PDA

View Full Version : SATA HDD Probs

Nick Jensen
May 16th 04, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a new SATA HDD today. It's a Maxtor 250gb 7200RPM with 8mb
cache.

I plugged it in and the system booted fine, Windows told me it had detected
a new RAID device and wanted me to install the drivers.

Before installing the drivers, I went into computer management to see if I
could access the drive yet and format it. It didn't detect any additional
drives.

I installed the Intel RAID drivers from my motherboard's site (I have a
Gigabyte 8I875P, Intel 875P chipset), then went back into computer
management and the drive was detected. I formatted it and I could access
it.

When I restarted my computer however, the problems began. The system would
not boot with the SATA drive plugged in. The only way I can get into
Windows is by unplugging the drive. I have tried uninstalling the Intel
RAID drivers, yet it says that it's unable to uninstall as the software is
managing the RAID controller on my system.

When I go into the application (Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition)
it now says "The Intel(R) Application Accelerator Driver was not detected.
The application will now exit. Please verify driver is correctly installed.
When trying to reinstall the driver it says "Incompatible hardware. This
software is not supported on this chipset."

Also, in device manager the Intel device is no longer under SCSI and RAID
Controllers as it was before.

I am using Windows XP Professional.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nick Jensen

Unknown
May 16th 04, 01:35 PM
"Nick Jensen" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought a new SATA HDD today. It's a Maxtor 250gb 7200RPM with 8mb
> cache.
>
> I plugged it in and the system booted fine, Windows told me it had
detected
> a new RAID device and wanted me to install the drivers.
>
> Before installing the drivers, I went into computer management to see if I
> could access the drive yet and format it. It didn't detect any additional
> drives.
>
> I installed the Intel RAID drivers from my motherboard's site (I have a
> Gigabyte 8I875P, Intel 875P chipset), then went back into computer
> management and the drive was detected. I formatted it and I could access
> it.
>
> When I restarted my computer however, the problems began. The system
would
> not boot with the SATA drive plugged in. The only way I can get into
> Windows is by unplugging the drive. I

Do you possibly have BIOS set to boot from other devices?

Nick Jensen
May 16th 04, 03:18 PM
I checked and at number one in the Hard Disk boot order was "Add-on cards"
or something along those lines.

I changed that to be second and my actual boot drive to be first, and this
seems to have fixed it. Weird though as the SATA/RAID controllers are
integrated in the M/B.

Thanks heaps Unknown!

Nick

"Unknown" > wrote in message

> "Nick Jensen" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just bought a new SATA HDD today. It's a Maxtor 250gb 7200RPM with
8mb
> > cache.
> >
> > I plugged it in and the system booted fine, Windows told me it had
> detected
> > a new RAID device and wanted me to install the drivers.
> >
> > Before installing the drivers, I went into computer management to see if
> > could access the drive yet and format it. It didn't detect any
additional
> > drives.
> >
> > I installed the Intel RAID drivers from my motherboard's site (I have a
> > Gigabyte 8I875P, Intel 875P chipset), then went back into computer
> > management and the drive was detected. I formatted it and I could
access
> > it.
> >
> > When I restarted my computer however, the problems began. The system
> would
> > not boot with the SATA drive plugged in. The only way I can get into
> > Windows is by unplugging the drive. I
>
> Do you possibly have BIOS set to boot from other devices?

Unknown
May 16th 04, 10:31 PM
"Nick Jensen" > wrote in message
> I checked and at number one in the Hard Disk boot order was "Add-on cards"
> or something along those lines.

Yep, that'd do it!

> I changed that to be second and my actual boot drive to be first, and this
> seems to have fixed it. Weird though as the SATA/RAID controllers are
> integrated in the M/B.

Live by the rule "**** happens" with computers. You will be surprised but
not amazingly so, then! No doubt before you shoved all that in, "C" drive
was first in the order. The thing is that some people prefer to boot off the
Sata. Not sure of the speed now but I know back when it was starting to
become "a thing" it was definitely a faster drive thus the preferred boot
device.

Yes, Rod, correct me. I admitted I am unsure of the speed of a SATA right at
this moment! Whatever the speed, I still prefer to boot off the old "C"
drive as normal for now.

> Thanks heaps Unknown!

No problemos.