PDA

View Full Version : Warning on boot up ? comes on again

kenward. rfe
August 17th 04, 10:02 PM
This is on a dual board a GA-6BXDwin2K sp4.

On starting up I get the audible warning and think, Ah yes one of the
CPU fans has packed up. No, both are running fine but the BIOS are
showing
that number one CPU fan is not running. The no one CPU is actually a
degree c lower!

OK I then turn off the warning for both fans and all goes well until
later in the start up and the warning comes on again and stays on. In
desperation I pull the board connector.

I do not want to leave the situation unresolved and wonder if anyone has
any suggestions. Only untoward happening prior to this was I plugged
in an old PCI graphics card to run a second monitor. This turned out
not be any good. I have been using the AGP slot since building this
box several years ago and it has been pretty reliable.

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward

kenward. rfe
August 17th 04, 10:09 PM
In a message dated Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:02:56, kenward. rfe writes:

>This is on a dual board a GA-6BXDwin2K sp4.
>
>On starting up I get the audible warning and think, Ah yes one of the
>CPU fans has packed up. No, both are running fine but the BIOS are
>showing
>that number one CPU fan is not running. The no one CPU is actually a
>degree c lower!
>

>OK I then turn off the warning for both fans and all goes well until
>later in the start up and the warning comes on again and stays on. In
>desperation I pull the board connector.
>
>I do not want to leave the situation unresolved and wonder if anyone
>has any suggestions. Only untoward happening prior to this was I
>plugged in an old PCI graphics card to run a second monitor. This
>turned out not be any good. I have been using the AGP slot since
>building this box several years ago and it has been pretty reliable.
>
>Cheers
>
>Richard

Just a bit of additional infomation....With ALL the alarms turned off
the alarm still sounds but just before the login screen. Any
ideas folk?

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward

kenward. rfe
August 17th 04, 10:21 PM
In a message dated Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:09:42, kenward. rfe writes:

>In a message dated Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:02:56, kenward. rfe writes:
>
>>This is on a dual board a GA-6BXDwin2K sp4.
>>
>>On starting up I get the audible warning and think, Ah yes one of the
>>CPU fans has packed up. No, both are running fine but the BIOS are
>>showing
>>that number one CPU fan is not running. The no one CPU is actually a
>>degree c lower!
>>

>>OK I then turn off the warning for both fans and all goes well until
>>later in the start up and the warning comes on again and stays on.
>>In desperation I pull the board connector.
>>
>>I do not want to leave the situation unresolved and wonder if anyone
>>has any suggestions. Only untoward happening prior to this was I
>>plugged in an old PCI graphics card to run a second monitor. This
>>turned out not be any good. I have been using the AGP slot since
>>building this box several years ago and it has been pretty reliable.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Richard
>
>Just a bit of additional infomation....With ALL the alarms turned off
>the alarm still sounds but just before the login screen. Any
>ideas folk?
>
>Cheers
>
>Richard

A bit more info. Looked at the Event Log and nothing in the System log
though in properties it shows a decent size file. However in the first
event the date and time is the same as for the last one. Changing the
time backwards fails even using Refresh to show anything. The
application log only shows events if refreshed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward

kenward. rfe
August 18th 04, 12:44 PM
In a message dated Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:31:02, Karen Parker writes:

>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:02:56 +0100, "kenward. rfe" >
>wrote:
>
>>This is on a dual board a GA-6BXDwin2K sp4.
>>
>>On starting up I get the audible warning and think, Ah yes one of the
>>CPU fans has packed up. No, both are running fine but the BIOS are
>>showing
>>that number one CPU fan is not running. The no one CPU is actually a
>>degree c lower!
>>

>>OK I then turn off the warning for both fans and all goes well until
>>later in the start up and the warning comes on again and stays on. In
>>desperation I pull the board connector.
>>
>>I do not want to leave the situation unresolved and wonder if anyone has
>>any suggestions. Only untoward happening prior to this was I plugged
>>in an old PCI graphics card to run a second monitor. This turned out
>>not be any good. I have been using the AGP slot since building this
>>box several years ago and it has been pretty reliable.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Richard
>

>If you are using MBM5 then remove it.,.

Dear Karen

What is MBM5 when its at home please? BTW the only change made was
the testing of that old PCI graphics card, and was removed straight away
when found to be too low a spec. The warning sound problems started
the next time the computer was fired up. Its running now as I write
with no problems.... but there is no warning facility which I find
rather unnerving <G>

Cheers

Richard
--