PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cannot format new 200gb Hard disk

Wayne
September 12th 04, 01:22 PM
sounds like you need to check if your mobo support that size drive and if
you have the newest bios
Don't crosspost to 6 newsgroups!

Wayne

"Milleniumaire" > wrote in message
om...
>I have just installed a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200gb
> (ST3200822A) drive to replace an old 9gb drive.
>
> Windows XP Disk Manager recognises the drive and reports it as
> 186.31GB Unallocated. I can create a Primary Partition on this drive
> to use up all 186.31GB, however if I also choose to format it then at
> the very end of the format process I get the error
>
> "Logical Disk Manager: The format did not complete successfully".
>
> The drive appears in Windows Explorer and when I try to access it I am
> told that it is not formatted and prompts me to format it - which also
> fails.
>
> I have also tried using Partition Magic 8.0 but this fails with Error
> #514 Unknown error formatting volume during the final stage of
> Updating System Information.
>
> When searching the Net, the number 137GB kept appearing as a "large
> disk" boundary which may cause problems, so I tried creating a
> partition of 130GB and it worked, however this leaves me with 70GB of
> wasted space! I am unable to create more partitions to use up the
> extra space as the formatting fails.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP2 (I also tried it with SP1 before upgrading
> to SP2). The fact that windows CAN see the full size of the disk and
> create partitions, but cannot format them seems curious.
>
> I have run some Seagate diagnostic tools to check the disk and no
> errors have been reported.
>
> My machine spec. is:
> Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Socket 478 ATX Rev 2.1
> Intel Pentium 4 2.53ghz Northwood 512
> 768mb PC1066 Rambus Memory
> Winfast A250 Utra TD Graphics
> 2 x DiamondMax+ D740X 40gb UDMA133 in stripped RAID array
> Maxtor 90840D6 9gb
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
> LG GDR-8163BB DVD Rom
> LG GSA-4040B Super Multi DVD Drive
> Windows XP Professional + SP 2
>
> This appears to be a Windows XP problem, but is it possibly a
> Motherboard restriction? (I would have thought not because windows can
> see the whole drive, but just can't format it).
>
> I have spent a whole weekend trying to resolve this problem so any
> pointers would be useful.

WillieNillie
September 13th 04, 06:04 AM
My suggestion, even though the drive is not a maxtor, go to Maxtor's
website, and then Support, downloads, under utilities, you will find
"Maxtor Big Drive Enabler" even with SP1 installed I had problems
until I used this utility

On 12 Sep 2004 03:22:50 -0700,
(Milleniumaire) wrote:

>I have just installed a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200gb
>(ST3200822A) drive to replace an old 9gb drive.
>
>Windows XP Disk Manager recognises the drive and reports it as
>186.31GB Unallocated. I can create a Primary Partition on this drive
>to use up all 186.31GB, however if I also choose to format it then at
>the very end of the format process I get the error
>
>"Logical Disk Manager: The format did not complete successfully".
>
>The drive appears in Windows Explorer and when I try to access it I am
>told that it is not formatted and prompts me to format it - which also
>fails.
>
>I have also tried using Partition Magic 8.0 but this fails with Error
>#514 Unknown error formatting volume during the final stage of
>Updating System Information.
>
>When searching the Net, the number 137GB kept appearing as a "large
>disk" boundary which may cause problems, so I tried creating a
>partition of 130GB and it worked, however this leaves me with 70GB of
>wasted space! I am unable to create more partitions to use up the
>extra space as the formatting fails.
>
>I am running Windows XP SP2 (I also tried it with SP1 before upgrading
>to SP2). The fact that windows CAN see the full size of the disk and
>create partitions, but cannot format them seems curious.
>
>I have run some Seagate diagnostic tools to check the disk and no
>errors have been reported.
>
>My machine spec. is:
>Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Socket 478 ATX Rev 2.1
>Intel Pentium 4 2.53ghz Northwood 512
>768mb PC1066 Rambus Memory
>Winfast A250 Utra TD Graphics
>2 x DiamondMax+ D740X 40gb UDMA133 in stripped RAID array
>Maxtor 90840D6 9gb
>Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
>LG GDR-8163BB DVD Rom
>LG GSA-4040B Super Multi DVD Drive
>Windows XP Professional + SP 2
>
>This appears to be a Windows XP problem, but is it possibly a
>Motherboard restriction? (I would have thought not because windows can
>see the whole drive, but just can't format it).
>
>I have spent a whole weekend trying to resolve this problem so any
>pointers would be useful.

MikeyKs1
October 1st 04, 01:06 PM
It is not the Windows version, Nor the SP version, It is your BIOS.
ATA 100 supports a max of 137GB per hard drive, or array. ATA 133 is
what you need. It supports larger hard drives.

Plowman
October 2nd 04, 09:09 PM
Milleniumaire, I just registered on this site for the sole purpose of
bestowing one hundred blessings on you. I had the exact drive, exact
problem, and the Intel app uninstall was the exact solution. And if
you hadn't provided the answer, it would have been another three days
of well-intentioned but errant advice from my vendors. Thanks so
much.

Milleniumaire
October 17th 04, 06:48 PM
I always try to make the effort to share my solutions so I'm pleased
that someone has benefited from this. I know how frustrating it can
be to find exactly the same problem being reported by someone else but
to not have the solution made available.

Paul.