PDA

View Full Version : CPU Problem

Redman
August 16th 04, 08:26 PM
Ok got a call from my brother tonight wondering how to set his keyboard
settings for UK. Sorted that. Whilst I was in device manager I noticed under
the general tab that my CPU is showing as a Athlon Xp 1700 (1.47 Ghz) but I
know for a fact I have an Athlon Xp 2400 (2 Ghz). Thing is I didn't change
it, so what has? I can't seem to change it back in the BIOS which is the F4
version. Anyone shed any light on this problem?

TIA

Redman

Redman
August 16th 04, 09:14 PM
Nope it's running at 133, it was the first thing I checked. I forgot to
mention I'm running the GA-7VAXP Ultra board if that's any help.

Redman

"GTS" > wrote in message
> Sounds like your CPU is running at 100Mhz instead of 133
> Usually this is set by jumper on the mobo when you first install the CPU
> But some mobo's set the CPU frequency in the BIOS instead...Don't know how
> it could change itself though, unless you loaded defaults or removed the
> battery at some stage (they always default to 100).
> "Redman" > wrote in message
> > Ok got a call from my brother tonight wondering how to set his keyboard
> > settings for UK. Sorted that. Whilst I was in device manager I noticed
> under
> > the general tab that my CPU is showing as a Athlon Xp 1700 (1.47 Ghz)
but
> > know for a fact I have an Athlon Xp 2400 (2 Ghz). Thing is I didn't
change
> > it, so what has? I can't seem to change it back in the BIOS which is the
> F4
> > version. Anyone shed any light on this problem?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Redman

GTS
August 16th 04, 10:11 PM
"Redman" > wrote in message
> Ok got a call from my brother tonight wondering how to set his keyboard
> settings for UK. Sorted that. Whilst I was in device manager I noticed
under
> the general tab that my CPU is showing as a Athlon Xp 1700 (1.47 Ghz) but
> know for a fact I have an Athlon Xp 2400 (2 Ghz). Thing is I didn't change
> it, so what has? I can't seem to change it back in the BIOS which is the
F4
> version. Anyone shed any light on this problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Redman

Homer J. Simpson
August 16th 04, 10:28 PM
Have you tried the latest BIOS version? You say that you have Version F4,
the latest version is F14.

You don't mention if you are running a Barton core or a Thoroughbred core
CPU. Barton support was added in BIOS Version F11.

"Redman" > wrote in message
> Nope it's running at 133, it was the first thing I checked. I forgot to
> mention I'm running the GA-7VAXP Ultra board if that's any help.
>
> Redman
>

> "GTS" > wrote in message
> > Sounds like your CPU is running at 100Mhz instead of 133
> > Usually this is set by jumper on the mobo when you first install the CPU
> > But some mobo's set the CPU frequency in the BIOS instead...Don't know
how
> > it could change itself though, unless you loaded defaults or removed the
> > battery at some stage (they always default to 100).
> > "Redman" > wrote in message
> > > Ok got a call from my brother tonight wondering how to set his
keyboard
> > > settings for UK. Sorted that. Whilst I was in device manager I noticed
> > under
> > > the general tab that my CPU is showing as a Athlon Xp 1700 (1.47 Ghz)
> but
> > > know for a fact I have an Athlon Xp 2400 (2 Ghz). Thing is I didn't
> change
> > > it, so what has? I can't seem to change it back in the BIOS which is
the
> > F4
> > > version. Anyone shed any light on this problem?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Redman

Redman
August 17th 04, 08:34 AM
Ok I've managed to fix the problem. On the motherboard there is a block with
6 dip switches that were all set to Auto. I just moved them to make a 15x
multiplier with a 133 FSB and got my 2Ghz back. Still don't know why it
suddenly went to a 1.47Ghz as I've had it all on Auto since I got the board
about 18 months or so ago. The latest BIOS for my board is F6 which I have
also just updated.

Redman

news:[email protected]