PDA

View Full Version : Re: XP cries with my GeForce 4 Ti 4600

Steve
June 22nd 03, 03:51 PM
"Teabag" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:29:51 GMT, "24 Carrot Balla"
> > wrote:
>
> >Okay i'm just trying to diagnose this little problem setup by step.
> >
> >Okay I have a Tyan Tiger 230T 2507T Dual Pentium Board that I'm running
with
> >Dual Pentium III 1.2Ghz 133mhz chips, and I'm Running Windows XP Pro
Retail,
> >I have 1.2GB of PC133 memory in the computer. And if it matters I have a
> >Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum in it.
> >
> >Well my problem is when I I try to enabled the AGP 4x with an AGP Apeture
of
> >any kind with my Geforce 4 Ti 4600 card, and I try to run any type of
game
> >that would use the Direct3D, Windows locks up :-O. I have DirectX 9 I
think
> >too. It doesn't want to behave until I knock the AGP down to 2X, and
that's
> >no fun..
> >
> >So would that be my motherboard, the fact I don't have DDR memory, or
what.
> >It's a MSI Geforce4, and I had the utility get the newest drivers, and
> >everything on the driver descriptors is at 6.14.10.4403. I'm confused.
Help
> >me if you can.
> >

> It's probably your mb that is the problem but can't say for sure. But
> there is no appreciable performance difference between 2x and 4x AGP
> so just set it to 2X and be happy with it.

I know that there is no difference between 2x and 4x but the "fix" should
not be to live with 2x. There is a setting for 4x and one should be able to
use it. Do you have the latest BIOS? I know there was an issue with Via
chipsets and nVidia cards.

---

Tom Dauphin
June 22nd 03, 04:15 PM
Just wanted to add I think there's an issue with the Via/Nvidia drivers -
Must make sure to load or reload the Nvidia drivers AFTER loading the Via
drivers...