PDA

View Full Version : So after much reading.....I find this (8knxp-raid 0/ICH5/r)

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 02:39 PM
http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=179581&P=2

I can use my existing raptor, add my new raptor and the software will create
the raid 0 array for me?

Cool. I like easy:-)

Reading on....
Don

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 04:10 PM
Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
"marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
got.

Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
everything that should be enabled, is.

Don

"M-Tech" > wrote in message
> http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=179581&P=2
>

> I can use my existing raptor, add my new raptor and the software will
create
> the raid 0 array for me?
>
> Cool. I like easy:-)
>
> Reading on....
> Don

Richard Dower
May 25th 04, 05:23 PM
"M-Tech" > wrote in message
> Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
> "marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
> got.
>
> Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
> everything that should be enabled, is.

No two systems or setups are the same, never. If you want performance then
set the stripe size to either 64 or 32.

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 06:01 PM
I would assume someone using the same mb/processor/testing program/hd's/i-o
controllers....they are also using a 128 stripe.

Perhaps the difference is between the way I setup my raid, through software
and not a clean install.

Don

"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> "M-Tech" > wrote in message
> > Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
> > "marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
> > got.
> >
> > Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
> > everything that should be enabled, is.
>
> No two systems or setups are the same, never. If you want performance then
> set the stripe size to either 64 or 32.

jpsga
May 26th 04, 01:25 AM
Well
HD Tach;
max=103
min =57.5
avg=88.3
Burst=111.5
access time 8.8ms

Sandra:
Index 80MB/s
note. This is there opinion based on very little data.

Buffered Read=83
Sequential Read = 103
Randon Read=46.
access 12.ms

Sandra claims to be using a data block size of 1024kB. Look like they are.

HD Tach uses 64kB data block and that is too small. HD Tach 3.00 might fix
that.

JPS

"M-Tech" > wrote in message
> Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
> "marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
> got.
>
> Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
> everything that should be enabled, is.
>
> Don
>
> "M-Tech" > wrote in message
> > http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=179581&P=2
> >

> > I can use my existing raptor, add my new raptor and the software will
> create
> > the raid 0 array for me?
> >
> > Cool. I like easy:-)
> >
> > Reading on....
> > Don

M-Tech
May 26th 04, 02:49 AM
My numbers are about the same as yours...wonder how the "test" in the
article got such high numbers?

Thanks
Don

"jpsga" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Well
> HD Tach;
> max=103
> min =57.5
> avg=88.3
> Burst=111.5
> access time 8.8ms
>
> Sandra:
> Index 80MB/s
> note. This is there opinion based on very little data.
>
> Buffered Read=83
> Sequential Read = 103
> Randon Read=46.
> access 12.ms
>
> Sandra claims to be using a data block size of 1024kB. Look like they are.
>
> HD Tach uses 64kB data block and that is too small. HD Tach 3.00 might fix
> that.
>
> JPS
>

> "M-Tech" > wrote in message
> > Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
> > "marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
> > got.
> >
> > Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
> > everything that should be enabled, is.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > "M-Tech" > wrote in message
> > > http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=179581&P=2
> > >

> > > I can use my existing raptor, add my new raptor and the software will
> > create
> > > the raid 0 array for me?
> > >
> > > Cool. I like easy:-)
> > >
> > > Reading on....
> > > Don

jpsga
May 26th 04, 03:15 AM
I believe it was reports like this that got the Sandra guys to bring out the
2004 version. They won't be quite as embarrassed. RAID was never Sandras
thing. Could be next up-date will have more realistic numbers for the

HD Tach went dorment for a while with the old 2.61. Then came 2.7 which was
an improvement. The beta 3.0 looked reasonable . That should be out in June.

Welcome to the world of fast RAID world. It is like sex, ounce you have it
you'll go back!!

JPS