PDA

View Full Version : 8KNXP rev. 2.0

Richard Dower
May 11th 04, 03:27 PM
So this is the board i am getting, just got confirmation today. I downloaded
all the least drivers for everything, BIOS, Intel, ITE, Sil etc.

My question is...what drivers do i need for the ICH5R?...do i need to
download:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CUTL&ProductID=961&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

I assume i need the floppy disk drivers, while the software is for within
Windows after XP Pro installiation?

What other drivers do i need to install?...any advice is appreciated.

Russell
May 11th 04, 06:04 PM
Hi Richard,

We use this board in some of our systems.

1. The first thing you'll want to do , after having installed the hardware,
would be to flash to the latest FH Bios, which you can grab along with
flashing instructions at our website at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/bios/bios_8knxp.htm.

2. Restart your machine and enter the BIOS menu again, enable the advanced
menu selections by pressing CTRL+F1 simultaneously, then set your
preferences for enabled controllers, ports, time, boot devices and boot
order (CD/Floppy/HD), and it's a good idea to up the memory voltage by +.1
to 2.7 volts or thereabouts. If you're creating a RAID configuration with 2
or more drives connected to the Intel ICH5-R, the Silicon Image SATA, or the
ITE GigaRAID IDE3/4, make sure that you've enabled them in the main BIOS
first. Disable any of them that you will not have drives connected to in
order to minimize the possibility of device conflicts.

3. Restart, and if any or all of the Intel/SilImg/GigaRAID ports have 2
drives each, their separate RAID controller BIOS's will have been enabled,
allowing you to enter each controller's separate configuration menu during
the POST routine. You'd be prompted briefly onscreen to press a key
combination to enter each configuration menu of any applicable controller
BIOS that has 2 drives attached (provided you've enabled the particular
controller(s) in your motherboard's BIOS in step 2 above.) If you only have
one drive attached to a particular controller, it's separate BIOS menu
prompt will not appear, and the default non-RAID (BASE) mode will be the
default. If you do have 2 drives attached to a particular controller, you
can enter it's configuration menu, then create a hardware RAID array
(BASE/RAID 0/RAID1). If you don't want to run the drives in a RAID array,
set them as normal (BASE).

4. Already have F6 OS slip-stream floppy(s) ready for any enabled
controllers, especially for the controller that will have the drive(s)
housing the operating system. You can download self-extracting floppy
creators at my web site:
Intel ICH5-R:
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/intel_application_accelerator_raid_edition_floppy. htm
Silicon Image:
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/silimg3112_sataraid.htm
ITE GigaRAID: http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/ite_gigaraid.htm

5. Reboot after setting up the RAID controller BIOS(s) in step 3 above.
Have your Windows XP CD in an optical drive (previously included in the boot
order of your motherboard's BIOS in step 2 above) and watch carefully for
the prompt to press 'F6' to specify additional device drivers. You'll be
prompted to insert the floppy(s) one at a time a bit later during the
installation routine.

6. You'll be given the opportunity to partition and format recognized hard
drives during the installation. (Note that a RAID 0 array will be
recognized as one volume having the combined capacity of both attached
drives; a RAID 1 array will be recognized as one volume having half the
capacity of both attached drives.) Remember to eject any F6 floppies when
prompted before the installation reboots, and when rebooted for the first
time, DO NOT press any keys when the screen prompts you to press any key to
boot from CD...your hard drive(s) will now have been made bootable by the
WinXP installation routine, and you should let it just go ahead and boot
from the hard drive(s). Otherwise, you'll be caught in a loop of starting
the installation all over again from CD.

7. Follow all prompts, customizing your preferences during installation.
You'll need your unique CD key during this phase. If you're not sure about
particular settings for any networking components, just select the defaults;
you can always change any of these setting later from within Windows.

8. After Windows has completed installation, the first thing you'll want to
install would be the chipset drivers, which you can grab from my web site at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/intel_chipset.htm.

9. Reboot, then install the LAN drivers if you have a broadband internet/LAN
connection http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/b875maxlan.htm. A
separate hardware router/firewall is suggested.

10. Immediately install all critical Windows Updates from
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

11. Install the latest version of DirectX from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A6DEE0DB-DCCE-43EA-87BB-7C7E1FD1EAA2&displaylang=en.

12. Install your AGP graphics drivers and optional programs. If you have
an ATI RADEON series card, instructions and download links can be found at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/ati_drivers.htm.

13. Check for and install the latest firmware for any optical drives. If
you have a Plextor or Sony DVD/CD burner, some latest firmware files and
instructions can be found at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/firmware.htm. Check the
particular manufacturer's website for other brands/drives.

14. Install any other hardware drivers for soundcard/onboard sound, modem,
peripherals, etc. If you're using the onboard sound, the latest drivers can
be found at http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/realtek_sound.htm.

15. Customize your Windows settings to your liking and install any
additional software/update patches. Remember to install and update an
antivirus program!

I hope this has been helpful to you. The GA-8KNXP motherboard is a good
one, and you should be very happy with it.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"Richard Dower" > wrote in message
> So this is the board i am getting, just got confirmation today. I
downloaded
> all the least drivers for everything, BIOS, Intel, ITE, Sil etc.
>
> My question is...what drivers do i need for the ICH5R?...do i need to
> download:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CUTL&ProductID=961&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

> I assume i need the floppy disk drivers, while the software is for within
> Windows after XP Pro installiation?
>
> What other drivers do i need to install?...any advice is appreciated.

Richard Dower
May 11th 04, 08:53 PM
WOW!...this is first class info right here, excellent work all round.. thank
you. I am just tryna read and research everything about this motherboard to
make the build less frustrating.

I do have a GA-8INXP at the moment, but 800MHz FSB calls me.

:-)

"Russell" <[email protected]_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
message news:[email protected]_s03...
> [...]
>
> I hope this has been helpful to you. The GA-8KNXP motherboard is a good
> one, and you should be very happy with it.
>
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com
>
> "Richard Dower" > wrote in message
> > So this is the board i am getting, just got confirmation today. I
> downloaded
> > all the least drivers for everything, BIOS, Intel, ITE, Sil etc.
> >
> > My question is...what drivers do i need for the ICH5R?...do i need to
> > download:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CUTL&ProductID=961&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

> > I assume i need the floppy disk drivers, while the software is for
within
> > Windows after XP Pro installiation?
> >
> > What other drivers do i need to install?...any advice is appreciated.

Bryan Majerle
May 12th 04, 04:22 PM
Thanks a lot !

I have a 8knxp (rev1) and i want to re-reinstall (it's a hobby ; ) ) my win
xp pro , Thanks i will use this guide!

A doubt : first time i installed winxp pro i view 2 cpu in task manager (HT
i suppose). On second install i view 1 cpu. In bios HT was always enabled
in booth installation (and btw use intel raid )

What i have done in second install ?

Thanks again

Andres Zanzani
Cesena, Italy

Tragik Magik
May 17th 04, 03:14 PM
Nice job...where were you with this info two months ago when I could
have used it. (grin) I went through hell, learned alot though. This
just shows what a good newsgroup is all about

On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:04:35 GMT, "Russell"