PDA

View Full Version : GA-7IXE4 with large hard drives?

Paul Kitching
May 20th 04, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I have a GA-7IXE4 motherboard (BIOS F7) and I want to add a 160Gb HD
to my existing 60 & 30 GB ones. That leaves me a free IDE device for
my DVD Re-Writer.

I have read that some revisions don't support >80Gb HD's. Does anyone
know if BIOS F7 does?

Also, at the moment I have my 30 & 60Gb on one channel and a CD RW &
DVD RW on the other. Will it be okay to just swap the CD RW for the
new 160Gb drive and make it the slave, or should I put it on the end
of the cable and make it the master (or some other combination)?

Thanks for any help,

Paul.

P.S. I asked Gigabyte on their site (http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/),
but it has been a week now and it hasn't even been looked at. Since
then I have had a bad block appear on one of my other drives so I want
to get a new drive as soon as possible.

Matt
May 21st 04, 05:42 PM
On 20 May 2004 06:00:07 -0700, (Paul Kitching)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a GA-7IXE4 motherboard (BIOS F7) and I want to add a 160Gb HD
>to my existing 60 & 30 GB ones. That leaves me a free IDE device for
>my DVD Re-Writer.
>
>I have read that some revisions don't support >80Gb HD's. Does anyone
>know if BIOS F7 does?
>
>Also, at the moment I have my 30 & 60Gb on one channel and a CD RW &
>DVD RW on the other. Will it be okay to just swap the CD RW for the
>new 160Gb drive and make it the slave, or should I put it on the end
>of the cable and make it the master (or some other combination)?
>
>Thanks for any help,

I think you'll be out of luck with a 160Gb (uses 48 bit LBA
addressing) with ANY bios on an older board, unless the drive maker
offers a utility that can do it the same way as the old large drive
DDO's

What OS, as there could be another issue there of 48 bit LBA support
(drives larger than 120Gb).

I went to BIOS FAd ages ago - rather disappointed they never bothered
to do a final version of FA, and run an 80Gb with that... wouldn't
trust it to be able to go any higher than 120 though.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

Paul Kitching
May 22nd 04, 04:55 PM
Matt > wrote in message >...
> On 20 May 2004 06:00:07 -0700, (Paul Kitching)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a GA-7IXE4 motherboard (BIOS F7) and I want to add a 160Gb HD
> >to my existing 60 & 30 GB ones. That leaves me a free IDE device for
> >my DVD Re-Writer.
> >
> >I have read that some revisions don't support >80Gb HD's. Does anyone
> >know if BIOS F7 does?
> >
> >Also, at the moment I have my 30 & 60Gb on one channel and a CD RW &
> >DVD RW on the other. Will it be okay to just swap the CD RW for the
> >new 160Gb drive and make it the slave, or should I put it on the end
> >of the cable and make it the master (or some other combination)?
> >
> >Thanks for any help,
>
> I think you'll be out of luck with a 160Gb (uses 48 bit LBA
> addressing) with ANY bios on an older board, unless the drive maker
> offers a utility that can do it the same way as the old large drive
> DDO's
>
> What OS, as there could be another issue there of 48 bit LBA support
> (drives larger than 120Gb).
>
> I went to BIOS FAd ages ago - rather disappointed they never bothered
> to do a final version of FA, and run an 80Gb with that... wouldn't
> trust it to be able to go any higher than 120 though.

Thanks for the info.

I am using Win98SE.

I might go for a 120Gb one if 160 is too much.

Paul.