PDA

View Full Version : No Cntrl-F1 for 7VM400M-RZ ?

Gonzo
September 27th 04, 11:50 PM
I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
it finally died.

I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.

Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?

I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.

Ryan J. Paque
September 28th 04, 11:18 PM
Gonzo wrote:
> I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
> it finally died.
>
> I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
> The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
> the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
>
> Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
>
> I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
> SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.

Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from
within any sublevels?

Ryan

Gonzo
September 29th 04, 05:21 AM
"Ryan J. Paque" > wrote in message
> Gonzo wrote:
>> I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A
>> since it finally died.
>>
>> I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
>> The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from
>> within the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
>>
>> Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
>>
>> I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
>> SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.
>
> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
> any sublevels?
>
> Ryan

Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.

I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
me.

I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.

Ryan J. Paque
October 1st 04, 09:12 AM
Gonzo wrote:

>> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
>>any sublevels?
>>
>> Ryan
>

> Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.
>
> I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
> me.
>
> I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
> their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.

Gigabyte needs to do a LOT to improve manuals and FAQ's... like maybe
hire somebody who speaks English to PROOFREAD them. :) There were
several instances in my MB manual where I had to re-read something a
couple times before the crazy-English made some sense.

Stupid question: did you try both ctrl keys? Thinking back to my
programming days, ctrl+f1 should be interpreted completely differently
than f1 by itself, and shouldn't bring up the f1 help menu, regardless
of their being a ctrl+f1 help screen.

You're right... there should be a list somewhere that lists all the MB
that have this "special feature." My GA-71XE did not have it either.
And of course, its not listed in the MB manuals at all. Unless I'm
blind. :)

Ryan

Gonzo
October 2nd 04, 01:40 AM
"Ryan J. Paque" > wrote in message
> Gonzo wrote:
>
>>> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
>>> any sublevels?
>>>
>>> Ryan
>>

>> Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.
>>
>> I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep
>> at me.
>>
>> I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
>> their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.
>
> Gigabyte needs to do a LOT to improve manuals and FAQ's... like maybe
> hire somebody who speaks English to PROOFREAD them. :) There were
> several instances in my MB manual where I had to re-read something a
> couple times before the crazy-English made some sense.
>
> Stupid question: did you try both ctrl keys? Thinking back to my
> programming days, ctrl+f1 should be interpreted completely differently
> than f1 by itself, and shouldn't bring up the f1 help menu, regardless of
> their being a ctrl+f1 help screen.
>
> You're right... there should be a list somewhere that lists all the MB
> that have this "special feature." My GA-71XE did not have it either. And
> of course, its not listed in the MB manuals at all. Unless I'm blind. :)
>
> Ryan

Aw crap. I found it.

1)I was looking for a new menu to pop up when all it did was actually only
slightly change the existing menu that was on the screen to begin with.
Easy not to notice.

2)I was apparently not doing it from the main screen I guess.

Live and learn. Im glad I found it.

Why the hell does this have to be hidden anyway!?!. Dumb Idea IMO. Never
seen any other MB maker do this crap. Does Gigabyte think we are all
idiots? Sheesh!