PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro hangs on hibernate or suspend with GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)

Outlook User
May 15th 04, 02:07 PM
I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
suspend" screen.

The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).

I am running in single channel mode.

The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

New.Blueyonder
May 16th 04, 04:02 AM
I have exactly the same set up with exactly the same problem. I assumed it
was something I'd done wrong, but on hearing your problem it has me
thinking, so 'ill look into it further and try and post a solution if I find
one.

7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
XP 2800+
1 x 512mb Kingston 400
2 X 120gb Raid 0
XP fully Patched
Nec 1300A DVD Writer
Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
Bios FD

I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
importantly a solution.

Thanks

Paul.

"Outlook User" > wrote in message
om...
> I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> suspend" screen.
>
> The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
>
> I am running in single channel mode.
>
> The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Dimitris
May 16th 04, 08:13 AM
(Outlook User) wrote in message >...
> I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> suspend" screen.
>
> The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
>
> I am running in single channel mode.
>
> The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Maybe the graphic card drivers dont cooperate well with your new mobo.
Remove the graphic card drivers, boot in winxp using vga mode drivers
and see if suspend and/or hibernate work.

Also the power supply unit may not supply correct the standby voltage.
Check the voltages.

Post detail specification of your machine(including how many watt is
your PSU).

New.Blueyonder
May 16th 04, 08:43 AM
I have exactly the same set up with exactly the same problem. I assumed it
was something I'd done wrong, but on hearing your problem it has me
thinking, so 'ill look into it further and try and post a solution if I find
one.

7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
XP 2800+
1 x 512mb Kingston 400
2 X 120gb Raid 0
XP fully Patched
Nec 1300A DVD Writer
Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
550 Watt PSU
Bios FD

I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
importantly a solution.

Thanks

Paul.

"Outlook User" > wrote in message
om...
> I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> suspend" screen.
>
> The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
>
> I am running in single channel mode.
>
> The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

New.Blueyonder
May 16th 04, 08:48 AM
MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.

7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
XP 2800+
1 x 512mb Kingston 400
2 X 120gb Raid 0
XP fully Patched
Nec 1300A DVD Writer
Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
550 Watts PSU
Bios FD

I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
importantly a solution.

Thanks

Paul.
"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> (Outlook User) wrote in message
> > I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> > my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> > all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> > available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> > hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> > failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> > fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> > suspend" screen.
> >
> > The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
> >
> > I am running in single channel mode.
> >
> > The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
>
> Maybe the graphic card drivers dont cooperate well with your new mobo.
> Remove the graphic card drivers, boot in winxp using vga mode drivers
> and see if suspend and/or hibernate work.
>
> Also the power supply unit may not supply correct the standby voltage.
> Check the voltages.
>
> Post detail specification of your machine(including how many watt is
> your PSU).

Dimitris
May 16th 04, 03:31 PM
"New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message >...
> MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.
>
> 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
> XP 2800+
> 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
> 2 X 120gb Raid 0
> XP fully Patched
> Nec 1300A DVD Writer
> Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
> 550 Watts PSU
> Bios FD
>

> I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
> importantly a solution.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.
Before troubleshooting for suspend mode, check if you can have your
monitor turned off by software . Put a turn off monitor time in the
power options in the control panel and check to see if winxp is able
to shut the monitor, and then to come back by a key press or mouse
move. (I am not talking about screensaver) . If this doesnt work then
it is a graphic card problem. However if it does work, then you i see
two possible causes:
1) Bios misconfiguration or problem(except power management option
check if APIC is enabled), or
2) PSU though 550w doesnt supply correct standby voltage. Whats the
brand of the psu?
Something tells me that you ll have to wait either for a bios update
or for a nvidia chipset driver update afterall.

Outlook User
May 16th 04, 03:39 PM
Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into VGA
mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:

Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video
was very corrupted.

Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.

Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia,
and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.

Some of you asked about my configuration:

GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
Netgear FA213 ethernet
Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
configuration
TDK CD RW
Pioneer DVD ROM drive
512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

"New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message >...
> I have exactly the same set up with exactly the same problem. I assumed it
> was something I'd done wrong, but on hearing your problem it has me
> thinking, so 'ill look into it further and try and post a solution if I find
> one.
>
> 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
> XP 2800+
> 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
> 2 X 120gb Raid 0
> XP fully Patched
> Nec 1300A DVD Writer
> Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
> 550 Watt PSU
> Bios FD
>

> I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
> importantly a solution.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.
>

> "Outlook User" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> > my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> > all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> > available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> > hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> > failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> > fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> > suspend" screen.
> >
> > The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
> >
> > I am running in single channel mode.
> >
> > The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

GTS
May 16th 04, 05:27 PM
Only times I have had problems with STR were always driver related. I had an
old Trust sound card that prevented STR from working properly (would not
wake up), and the most mysterious was after upgrading to XP pro- It took me
ages to find what was wrong but it turned out to be the WDM driver for my
Hauppage TV card. Even though the device was not in use when suspending it
either would not wake or would wake with corrupted video. Installing the
latest WDM driver from Hauppage solved the problem.
Graham

"Outlook User" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into VGA
> mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:
>
> Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video
> was very corrupted.
>
> Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.
>
> Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia,
> and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.
>
> Some of you asked about my configuration:
>
> GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
> Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
> Netgear FA213 ethernet
> Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
> 2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
> configuration
> TDK CD RW
> Pioneer DVD ROM drive
> 512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
> RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> "New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message
> > I have exactly the same set up with exactly the same problem. I assumed
it
> > was something I'd done wrong, but on hearing your problem it has me
> > thinking, so 'ill look into it further and try and post a solution if I
find
> > one.
> >
> > 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
> > XP 2800+
> > 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
> > 2 X 120gb Raid 0
> > XP fully Patched
> > Nec 1300A DVD Writer
> > Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
> > 550 Watt PSU
> > Bios FD
> >

> > I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
> > importantly a solution.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> > "Outlook User" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
> > > my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
> > > all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
> > > available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
> > > hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
> > > failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
> > > fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
> > > suspend" screen.
> > >
> > > The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).
> > >
> > > I am running in single channel mode.
> > >
> > > The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael

Dimitris
May 16th 04, 06:05 PM
(Outlook User) wrote in message >...
> Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into VGA
> mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:
>
> Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video
> was very corrupted.
>
> Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.
>
> Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia,
> and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.
>
> Some of you asked about my configuration:
>
> GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
> Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
> Netgear FA213 ethernet
> Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
> 2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
> configuration
> TDK CD RW
> Pioneer DVD ROM drive
> 512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
> RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

The Vga mode was my suggestion . I like to get the credit for
success(not absolute success though). Anyway, you forgot to mention
your PSU power. Nevertheless i tend to believe it is something that
will be corrected with nvidia driver updates either for the
motherboard chipset or for the graphic card. I would suggest you go
buy a more recent video card, something like a Radeon 9200 128mb, or a
geforce 5200 128mb if you dont like changing camps(from nVidia to
ATi). Offcourse you could argue that the other guy with an ATi had
exactly the same problem. Taking that into mind my conclusion is that
AGP bus may doesnt behave correctly during suspend process..
Install the drivers for the graphic card but disable AGP bus, using
either directx diag(dxdiag.exe) or using Powerstrip fron entech. Then
try to suspend again. I believe it will work, and the perfomance hit
wont be so big in a Geforce2.
Try to search the forums at www.nvnews.net for similar problems. There
might be a better solution there.

jpsga
May 17th 04, 04:58 AM
Wait a minuet, I use the ATI 9200 for VGA card and the S3 suspend works very
well 7N400. I does complain if I leave a CD in the CD-RW drive.
JPS

"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> (Outlook User) wrote in message
> > Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into VGA
> > mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:
> >
> > Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video
> > was very corrupted.
> >
> > Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.
> >
> > Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia,
> > and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.
> >
> > Some of you asked about my configuration:
> >
> > GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
> > Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
> > Netgear FA213 ethernet
> > Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
> > 2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
> > configuration
> > TDK CD RW
> > Pioneer DVD ROM drive
> > 512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
> > RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
> >
> The Vga mode was my suggestion . I like to get the credit for
> success(not absolute success though). Anyway, you forgot to mention
> your PSU power. Nevertheless i tend to believe it is something that
> will be corrected with nvidia driver updates either for the
> motherboard chipset or for the graphic card. I would suggest you go
> buy a more recent video card, something like a Radeon 9200 128mb, or a
> geforce 5200 128mb if you dont like changing camps(from nVidia to
> ATi). Offcourse you could argue that the other guy with an ATi had
> exactly the same problem. Taking that into mind my conclusion is that
> AGP bus may doesnt behave correctly during suspend process..
> Install the drivers for the graphic card but disable AGP bus, using
> either directx diag(dxdiag.exe) or using Powerstrip fron entech. Then
> try to suspend again. I believe it will work, and the perfomance hit
> wont be so big in a Geforce2.
> Try to search the forums at www.nvnews.net for similar problems. There
> might be a better solution there.

Outlook User
May 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
My PSU is a 365 watt Enermax Whisper. Please note that I had no
problem with hibernate before the MB switch, though suspend didn't
work on the old motherboard (a Gigabyte 7VRXP) either.

Michael

(Dimitris) wrote in message >...
> "New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message >...
> > MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.
> >
> > 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
> > XP 2800+
> > 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
> > 2 X 120gb Raid 0
> > XP fully Patched
> > Nec 1300A DVD Writer
> > Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
> > 550 Watts PSU
> > Bios FD
> >

> > I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
> > importantly a solution.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul.
> Before troubleshooting for suspend mode, check if you can have your
> monitor turned off by software . Put a turn off monitor time in the
> power options in the control panel and check to see if winxp is able
> to shut the monitor, and then to come back by a key press or mouse
> move. (I am not talking about screensaver) . If this doesnt work then
> it is a graphic card problem. However if it does work, then you i see
> two possible causes:
> 1) Bios misconfiguration or problem(except power management option
> check if APIC is enabled), or
> 2) PSU though 550w doesnt supply correct standby voltage. Whats the
> brand of the psu?
> Something tells me that you ll have to wait either for a bios update
> or for a nvidia chipset driver update afterall.

Outlook User
May 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Also, my monitor can (and does) go into low power mode with no
problem. APIC is set for level 3 (suspend to RAM).

(Dimitris) wrote in message >...
> "New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message >...
> > MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.
> >
> > 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
> > XP 2800+
> > 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
> > 2 X 120gb Raid 0
> > XP fully Patched
> > Nec 1300A DVD Writer
> > Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
> > 550 Watts PSU
> > Bios FD
> >

> > I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
> > importantly a solution.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul.
> Before troubleshooting for suspend mode, check if you can have your
> monitor turned off by software . Put a turn off monitor time in the
> power options in the control panel and check to see if winxp is able
> to shut the monitor, and then to come back by a key press or mouse
> move. (I am not talking about screensaver) . If this doesnt work then
> it is a graphic card problem. However if it does work, then you i see
> two possible causes:
> 1) Bios misconfiguration or problem(except power management option
> check if APIC is enabled), or
> 2) PSU though 550w doesnt supply correct standby voltage. Whats the
> brand of the psu?
> Something tells me that you ll have to wait either for a bios update
> or for a nvidia chipset driver update afterall.

relic
May 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
Outlook User wrote:
> Also, my monitor can (and does) go into low power mode with no
> problem. APIC is set for level 3 (suspend to RAM).
>
> (Dimitris) wrote in message
>> "New.Blueyonder" > wrote in message
>>> MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.
>>>
>>> 7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
>>> XP 2800+
>>> 1 x 512mb Kingston 400
>>> 2 X 120gb Raid 0
>>> XP fully Patched
>>> Nec 1300A DVD Writer
>>> Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
>>> 550 Watts PSU
>>> Bios FD
>>>

>>> I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and
>>> more importantly a solution.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Paul.
>> Before troubleshooting for suspend mode, check if you can have your
>> monitor turned off by software . Put a turn off monitor time in the
>> power options in the control panel and check to see if winxp is able
>> to shut the monitor, and then to come back by a key press or mouse
>> move. (I am not talking about screensaver) . If this doesnt work then
>> it is a graphic card problem. However if it does work, then you i see
>> two possible causes:
>> 1) Bios misconfiguration or problem(except power management option
>> check if APIC is enabled), or
>> 2) PSU though 550w doesnt supply correct standby voltage. Whats the
>> brand of the psu?
>> Something tells me that you ll have to wait either for a bios update
>> or for a nvidia chipset driver update afterall.

You'd be better off setting the BIOS back to its defaults. Customizing them
can mess up the XP installation (i.e., PnP OS).

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.