PDA

View Full Version : 8KNXP Rev.2.0 Northbridge Fan Problem


Si
May 8th 04, 02:48 PM
The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding sound
during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the normal
noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even went
as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months old
and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it back
to the shop?

Cheers.

Si

Boudewijn
May 9th 04, 10:05 AM
Hello
Remove the whole fan as I've done. It is not really needed at all.
If you are still worried, replace the heatsink with a passive one from
Zalman which provides better colling than de original fan/heatsink
combination anyway and is quiet!
Good luck,
Boudewijn


"Si" > wrote in message
...
> The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding sound
> during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the
normal
> noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
> one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even
went
> as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months
old
> and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it
back
> to the shop?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Si
>
>

Si
May 9th 04, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go with the suggestion made by
Boudewijn and try one of those Zalman passive heatsinks.

Cheers.

Si


"Dumdedo" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Si" > wrote:
>
> >The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding
sound
> >during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the
normal
> >noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
> >one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even
went
> >as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months
old
> >and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it
back
> >to the shop?
> >
> >Cheers.
> >
> >Si
> >
>
>
>
> I was told by my Dealer that the Fan problems were fixed, as my Last
Gigabyte
> MoBo has similar problems, but I did get a replacement fan from the
Agents
> here though..
>

Bob Davis
May 10th 04, 05:17 AM
Mine's been "grinding" away during the boot process for months and still
works. I'll let it grind away 'til it quits, then either replace or remove
it. Keep in mind that when installing a third-party passive heatsink you'll
likely need to remove the mobo first. I may decide to remove the fan and
lubricate its bearing, as that sometimes works to quieten them down.

As per another suggestion, I think removing the fan altogether is
acceptable, as other 875i mobos, like Asus, come with no fan. I suspect it
is there only to provide extra cooling in the event of extreme overclocking.

"Si" > wrote in message
...
> The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding sound
> during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the
normal
> noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
> one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even
went
> as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months
old
> and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it
back
> to the shop?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Si
>
>

Si
May 10th 04, 02:09 PM
Hey Bob,

I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove the mobo
anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while because
stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests for
new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )

Cheers.

Si

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> Mine's been "grinding" away during the boot process for months and still
> works. I'll let it grind away 'til it quits, then either replace or
remove
> it. Keep in mind that when installing a third-party passive heatsink
you'll
> likely need to remove the mobo first. I may decide to remove the fan and
> lubricate its bearing, as that sometimes works to quieten them down.
>
> As per another suggestion, I think removing the fan altogether is
> acceptable, as other 875i mobos, like Asus, come with no fan. I suspect
it
> is there only to provide extra cooling in the event of extreme
overclocking.
>
> "Si" > wrote in message
> ...
> > The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding
sound
> > during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the
> normal
> > noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming
from
> > one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even
> went
> > as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months
> old
> > and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it
> back
> > to the shop?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Si
> >
> >
>
>

Kris Vorwerk
May 10th 04, 11:39 PM
The Northbridge fan on my 8KNXP rev 1.0 board also seems to grind away
on boot. (My first 8KNXP mobo died a mysterious death after 8 months
-- its fan made the same grinding sound. The RMA replacement's fan
also seems to exhibit the same grinding. I should point out that I do
not believe that the failure of my first board was in any way related
to the Northbridge fan.) I haven't been too concerned about the
grinding sound, as the fan appears to work fine once running. For
now, I've just decided to keep an eye on it, and will contact Gigabyte
if it ever fails.


Regards,
Kris


> I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove the mobo
> anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
> offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while because
> stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests for
> new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )

Si
May 11th 04, 12:15 AM
Hey Kris,

That is weird because exactly the same thing happened to me. This is my
second board after the first one just.......well died. Anyway, I've ordered
a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive heatsink to replace that little screaming fan. I
think I'll also get Gigabyte to send me a replacement fan and heatsink just
in case I don't like this new one.

Cheers.

Si

"Kris Vorwerk" > wrote in message
om...
> The Northbridge fan on my 8KNXP rev 1.0 board also seems to grind away
> on boot. (My first 8KNXP mobo died a mysterious death after 8 months
> -- its fan made the same grinding sound. The RMA replacement's fan
> also seems to exhibit the same grinding. I should point out that I do
> not believe that the failure of my first board was in any way related
> to the Northbridge fan.) I haven't been too concerned about the
> grinding sound, as the fan appears to work fine once running. For
> now, I've just decided to keep an eye on it, and will contact Gigabyte
> if it ever fails.
>
>
> Regards,
> Kris
>
>
> > I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove the
mobo
> > anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
> > offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while because
> > stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests
for
> > new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )

Raju
May 11th 04, 02:50 PM
"Si" > wrote in message
...
> Hey Kris,
>
> That is weird because exactly the same thing happened to me. This is my
> second board after the first one just.......well died. Anyway, I've
ordered
> a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive heatsink to replace that little screaming fan. I
> think I'll also get Gigabyte to send me a replacement fan and heatsink
just
> in case I don't like this new one.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Si
>
> "Kris Vorwerk" > wrote in message
> om...
> > The Northbridge fan on my 8KNXP rev 1.0 board also seems to grind away
> > on boot. (My first 8KNXP mobo died a mysterious death after 8 months
> > -- its fan made the same grinding sound. The RMA replacement's fan
> > also seems to exhibit the same grinding. I should point out that I do
> > not believe that the failure of my first board was in any way related
> > to the Northbridge fan.) I haven't been too concerned about the
> > grinding sound, as the fan appears to work fine once running. For
> > now, I've just decided to keep an eye on it, and will contact Gigabyte
> > if it ever fails.
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kris
> >
> >
> > > I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove
the
> mobo
> > > anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
> > > offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while
because
> > > stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests
> for
> > > new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )
>
>


my GA7 DXR had the same grinding noise, so i opened my case and checked it
out... found it to be the fan, but as it was still runnin, i left it alone.
few weeks later it stopped grinding, so i thought great something was in teh
bearings and has fallen out so no more grinding... checked it a few days
later, and no movement... ended up replacing it with new heatsink+fan
(coolermaster slc-s41) and not even gonna bother with gettin any help from
gigabyte, still got problems with my Ga7 VRXP randomly rebooting and 0 help
from them!

Bob Davis
May 13th 04, 11:14 PM
Someone needs to buy and aftermarket fan and replace the old Gigabyte
grinder, the report back to this forum. Me? Why not. I've thought about
it, but haven't yet since the fan grinds at first, then straighens up and is
silent until restarted. I think it is a standard 40mm fan. Another option
is to lubricate it as I mentioned in an earlier post.

"Si" > wrote in message
...
> Hey Bob,
>
> I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove the
mobo
> anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
> offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while because
> stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests for
> new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )
>
> Cheers.
>
> Si
>
> "Bob Davis" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Mine's been "grinding" away during the boot process for months and still
> > works. I'll let it grind away 'til it quits, then either replace or
> remove
> > it. Keep in mind that when installing a third-party passive heatsink
> you'll
> > likely need to remove the mobo first. I may decide to remove the fan
and
> > lubricate its bearing, as that sometimes works to quieten them down.
> >
> > As per another suggestion, I think removing the fan altogether is
> > acceptable, as other 875i mobos, like Asus, come with no fan. I suspect
> it
> > is there only to provide extra cooling in the event of extreme
> overclocking.
> >
> > "Si" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding
> sound
> > > during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the
> > normal
> > > noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming
> from
> > > one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even
> > went
> > > as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of
months
> > old
> > > and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take
it
> > back
> > > to the shop?
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Si
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>