PDA

View Full Version : GA8KNXP Wont PowerDown with SP2

MarcusMD
August 27th 04, 12:08 AM
Am I alone with this problem? When XP Pro (with SP1
slipstreamed) is installed, the PC powers down just fine, always
has. When XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed is installed the PC will
not power down, it goes to a black screen and the only way to shut
it off is to hold the power button in. In this case there are no ACPI
entries of any kind in device manager! Aha! SP2 has something that
prevents it from seeing that this board is ACPI compliant.

I've run this installation several times, always the same result. The cure
is to hit F5 when it says to hit F6, and select ACPI Multiprocessor from
the list, then Enter and hit F6 immediately if you need to load raid drivers
from a floppy, otherwise the setup will not see the SATA drive.

I've asked Gigabyte by email for a cure, no response yet.

Rev 1 board, F10 BIOS

MarcusMD
August 27th 04, 12:14 AM
Ouch, I have an answer from Gigabyte.tw and I don't like it:
quote: SP2 has certain Bugs, please revert back to SP1. If you wish
to use sp2 you will need to contact microsoft regarding this issue
since it works with sp1 end quote.

"MarcusMD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Am I alone with this problem? When XP Pro (with SP1
> slipstreamed) is installed, the PC powers down just fine, always
> has. When XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed is installed the PC will
> not power down, it goes to a black screen and the only way to shut
> it off is to hold the power button in. In this case there are no ACPI
> entries of any kind in device manager! Aha! SP2 has something that
> prevents it from seeing that this board is ACPI compliant.
>
> I've run this installation several times, always the same result. The cure
> is to hit F5 when it says to hit F6, and select ACPI Multiprocessor from
> the list, then Enter and hit F6 immediately if you need to load raid drivers
> from a floppy, otherwise the setup will not see the SATA drive.
>
> I've asked Gigabyte by email for a cure, no response yet.
>
> Rev 1 board, F10 BIOS

Richard Dower
August 27th 04, 07:03 AM
"MarcusMD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Am I alone with this problem? When XP Pro (with SP1
> slipstreamed) is installed, the PC powers down just fine, always
> has. When XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed is installed the PC will
> not power down, it goes to a black screen and the only way to shut
> it off is to hold the power button in. In this case there are no ACPI
> entries of any kind in device manager! Aha! SP2 has something that
> prevents it from seeing that this board is ACPI compliant.
>
> I've run this installation several times, always the same result. The
> cure
> is to hit F5 when it says to hit F6, and select ACPI Multiprocessor from
> the list, then Enter and hit F6 immediately if you need to load raid
> drivers
> from a floppy, otherwise the setup will not see the SATA drive.
>
> I've asked Gigabyte by email for a cure, no response yet.
>
> Rev 1 board, F10 BIOS

I have revision 2.1, no problems here.

Richard Dower
August 27th 04, 07:03 AM
"MarcusMD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ouch, I have an answer from Gigabyte.tw and I don't like it:
> quote: SP2 has certain Bugs, please revert back to SP1. If you wish
> to use sp2 you will need to contact microsoft regarding this issue
> since it works with sp1 end quote.

It's BS...they are just giving you a quick answer because they don't have an
answer.

Rodney Hoyt
August 27th 04, 10:45 AM
I also have revision 2.1 with no problems. Have you upgraded to BIOS FI?
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> "MarcusMD" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Am I alone with this problem? When XP Pro (with SP1
>> slipstreamed) is installed, the PC powers down just fine, always
>> has. When XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed is installed the PC will
>> not power down, it goes to a black screen and the only way to shut
>> it off is to hold the power button in. In this case there are no ACPI
>> entries of any kind in device manager! Aha! SP2 has something that
>> prevents it from seeing that this board is ACPI compliant.
>>
>> I've run this installation several times, always the same result. The
>> cure
>> is to hit F5 when it says to hit F6, and select ACPI Multiprocessor from
>> the list, then Enter and hit F6 immediately if you need to load raid
>> drivers
>> from a floppy, otherwise the setup will not see the SATA drive.
>>
>> I've asked Gigabyte by email for a cure, no response yet.
>>
>> Rev 1 board, F10 BIOS
>>

> I have revision 2.1, no problems here.

MarcusMD
August 27th 04, 04:32 PM
No, I haven't seen a BIOS F1 for the GA-8HNXP rev 1. I'll go look again.

"Rodney Hoyt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
>I also have revision 2.1 with no problems. Have you upgraded to BIOS FI?
> "Richard Dower" > wrote in message
>>
>> "MarcusMD" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Am I alone with this problem? When XP Pro (with SP1
>>> slipstreamed) is installed, the PC powers down just fine, always
>>> has. When XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed is installed the PC will
>>> not power down, it goes to a black screen and the only way to shut
>>> it off is to hold the power button in. In this case there are no ACPI
>>> entries of any kind in device manager! Aha! SP2 has something that
>>> prevents it from seeing that this board is ACPI compliant.
>>> Rev 1 board, F10 BIOS
>>>

>> I have revision 2.1, no problems here.

Richard Dower
August 27th 04, 04:35 PM
"MarcusMD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> No, I haven't seen a BIOS F1 for the GA-8HNXP rev 1. I'll go look again.

It's F11:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm

Download here:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/MotherBoard/FileList/BIOS/bios_8knxp_f11.exe

MarcusMD
August 27th 04, 07:06 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll try it but the only description by Gigabyte indicates that
it fixes a Celeron problem, I'm running Intel P4. I'm about 99% certain
that the problem is in Service Pack 2...fails to recognize that my board
is ACPI compliant.