PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Raid....8KNXP ver2.0

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 12:13 AM
My second raptor drive just came in. I'll prolly switch over around
wednesday night. I'm using an 8KNXP ver2.0 and plan on using the intel
controller.

I'm going to scan the ng once again and pick up some helpful hints and was
wondering if anyone had a quick "step by step" to throw at me so I can get
started.

I know enough to plug the sata cables in but that's about it....!!!

Some Q's:
1. What bios options should I select for the intell ICH5R?
2. Any special things to watch out for an I'm installing XP? I know to hit
F5(i think thats it)to install the intel raid driver when queried by the
install.
3. What about partitioning Raid drives? Is that ok? I like to keep all my
data in one partition so I can just back that up and forget about the
rest(programs).
4. What the heck will my file system look like? Will I have a C and D? Or
just one big C?

I know, I have some reading to do:-) Thanks for a head up in the mean time,
once again.

Don

Richard Dower
May 25th 04, 12:53 AM
OK...i will try it this time,

Advanced BIOS Features --

SCSI/RAID Cntrl Boot Order: if you have the Intel, ITE GigaRAID and Silicon
Image Sil 3112A controllers enabled then all three will apper here.

If you disable the ITE GigaRAID and Sil3112A Silicon Image controllers, then
they will disappear from the boot order.

You should then just be left with the Intel RAID Controller being displayed.

First Boot Device = Floppy
Second Boot Device = CD-ROM
Third Boot Device = SCSI

Integrated Peripherals,

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE = Enabled
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE = Disabled, or Enabled...it depends if you plan to
use all four IDE devices or not.

On-Chip SATA = Manual (i'll refer back to this later and ask a question)

SATA Port0 Configure As....SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure As....SATA Port1

SATA RAID Function = Enabled

Onboard H/W SATA = Disabled

Onboard H/W GigaRAID = Disabled.

Now here are my questions about this, i want to disabled everything
possible, disable the GigaRAID and Sil3112A controllers, that should leave
me with just the Intel RAID Controller listed in the SCSI/RAID Controller
Boot Order.

I understand the boot order fully, Floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI...but my questions
come next:

I will be disabling the On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE, meaning that i only have
two IDE optical devices in my PC that will be connected. Having the
Secondary IDE channel enabled is just wasting an IRQ and resources, moving
on......

The manual states that the On-Chip SATA controller is set to "Manual" by
default, but what happens if is set it to "Auto"?

Someone suggested that SATA hard drives will not work when set to "Auto",
but the manual say's this....."`Auto` - when there is no device to be
plugged in the IDE1 or IDE2, SATA controller will remap to IDE controller".

Setting "Auto" will remap over the IDE, but what happens if you do have IDE
devices connected to IDE1?....what happens if you disable IDE2?

What then?, you've disabled IDE2 and have two optical drives connected to
the Primary and Seconary connectors of IDE1??

Surely under these conditions the SATA hard drive/drives will work under
Windows XP and allow you to set the On-Chip SATA to "Auto" instead of
"Manual".

Also here, SATA RAID Function, why set it to "Enabled"?...if you only have
one SATA drive you should be able to set it to disabled....why?

Quote "enable SATA RAID function when SATA mode set to SATA Port0 & SATA
Port1 only", this means you ONLY enable it if you have two SATA devices
connected to both ports, if you only have one you should be able to disable
this option and run one SATA hard drive in "BASE"/
single drive mode.

So i guess it all depends if you have two SATA hard drives and want to run a
RAID array or a single drive. If you only have one drive you can disable the
SATA RAID Function.

If you only have one SATA drive you can set the On-Chip SATA to Auto instead
of Manual. If you have all four IDE devices connected to IDE1 and IDE2 then
the Intel controller will not remap over the SATA ports.

If you only have two devices connected to an IDE, such as two optical drives
on IDE1, then it will remap IDE2 over SATA Port1...but that dosen't matter,
as you're only using ONE Serial ATA hard drive.

This is my take on it anyways after alot of reading, it all depends on what
you are doing, if you're running two SATA drives or one, four IDE devices or
two, enable or disable other controllers etc.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Richard Dower
May 25th 04, 12:56 AM
"M-Tech" > wrote in message

> 3. What about partitioning Raid drives? Is that ok? I like to keep all
my
> data in one partition so I can just back that up and forget about the
> rest(programs).

If you only have one partition then your question below this is mute, if you
only create one partition in Windows then all you will see is the C drive
and it's capacity will be 140GB or so, depending if you have the 36 or 74GB
version of the Raptor.

> 4. What the heck will my file system look like? Will I have a C and D?
Or
> just one big C?

Read above,

Richard Dower
May 25th 04, 01:04 AM
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> If you only have two devices connected to an IDE, such as two optical
drives
> on IDE1, then it will remap SATA Port1 over IDE2...but that dosen't
matter,
> as you're only using ONE Serial ATA hard drive.

In fact, if you disable in the BIOS On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE then in theory
nothing should be remapped, SATA Port1 should not remap over IDE2 if you
have already disabled the On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE.

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 12:52 PM
I meant having two partitions...... on a raid setup, so I can keep my data
on a "d" drive even though I'm running raid. Is that possible?

I'm still reading...and learning..LOL

Thanks for your help.

Don
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> "M-Tech" > wrote in message
>
> > 3. What about partitioning Raid drives? Is that ok? I like to keep
all
> my
> > data in one partition so I can just back that up and forget about the
> > rest(programs).
>
> If you only have one partition then your question below this is mute, if
you
> only create one partition in Windows then all you will see is the C drive
> and it's capacity will be 140GB or so, depending if you have the 36 or
74GB
> version of the Raptor.
>

> > 4. What the heck will my file system look like? Will I have a C and D?
> Or
> > just one big C?
>

> Read above,

Richard Dower
May 25th 04, 05:21 PM
"M-Tech" > wrote in message
> I meant having two partitions...... on a raid setup, so I can keep my data
> on a "d" drive even though I'm running raid. Is that possible?
>
> I'm still reading...and learning..LOL
>
> Thanks for your help.

Yes...you just set your partitions in Windows when the OS is being setup,
the default drive for OS installiation is C, then you can create other
paritions.

But people suggest that you create one single partition when using RAID 0
Raptors, then buy an additonal 160GB IDE drive for backup and data.

M-Tech
May 25th 04, 06:02 PM
Ah, makes sense...Thanks again.

Don

"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> "M-Tech" > wrote in message
> > I meant having two partitions...... on a raid setup, so I can keep my
data
> > on a "d" drive even though I'm running raid. Is that possible?
> >
> > I'm still reading...and learning..LOL
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> Yes...you just set your partitions in Windows when the OS is being setup,
> the default drive for OS installiation is C, then you can create other
> paritions.
>
> But people suggest that you create one single partition when using RAID 0
> Raptors, then buy an additonal 160GB IDE drive for backup and data.

Richard Dower
May 26th 04, 12:10 AM
"M-Tech" > wrote in message
> Ah, makes sense...Thanks again.
>
> Don

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0

Good prices, take your pick...or today's special offer:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-011&depa=0

2MB chache though, won't make a big difference if you only want a drive for
backup and data storage.

M-Tech
May 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Yep, I buy all my stuff from "the egg".. hehe.

Don