can use vi and have the PDF
file, I think (and an example, maybe).

The Geforce 256 card I'm running in my cubicle doesn't support Twinview
but I'm going to be getting a Ti4200 for home soon (currently I'm using a
Matrox G400 for dual monitors in RedHat 9, and it's OK, but doesn't do 3D
or GL :-<)

So do you just turn on Twinview to get the second monitor running? Do you
need to put Xfree86 in Xinerama mode?

What about the cool GL xscreensavers? Will they crash (because of
xinerama), run on the primary screen only or both? Can I play DVD's and
DivX files on either monitor full screen (this is something I really want
to do and can't currently with the G400 in Linux)?

Thanks for any feedback (and sorry if these are dumb questions),
Keith