PDA

View Full Version : GA-7NF-RZ + GeForce2 MX = No boot?

October 14th 04, 03:59 AM
Argghh! Can anyone help me?

I've just built a system with a GA-7NF-RZ mainboard and I'm using a
cheap Cardex GeForce2 mx400 (64Mb SDRam/64bit) as an AGP video card,
cos I don't really play games.

The problem is - the system won't boot. With just CPU, RAM and Video
Card installed I get no beeps, no video, nothing but fans and power
lights. If I remove the Video Card I get the long-short-short POST beep
which means "video problem." From this I'm assuming the CPU and RAM are
working fine.

The Gigabyte manual says "If the card has a 4x/8x(1.5v) notch, please
ensure that the card is 4x/8x(1.5v)."

According to the vague Cardex manual, the card is AGP 2.0 compliant and
1x 2x 4x. I figured this was enough, but do I need an 8x/AGP 3.0
compliant card instead? Is it possible this card is 3.3v, despite
having the notch? It has no voltage jumpers or anything else...

Can anyone shed any light? I really don't want to spring for a new card
if I can help it (already spent all my money on current setup!)
Regards,

Angus

CapFusion
October 14th 04, 05:47 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Argghh! Can anyone help me?
>
> I've just built a system with a GA-7NF-RZ mainboard and I'm using a
> cheap Cardex GeForce2 mx400 (64Mb SDRam/64bit) as an AGP video card,
> cos I don't really play games.
>
> The problem is - the system won't boot. With just CPU, RAM and Video
> Card installed I get no beeps, no video, nothing but fans and power
> lights. If I remove the Video Card I get the long-short-short POST beep
> which means "video problem." From this I'm assuming the CPU and RAM are
> working fine.
>
> The Gigabyte manual says "If the card has a 4x/8x(1.5v) notch, please
> ensure that the card is 4x/8x(1.5v)."
>
> According to the vague Cardex manual, the card is AGP 2.0 compliant and
> 1x 2x 4x. I figured this was enough, but do I need an 8x/AGP 3.0
> compliant card instead? Is it possible this card is 3.3v, despite
> having the notch? It has no voltage jumpers or anything else...
>
> Can anyone shed any light? I really don't want to spring for a new card
> if I can help it (already spent all my money on current setup!)
> Regards,
>

> Angus

From what I can tell, your 7NF-RZ is a fine MoBo using a old GF2MX440 card.
You MX and your MoBo should be fine together according to Giga-Byte spec..
My suspection is toward the card itself. It can be a defect card.
Can you test this MX440 onto another PC and just to see if it can bootup
only. No need to install on that borrow PC.

CapFusion,...

Kaptain Krunch
October 14th 04, 11:43 PM
I dont have that part number of board but I do have a gigabyte board... My
manual says that the board WILL NOT BOOT if there is a 2x agp card in the
slot...I assume that means 1x or 2x or 2x/4x I have a 4x/8x card... try a
diff card that is only 4x or more

KK

oups.com...