PDA

View Full Version : GA-7N400 Pro 2

Julie
September 11th 04, 09:18 AM
I am a newbie to this and just installed a GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard. I
wondered if anyone could confirm/answer a couple of questions for me. (Spec
at bottom)

1. What should be the correct jumper settings for the spec below, I do not
want to overclock.
I currently have the default XXXXXX and CLK_SW on Auto

2. Am I correct in thinking the RAM sticks should be in slots 1 and 3 (same
colour)

3. With a room temperature of approximately 25C the CPU runs between about
50C - 54C is this acceptable?

4. I want to use a standard IDE Hard Drive for back up (once every few
weeks). I do not want it permanently connected as I am told it will slow the
SATA hard drive down. So I intend to connect it with leads etc inside the
case, and then disable it from the BIOS, then every now and again enable it
to move files etc across..............With this set up, if it is disabled
will it slow the PC down.

I have GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard
XP 3200 CPU
2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
1 x 160GB SATA HD
FX 5200 128MB AGP Graphics card
DVD-RW

I would be very grateful for any help assistance
TIA

Julie

jpsga
September 11th 04, 01:15 PM

**** Those settings are correct. *****

***** That works, your using just channel A. To take full advantage of the
board consider 1 stick in DDR1 and the other in DDR3.****

**** Thats about right if you're comfortable with it. ***

> 4. I want to use a standard IDE Hard Drive for back up (once every few
> weeks). I do not want it permanently connected as I am told it will slow
the
> SATA hard drive down. So I intend to connect it with leads etc inside the
> case, and then disable it from the BIOS, then every now and again enable
it
> to move files etc across..............With this set up, if it is disabled
> will it slow the PC down.

**** Gee, your SATA drive is connected to a SATA controler not directly to
the IDE ports. Having a full time back drive will not slow anything down.
****

> I have GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard
> XP 3200 CPU
> 2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
> 1 x 160GB SATA HD
> FX 5200 128MB AGP Graphics card
> DVD-RW

*** Looks like a realy nice box, You will be pleased.**
> I would be very grateful for any help assistance
> TIA
>
> Julie

Have fun,
Jim

Julie
September 11th 04, 01:43 PM
"jpsga" > wrote in message
news:s%[email protected]_s54...

> "Julie" > wrote in message
>> I am a newbie to this and just installed a GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard. I
>> wondered if anyone could confirm/answer a couple of questions for me.
> (Spec
>> at bottom)
>>
>> 1. What should be the correct jumper settings for the spec below, I do
>> not
>> want to overclock.
>> I currently have the default XXXXXX and CLK_SW on Auto
> **** Those settings are correct. *****
>

>> 2. Am I correct in thinking the RAM sticks should be in slots 1 and 3
> (same
>> colour)
> ***** That works, your using just channel A. To take full advantage of the
> board consider 1 stick in DDR1 and the other in DDR3.****
>>
>> 3. With a room temperature of approximately 25C the CPU runs between
>> about
>> 50C - 54C is this acceptable?
>>
> **** Thats about right if you're comfortable with it. ***
>
>> 4. I want to use a standard IDE Hard Drive for back up (once every few
>> weeks). I do not want it permanently connected as I am told it will slow
> the
>> SATA hard drive down. So I intend to connect it with leads etc inside the
>> case, and then disable it from the BIOS, then every now and again enable
> it
>> to move files etc across..............With this set up, if it is disabled
>> will it slow the PC down.
>>
> **** Gee, your SATA drive is connected to a SATA controler not directly to
> the IDE ports. Having a full time back drive will not slow anything down.
> ****
>

>> I have GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard
>> XP 3200 CPU
>> 2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
>> 1 x 160GB SATA HD
>> FX 5200 128MB AGP Graphics card
>> DVD-RW
>
> *** Looks like a realy nice box, You will be pleased.**
>> I would be very grateful for any help assistance
>> TIA
>>
>> Julie
>>
> Have fun,
> Jim

Many many thanks for your time and advice.
Just one little query in question 2................I already have the ddr
ram in slots 1 and 3 are you saying leave them there or move them?
Thanks again

Julie

Jason Ash
September 11th 04, 01:56 PM
"Julie" > waxed eloquent in
:

> "jpsga" > wrote in message
> news:s%[email protected]_s54...
>>
>> "Julie" > wrote in message
>>> I am a newbie to this and just installed a GA-7N400 pro 2
>>> motherboard. I wondered if anyone could confirm/answer a couple of
>>> questions for me.
>> (Spec
>>> at bottom)

[SNIP]

>>> 2. Am I correct in thinking the RAM sticks should be in slots 1 and
>>> 3
>> (same
>>> colour)
>> ***** That works, your using just channel A. To take full advantage
>> of the board consider 1 stick in DDR1 and the other in DDR3.****

[SNIP]

>>> I have GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard
>>> XP 3200 CPU
>>> 2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
>>> 1 x 160GB SATA HD
>>> FX 5200 128MB AGP Graphics card
>>> DVD-RW
>>
>> *** Looks like a realy nice box, You will be pleased.**
>>> I would be very grateful for any help assistance
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Julie
>>>
>> Have fun,
>> Jim
>>

> Many many thanks for your time and advice.
> Just one little query in question 2................I already have the
> ddr ram in slots 1 and 3 are you saying leave them there or move them?
> Thanks again
>
> Julie

Leave 'em there. By having them in the same colored slots, the board
will run the RAM in Dual Channel mode. A rough explanation is it would
be similar to a RAID-0 setup for your RAM. You can check out a lot of
the tech sites, they've done some testing on boards (not this on e in
particular) and seen that using dual channel ram vs single channel, does
give a performance boost *as far as ram read/writes goes.* You will
still get a boost in apps, but don't expect miracles.

Nice setup BTW, and did you have any problems fitting on the CPU fan?
I've got a Vantec Aeroflow on this board, and had to take a Dremel tool
to one corner to fit it around a capacitor....
:)

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

Julie
September 11th 04, 02:12 PM
"Jason Ash" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "Julie" > waxed eloquent in
> :
>

>> "jpsga" > wrote in message
>> news:s%[email protected]_s54...

>>> (Spec
>
> [SNIP]

>>> (same
>>> ***** That works, your using just channel A. To take full advantage
>>> of the board consider 1 stick in DDR1 and the other in DDR3.****
>
> [SNIP]

>>> *** Looks like a realy nice box, You will be pleased.**

>>> Have fun,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Many many thanks for your time and advice.
>> Just one little query in question 2................I already have the
>> ddr ram in slots 1 and 3 are you saying leave them there or move them?
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Julie
>>

> Leave 'em there. By having them in the same colored slots, the board
> will run the RAM in Dual Channel mode. A rough explanation is it would
> be similar to a RAID-0 setup for your RAM. You can check out a lot of
> the tech sites, they've done some testing on boards (not this on e in
> particular) and seen that using dual channel ram vs single channel, does
> give a performance boost *as far as ram read/writes goes.* You will
> still get a boost in apps, but don't expect miracles.
>
> Nice setup BTW, and did you have any problems fitting on the CPU fan?
> I've got a Vantec Aeroflow on this board, and had to take a Dremel tool
> to one corner to fit it around a capacitor....
> :)
>
> --
> -------------------------------------
> Reply to for SPAM only
>
> All others use:
> m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk
>
> Remove spaces to send
> Thank you
> -------------------------------------

I originally had the Global Win CAK4-88T but thought it was a bit noisy. I
have just changed that to a Coolmaster Jet 7. The Global I could fit in
about 4 seconds, the Jet 7 took me about 15 minutes. Although it fitted OK
the clips were a ******* to connect, especially the first one (back one).
When I get the time I am going to remove it again as I am certain that the
Artic silver paste I used was pushed all over the place trying to connect
the clips.
The Jet 7 fan is a strange thing; it has a fan controller on it, but by
turning the speed fan up obviously makes it noisier but does not seem to
reduce the temperature