PDA

View Full Version : 7VT600 and 7VAXP both funky?!

Ben Simon
June 4th 04, 07:55 AM
I had a 7VAXP which I moved from my workstation to my server. Funny
thing happened when I moved it. Instead of putting in an AGP card, I
installed a dinky PCI video card. I noticed the thing wouldn't boot.
Fans would jerk for a moment and then nothing...but the amber light on
the mb stayed on. So I put the AGP back in. It booted. So I took the
AGP card out and kept out the PCI video card. Still wouldn't boot. I
discovered that if I turn the power supply off and back on again with
the PCI video installed and hit the power button about 10~15 times,
(turning off the power supply each time) eventually it will boot. So
that was that. I left it powered on as a server should be.

The awesome board I replaced the 7VAXP with in my workstation was the
7VT600 with 1394 IEEE built in. I loved this board. Worked great for
about 5 months. Then I removed the board and took it with me on a
trip. I didn't check the bag it was in, carried it onto the plane with
me. When I got to my destination, plugged it in and everything worked
fine. Packed it up, brought it home, and now it is behaving worse than
the 7VAXP. The amber light comes on, the fans jolt briefly. When I CAN
get it to stay on, there is nothing. Just a blank screen. No beeps
from the bios, just a slight crackling noise from the speaker.

Are these two behaviors coincidences even though they sound so
similar? No caps look bad and I have done the usual swapping out of
every part to solidify it is a problem with with the motherboard.

I used to love Gigabyte. Help me love them again!!
Thanks.
-ben

Dimitris
June 4th 04, 03:29 PM
(Ben Simon) wrote in message >...
> I had a 7VAXP which I moved from my workstation to my server. Funny
> thing happened when I moved it. Instead of putting in an AGP card, I
> installed a dinky PCI video card. I noticed the thing wouldn't boot.
> Fans would jerk for a moment and then nothing...but the amber light on
> the mb stayed on. So I put the AGP back in. It booted. So I took the
> AGP card out and kept out the PCI video card. Still wouldn't boot. I
> discovered that if I turn the power supply off and back on again with
> the PCI video installed and hit the power button about 10~15 times,
> (turning off the power supply each time) eventually it will boot. So
> that was that. I left it powered on as a server should be.
>
> The awesome board I replaced the 7VAXP with in my workstation was the
> 7VT600 with 1394 IEEE built in. I loved this board. Worked great for
> about 5 months. Then I removed the board and took it with me on a
> trip. I didn't check the bag it was in, carried it onto the plane with
> me. When I got to my destination, plugged it in and everything worked
> fine. Packed it up, brought it home, and now it is behaving worse than
> the 7VAXP. The amber light comes on, the fans jolt briefly. When I CAN
> get it to stay on, there is nothing. Just a blank screen. No beeps
> from the bios, just a slight crackling noise from the speaker.
>
> Are these two behaviors coincidences even though they sound so
> similar? No caps look bad and I have done the usual swapping out of
> every part to solidify it is a problem with with the motherboard.
>
> I used to love Gigabyte. Help me love them again!!
> Thanks.
> -ben
Taking the board on a trip and back? The board might have been
damaged.
As for the similar symptoms, in the first case the pci video card
might be faulty or incompatible with the board. With the 7vt600 you
have problems with agp card on it right? Maybe its the agp card now
that has problems?
Cant tell much more..Just do a clear cmos with the jumper , it might
help.

Ben Simon
June 4th 04, 09:25 PM
> Taking the board on a trip and back? The board might have been
> damaged.
> As for the similar symptoms, in the first case the pci video card
> might be faulty or incompatible with the board. With the 7vt600 you
> have problems with agp card on it right? Maybe its the agp card now
> that has problems?
> Cant tell much more..Just do a clear cmos with the jumper , it might
> help.

Thanks for your time.
If you reread my message, you'll see that,
1) The pci card is not faulty. It works after a few tries. Will the
7vaxp not boot if no video card is present? If that isn't the case,
then it is further proof there is nothing wrong with the card since
without a card it was not booting either. (I mean with NO video cards
installed)

2) The agp card is not faulty, as it works fine in other machines, not
to mention I tried multiple agp cards on the 7VT600. The 7VT600
doesn't only have a problem with a video card, it just won't boot no
matter what. I know how to swap parts to narrow down what is at fault.
Give me SOME credit! :-) I've been building computers for 10 years and
even made my way through a good part of an electrical engineering
degree....

Thanks again.
-ben

June 4th 04, 11:14 PM
As for the PCI video card. This might sound dumb, but did you set the BIOS to
boot from AGP or PCI video?

>Thanks for your time.
>If you reread my message, you'll see that,
>1) The pci card is not faulty. It works after a few tries. Will the
>7vaxp not boot if no video card is present? If that isn't the case,
>then it is further proof there is nothing wrong with the card since
>without a card it was not booting either. (I mean with NO video cards
>installed)
>
>2) The agp card is not faulty, as it works fine in other machines, not
>to mention I tried multiple agp cards on the 7VT600. The 7VT600
>doesn't only have a problem with a video card, it just won't boot no
>matter what. I know how to swap parts to narrow down what is at fault.
>Give me SOME credit! :-) I've been building computers for 10 years and
>even made my way through a good part of an electrical engineering
>degree....
>
>Thanks again.
>-ben

Dimitris
June 5th 04, 05:44 AM
(Ben Simon) wrote in message >...
> > Taking the board on a trip and back? The board might have been
> > damaged.
> > As for the similar symptoms, in the first case the pci video card
> > might be faulty or incompatible with the board. With the 7vt600 you
> > have problems with agp card on it right? Maybe its the agp card now
> > that has problems?
> > Cant tell much more..Just do a clear cmos with the jumper , it might
> > help.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> If you reread my message, you'll see that,
> 1) The pci card is not faulty. It works after a few tries. Will the
> 7vaxp not boot if no video card is present? If that isn't the case,
> then it is further proof there is nothing wrong with the card since
> without a card it was not booting either. (I mean with NO video cards
> installed)
>
> 2) The agp card is not faulty, as it works fine in other machines, not
> to mention I tried multiple agp cards on the 7VT600. The 7VT600
> doesn't only have a problem with a video card, it just won't boot no
> matter what. I know how to swap parts to narrow down what is at fault.
> Give me SOME credit! :-) I've been building computers for 10 years and
> even made my way through a good part of an electrical engineering
> degree....
>
> Thanks again.
> -ben

I say also that the pci card may be incompatible..rare case but it
might.
Cold boot problems sometimes are related to PSU. How many watt is the
power supply unit and how many years old is it? Humidity, dust, and
heat deteriorate a PSU ability to regulate voltages over time.

Ben Simon
June 6th 04, 09:32 AM
Hey, guys.
1) Yes, I set the BIOS to boot from PCI and not AGP.
2) Tried 3 different PSUs.

Thanks.
-ben

Dimitris
June 7th 04, 09:03 AM
(Ben Simon) wrote in message >...
> Hey, guys.
> 1) Yes, I set the BIOS to boot from PCI and not AGP.
> 2) Tried 3 different PSUs.
>
> Thanks.
> -ben

Well it seems that either the processor, or the motherboard or both
have been deteriorated.

Just in case, check fans and temperatures(if you already haven't done
so).

Ben Simon
June 17th 04, 07:10 PM
Well now...here I come with egg on my face. Even though I had tried
two power supplies with the 7VAXP, on a whim I tried a third the other
day. It powered up without the issues I was experiencing before.

The 7VT600 is still dead, though...maybe I'll try a fourth power
supply.
Thanks!
-ben