PDA

View Full Version : GA-7N400E-L

Nitro®
September 21st 04, 03:50 PM
I just installed a second stick of 512mb pc3200 ddr cl3 ram ( new
stick-micron, original- nanya ). upon booting the machine the memory test
was OK and XP started to boot. As it arrived at the desktop the machine
rebooted, this happened on every subsequent attempt. I tried safe mode etc.
all with the same results. I tried single stick variations which all worked
fine, ruling out bad ram but suggesting maybe they were incompatible. Not to
be beaten I decided to enter the BIOS, here I upped the dimm voltage by 0.1
and presto....system totally stable and running the Os and games just dandy.
My question is: why would upping the voltage to the dimm cure the fault and
are there any long term problems I should be aware of ? T.I.A

---
Well, as best it can be !

Rick
September 22nd 04, 10:05 AM
Nitro® wrote:
> I just installed a second stick of 512mb pc3200 ddr cl3 ram ( new
> stick-micron, original- nanya ). upon booting the machine the memory test
> was OK and XP started to boot. As it arrived at the desktop the machine
> rebooted, this happened on every subsequent attempt. I tried safe mode etc.
> all with the same results. I tried single stick variations which all worked
> fine, ruling out bad ram but suggesting maybe they were incompatible. Not to
> be beaten I decided to enter the BIOS, here I upped the dimm voltage by 0.1
> and presto....system totally stable and running the Os and games just dandy.
> My question is: why would upping the voltage to the dimm cure the fault and
> are there any long term problems I should be aware of ? T.I.A
>

> ---
> Well, as best it can be !

Silicon - the more voltage, the faster the transistors switch.
Also the cooler it is, the faster they switch.

It is common to boost the DIMM voltage. I am using OCZ &
they told me to boost mine by .1V (already had!). I am not familiar
with Your board (What is the default DIMM V?), but Micron is a good
name & You should not have any problem as long as You aren't WAY
above specs.

Consult Your vendor, OCZ guarantees mine from 2.5 - 2.8 V
for instance, and My GA-8KNXP's default DIMM V appears to be
2.64 V. I am currently at 2.74 V.

Hope this Helps!