PDA

View Full Version : ATA and SATA? or one or the other?

quietguy
October 6th 04, 03:20 AM
Hi All

I have a 81G1000 motherboard and have used up all my IDE spots - 2 x HDs
( 1 x 120 gig 1x 180 gig) and 2 x DVD Writers - and I need more HD space
for video editing

1. Can I fit SATA drives now, as well as all those IDE devices?

2. Is it better for me to buy a PCI card that will give me some more IDE
slots to fill, as I do have a couple of new IDE drives I could use (1 x
80 gig and 1 x 40 gig)

Cost IS an important issue here

David

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

One2Go
October 6th 04, 12:40 PM
quietguy > wrote in
:

I have a different mobo but use the primary controller for 2 IDE drives the
secondary controller for DVD Writer and DV-Rom drive. For the OS I am using
2 Seagate 160 gig barracudas running Raid 0 using the Intel SATA drivers
and connection. Here is the good news they are blindingly fast. I would
always now use SATA connections.

My one IDE has an Ultra ATA/133 connection and can't touch the speed of the
SATA drives. The only caution if you run an array use the Intel drivers and
disable the Giga Byte connections in the BIOS they suck.

One2Go

Brendan S (Scratch User)
October 7th 04, 01:19 AM
One2Go wrote:
> quietguy > wrote in
> :
>
> I have a different mobo but use the primary controller for 2 IDE drives the
> secondary controller for DVD Writer and DV-Rom drive. For the OS I am using
> 2 Seagate 160 gig barracudas running Raid 0 using the Intel SATA drivers
> and connection. Here is the good news they are blindingly fast. I would
> always now use SATA connections.
>
> My one IDE has an Ultra ATA/133 connection and can't touch the speed of the
> SATA drives. The only caution if you run an array use the Intel drivers and
> disable the Giga Byte connections in the BIOS they suck.

Given that you have two sata drives in raid 0 it is hardly surprising that a single unraided drive can't keep up. A fair comparison would have 2x ATA drives in raid 0 as well.

Brendan

One2Go
October 8th 04, 12:39 PM
"Brendan S (Scratch User)" > wrote in
u:

> One2Go wrote:
>> quietguy > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> I have a different mobo but use the primary controller for 2 IDE
>> drives the secondary controller for DVD Writer and DV-Rom drive. For
>> the OS I am using 2 Seagate 160 gig barracudas running Raid 0 using
>> the Intel SATA drivers and connection. Here is the good news they are
>> blindingly fast. I would always now use SATA connections.
>>
>> My one IDE has an Ultra ATA/133 connection and can't touch the speed
>> of the SATA drives. The only caution if you run an array use the
>> Intel drivers and disable the Giga Byte connections in the BIOS they
>> suck.
>
> Given that you have two sata drives in raid 0 it is hardly surprising
> that a single unraided drive can't keep up. A fair comparison would
> have 2x ATA drives in raid 0 as well.
>
> Brendan

Fair enough, have not tried that yet. Because I had a HD crash last weekend
I am evaluating my disk set-up at this time and perhaps will run the two
ATAs in a raqid 0 config.

One2Go